LED Front Light Bars & Pods

I've been thinking about the kind of lighting I want/need for driving the highways and trails on my hunting trips.

On the highways, big broad and long range beams are nice for when no other vehicles are around.

But I want nicely controlled low beams with good width and distance as well.

On trails, I'm going slower and don't need long range lights, but need to see left and right very close in to turn on tight trails and also to see when coming up a ridge.

I like the idea of that row in the grill where some have installed the single row LED bars.

So I'm thinking of maybe a set of floods that are pretty low power, maybe 2 or 3 LEDs each, pointed pretty sharply outward and down, and a set of floods slightly more powerful pointed straight ahead.

I plan to have HIDs in the main headlights eventually and have already have a HID kit for the fogs that I haven't installed.

Comments on your idea of a setup for my type of use?

You could always get a led bar that has a combo pattern built into it. That is the reason I chose my Rigid Industries 40" E-series combo pattern I have the spot led in the middle and the ends are the flood pattern. I get a nice long distance light and the width from the floods. Unfortunately this doesn't help you for the highway use you mentioned as these are way to bright but maybe you didn't consider these combo bars for the trails, you might save yourself in buying just one light that can do both for you. No matter what you choose, I hope you enjoy it.

I installed a rigid industries light bar its a sr series 30 inch bar behind the grille a while back and works awesome. mounted it right to the hood latch brace that is mounted in front of the radiator. looks clean and works good the only downside is you do lose some of the light trying to get outside of the grille but works good for me driving down the country roads checking things out along the way.

I stumbled on a local California outfit named Baja Designs. Their lights are made in house and warrantied for life. Seems like a real deal kind of American company. They had a video explaining offroad driving light patterns needed. Off course they were talking mainly about racing, but they did mention the need for side lighting to see when turning and sliding. They showed a race truck with a set of lights mounted pointing sharply outward like 45 degrees. They make all kinds of configurations, and types from LED to HID, including bars.

They make a small two LED light that's 2100 lumens each and about 2" x 3" that I think will work for my needs. I plan to run 4 of them. But just ordered 2 for now, just to try them. If they are what I want, I'll order another set. I plan to have a set pointing outward and a set pointing straight ahead. The first set I bought are wide beams. The second set may be tight beams. I want the independent lights so I can adjust them as needed. Straight ahead lighting is going to be covered mainly by the headlights while off road. I drive fairly slowly off road, but winding trails can be hard to see to the side.

The Jeep guys are putting lights on the mirrors pointing out about 20-30 degrees. That's probably the ideal location, but I don't want to get into wiring and mounting in the mirrors.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=480003

480003_zps5a3d75fc.jpg

Here's their approach to lighting needs.

zones_4x4enthusiast_930_zps41214d7b.jpg

Edited by spurshot
  • Like 3

I installed a rigid industries light bar its a sr series 30 inch bar behind the grille a while back and works awesome. mounted it right to the hood latch brace that is mounted in front of the radiator. looks clean and works good the only downside is you do lose some of the light trying to get outside of the grille but works good for me driving down the country roads checking things out along the way.

Can you post a pic?

I was trying to find light output data on those. Nothing out there. 9 watts would lead me to believe they're in the 1000 lumen range (ea). That's about twice the stock fogs. Probably a good setup for the guy wanting to run them on the street (legally). To determine if they'll fit, you need to lay on your back under your bumper and see if there's room for the mounting bracket and adjuster. I think there is...I was looking for another reason lastnight.

Anyone that has removed the stock GMC fogs think these Hella LED fog will fit without a lot of cutting?

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/default/optilux/optilux-4-led-fog-lamp-kit/

Edited by spurshot

Just won a 24" light bar on eBay. Rated at 12,000 lumens. Combo beam. Will go onto my bull bar as soon as i get the chance. Will post up some picture when it comes in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2