Rusty Rocker Panels

I just bought a 2002 Sierra step side pickup. It's in fantastic condition everywhere in and out but the left & right rocker panels. The cab corners are perfect as is the rocker section behind the lower fender on both sides. The door sills are also in fantastic shape! First off WHY does this happen? Second I'd like to fix the cancer that's there. I've been looking at different suppliers and have at this point no clue with whom the buy from. I see they have "slip on" repair panels which looks like what I would want. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that has this problem . I'd love to hear some info back on the issue and possibly some photos of the repair with some pointers using the slip on repair.

post-124878-0-58812100-1382477125_thumb.jpg

post-124878-0-00495000-1382477138_thumb.jpg

post-124878-0-61675700-1382477149_thumb.jpg

No step sides = rock chips & rust. My '08 had HORRIBLE rust and rock chips beside there were no step sides. also on the back fender right in front of the wheel was horrible too. If you look on the 09-13 they have a strip of protection to prevent that though. Major design flaw with the fender with a cheap fix (but it works :thumbs: )

I have an '06 that was starting to get chipped up at the back nerf bar turn in. I see that this was going to be a continual problem so I took the truck to a Line x shop and had them spray the rockers in a color matched covering. So far so good.

I don't know about the cover up rockers, but I would think that the rusting will continue, just hidden from view.

bbwb

If I am you I get the rustoleum stop rust spray, then a can of white paint that matchs your truck. Cover the front side and the under truck side. When I had mine done, total replacement for cab corners and rockers, it was 2200. You still have a lot of good metal there, protect what you can and save to have them replaced. The new skins will last a while but they are pretty flimsy from what my body shop told me.

My silverado is the same way. I've slowed it down a bunch but it's gonna need to be replaced soon. I was hoping to have gotten to it by now. New rockers are only $300. The rest of the cost is labor and paint. I should be able to get it done for around $1000

No step sides = rock chips & rust. My '08 had HORRIBLE rust and rock chips beside there were no step sides. also on the back fender right in front of the wheel was horrible too. If you look on the 09-13 they have a strip of protection to prevent that though. Major design flaw with the fender with a cheap fix (but it works :thumbs: )

Actually we have found that trucks with nerf bars are worse. At the rear where the tube turns in, it kicks rocks straight up. Every single GMT800 in Michigan has this problem it seams. They rot from the inside out. It is really terrible. I have a buddy that has a body shop and he fixes 1-3 Chevy rocker problems every week to the tune of $2500 each. He has a waiting list a mile long.

Actually we have found that trucks with nerf bars are worse. At the rear where the tube turns in, it kicks rocks straight up. Every single GMT800 in Michigan has this problem it seams. They rot from the inside out. It is really terrible. I have a buddy that has a body shop and he fixes 1-3 Chevy rocker problems every week to the tune of $2500 each. He has a waiting list a mile long.

Sorry wasnt talking about nerf bars. Was talking about the straight stepsides you see now on all the GM trucks. I

That doesn't look like chips to me. That looks like it's rusting from the inside.

Yup, if you get under there you will see why. The GMT900 will have the same problem. It is only a matter of time. The rockers hold moisture in the folds of metal. They are open on the ends and if you have any plastic plugs missing.

That doesn't look like chips to me. That looks like it's rusting from the inside.

Yup, if you get under there you will see why. The GMT900 will have the same problem. It is only a matter of time. The rockers hold moisture in the folds of metal. They are open on the ends and if you have any plastic plugs missing.

Umm, like he said a bunch of times lol. These have little to do with stone chips. It is solely due to salt/moisture finding its way into the crevices. My truck is normally kept extremely clean and I always shot used motor oil up inside those holes. It helped but mostly didn't matter because now they are starting to show rot. Heck, most of the Gm trucks around here don't have rockers anymore. I guess I should feel lucky lol

After being a profectionist about my 94 $600 a side and rusted out again after 2 years, I started riveting $44 patch panels on and rattle canning them. I used chip guard or spray on bedliner and clear coat rattle can over it. It looked fine and lasted as long as the "proper" repairs......save some cash, and only the most critical of people will know.... just my opinion

It's not just GM... I see just as many rusted out fords and dodges. Metal rusts.

Yes, Ford and Dodge have very similar issues. I don't seem to notice it as much with Toyota but that's not a real truck anyways lol! Ever since DOT have been using that brine crap they spray everywhere all the time, rust has become a serious issue. This is true for infrastructures and the like even though the EPA said it's safe for everything.

Archived