Choice of rear axle ratio would you pick?

Actually I have. I've driven a truck with both the 3.42's and the 3.08's. I'm cool with 3.42's but 3.08's only deserve to be in your grandparents Buick... Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yes, those 176 screaming RPM's at 70 mph sure separate the grandparents from the kids.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not talking about cruising in V-4 mode on the highway. I'm talking about how the truck feels when you step on the gas when the light turns green our when you step it down to pass someone. There's definitely a difference and the 3.08's felt sluggish to me. I would never buy a truck with them in it. It would be a deal breaker unless the deal was just so unbelievable I couldn't turn it down. If that happened I'd be on the phone ordering 3.73's the moment I pulled off the lot. You like the 3.08's. Good for you. More power to ya. But don't sit here and belittle others and get all burt hurt because they don't agree with you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'm not talking about cruising in V-4 mode on the highway. I'm talking about how the truck feels when you step on the gas when the light turns green our when you step it down to pass someone. There's definitely a difference and the 3.08's felt sluggish to me. I would never buy a truck with them in it. It would be a deal breaker unless the deal was just so unbelievable I couldn't turn it down. If that happened I'd be on the phone ordering 3.73's the moment I pulled off the lot. You like the 3.08's. Good for you. More power to ya. But don't sit here and belittle others and get all burt hurt because they don't agree with you. Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Funny, that's exactly what you're doing. Go look at your last few posts in this thread, I was only pointing out that they are perfectly fine in this truck with the new motor and transmission, in fact they are 100% equal to the old trans with 4.10's. Not everybody's racing from stoplight to stoplight, and if somebody is considering purchasing a truck I wanted them to have real information, not "they suck", "they're gutless", "pos".

These are your posts:

"That said 3.08's are gutless gears which would probably make my 80 year old grandmother bitch about it having no balls... "

"I'm cool with 3.42's but 3.08's only deserve to be in your grandparents Buick..."

I'm not trying to "belittle" or "butthurt" anyone, but the engineer in me hates baseless statements without facts.

Except the Tundra gets garbage MPG with those 4.30s yet the 6.2 would blow the doors off the Tundra at any towing or other truck task.

According to some nobody on a Gm truck site... yeah... like the 6.2 is such a screamer... 15 second turd like any other. How many Tundras have you lined up against 6.2s exactly. .. oh that's right... none. Cool story bud.

According to some nobody on a Gm truck site... yeah... like the 6.2 is such a screamer... 15 second turd like any other. How many Tundras have you lined up against 6.2s exactly. .. oh that's right... none. Cool story bud.

I don't know about that, the last generation 6.2's run pretty good. The new ones will be better.

CRSilverado posted this:

My bone stock 2013 6.2 extended cab ran a 14.385. That 15.3 must have been a 4.8 or 5.3 engine.

Trucktimeslip_zps585b7f89.png

You're an engineer? All joking aside that explains everything. Seriously it does.

Basically your posts insinuate that anyone that doesn't agree with you that the 3.08's are awesome gears for this truck is an idiot. I've driven both of them. There's a definite difference especially from red light to red light and acceleration when passing or merging onto the highway. I haven't towed or hauled anything in one since mine (with 3.42's) is still being built but I can only imagine that difference is especially notable when the truck is loaded up. If you're basically using it as a glorified station wagon I'm sure 3.08's are just OK but if you're going to use your truck as it was intended and actually haul things then the 3.08's are trash. Wouldn't buy them if it was the last one on the lot. If you like them it's your truck and that's all that matters. More power to ya bro. Just don't expect most people to agree with you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

You're an engineer? All joking aside that explains everything. Seriously it does. Basically your posts insinuate that anyone that doesn't agree with you that the 3.08's are awesome gears for this truck is an idiot. I've driven both of them. There's a definite difference especially from red light to red light and acceleration when passing or merging onto the highway. I haven't towed or hauled anything in one since mine (with 3.42's) is still being built but I can only imagine that difference is especially notable when the truck is loaded up. If you're basically using it as a glorified station wagon I'm sure 3.08's are just OK but if you're going to use your truck as it was intended and actually haul things then the 3.08's are trash. Wouldn't buy them if it was the last one on the lot. If you like them it's your truck and that's all that matters. More power to ya bro. Just don't expect most people to agree with you. Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I never said they were awesome, and never wanted anything to turn into a pissing contest. If you look at my original reply I said I was surprised when I drove one, and wound up buying one. I also said if given the option get the 3.42's. I have a job (electric utility) where I have to get to work no matter what the weather is, thus my need for 4wd. I'm also a homeowner, so I like having the bed of a pickup if needed, and the nice big backseat. Seeing everyone's response of "they blow" or "gutless pos" I figured I'd give some facts. I also noticed most people making those replies had 04 and 05 model year trucks in their sigs, which with 3.08's and the 4-speeds were pathetic. If anybody else is in the same position I'm in with their needs for a truck, I thought they'd like to know that they don't "blow" and they don't "suck."

BTW BringTheRain, my intent here was not to argue that 3.08's are better than the 3.42's, I do not think they are and never said they were. Notamember who said he has no intention of looking at a 14 or newer was stating 3.73's or 4.10's are the only gears that should be available in a truck. When I did the math and showed him that gears 1-4 of a 2014 with a six speed has the same ratios as his 04/05 truck with 4.10's and a 4-speed, his only response was Toyota does it right, lol.

I generally keep vehicles about 3 years, so for the 2017 model year I'm already planning on a 6.2.

You are really high and mighty aren't you. See I actually owned a 6 speed equipped truck with 373s for over two years and 60000 miles.... it still would have benefitted from 410 and really was nothing but a gutless wonder. Your math isn't wrong but what is and what I still convey or try...is take highway speed.... At 65 mph which is pretty normal your 6 speed won't backshift into anything below third.... now do your math again. You have either a 1.53 or 1.15 to 1 gear.... just like the 1.5 and 1:1 in a 60e.... hmmm... who has more mechanical advantage... really... its not you. Make the 60e 4.10 so your first gear ratios match and the spread is even further. Once you are past that granny low first gear you aren't at any advantage... The spread in the 6 speed from first to second is too large imo.... just like the 60e.. hence why I like the 80e better... I know you will twist this all around.... or have it go over your head thus justifying your choice of axle ratio to yourself.... and that's fine. Quit pretending though you are the first and only 6 speed trans driver out there... Why don't I own one.... hmmm.. I hate them.. and the trucks they come in. Running a fleet of them did that too me...

Ok, let me put this into perspective for you. For some people, their truck is their car, that has 4wd for the winter, and can haul a few things in the bed if needed. The 4.3 would have been plenty for me and most half ton truck buyers (I was actually considering it). Not everybody uses their truck for work, and loads it up to the max of it's capabilities. Sometimes I just have to load up the ATV, or get a load of mulch for around the house. Why do you think they've nearly turned into luxury vehicles, with heated and cooled seats and big fancy touch screens? What do you think of V6 half tons like the 3.6 Ram or the 4.3 Silverado? Are they complete garbage too, or do you think they serve a purpose? Sounds like you need a 3/4 ton if you're working your little 5.3's so hard.

Archived