Choice of rear axle ratio would you pick?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some are looking at the standard features on the left hand side of the window sticker. The right hand side has the 'installed options' and so it is possible to have a window sticker showing 2 ratios (one as standard, and another as installed)

Don't understand why they can't program the installed options to override the standard features when printing a window sticker.

The glove box decal will list the installed RPO codes.

I am considering ordering a new 1500 Sierra 5.3 liter with crew cab and a short bed. I have seen a thread on this forum wherein some different opinions have been given on which axle ratio to choose. I welcome any more thoughts on this topic and wonder if any of the 3:08 owners have had good experiences with their choice? I do not tow anything close to the trailering limits for the 3:08 rear end and fuel economy seems a consideration.

I noted that some owners speculated that the transmission might shift up and down more often, but only a couple of responders had any real time driving experiences. Thanks for any replies.

3.73 or 4.10

I have 3.42, but would have chose 3.73 if I could with the 5.3. My 2009 I just traded had 5.3/3.73 and was good for towing my boat. Hopefully I get the same performance with the new 5.3/3.42.

• 2 months later...

Yeah. 3.08's have little to be desired in the towing world but they aren't as bad as what they are made out to be on this forum. It all really depends on what your pulling and how far/often. I hauled a 2700 lb car on a 2500 lb trailer from Albany, Ny back to Tulsa, Oklahoma recently and had no issues. Granted... My last LBZ would have towed my new truck and car/trailer easier but I have no complaints about how it towed and rnd the speed limit the whole way. I have 3.08's

I tow a wakeboard boat very little and a 4 place snowmobile trailer, open type. The last sled trip I paid $4.57 one stop for deezl and the cheapest was $4.35 averaging 13 mpg's. Truck was almost 9 yrs old, garage kept and I followed the book on maintenance but it was letting me down. It was such a hard decision to spend new truck $$ and trying to find a crew with 6' bed and limited options I completely overlooked the gears. It's got built in trailer brakes but won't haul anything heavy enough to need them? I feel like a dope!

I do work construction out of it and needed a family cruiser too so it's a multi purpose vehicle. This was a very expensive oversight, I'll get the boat out of storage and let you know, hear gunshot it's me!

This was a very expensive oversight, I'll get the boat out of storage and let you know, hear gunshot it's me!

LOL.. well hopefully it doesn't come to that, there is always the option of having the dealer install gears but make sure they fix your speedo calibration also.

Not OEM. 3.42 is 9.5", 3.73 is 9.76". Aftermarket probably will. You should note that a 3.73 in a 9.5" is physically weaker than a 3.42 in. 9.5". Shouldn't be an issue unless you are seriously going to tow 12k and rather harshly.

Yeah, technically weaker but they're unlikely the limiting factor. The 3.42's are weaker than the 3.08's in the 9.5" but they get a much larger tow rating. IIRC on some of the older trucks, some 3/4 tons came with a version of the 9.5" and up to 4.10 gear.

I tow a wakeboard boat very little and a 4 place snowmobile trailer, open type. The last sled trip I paid $4.57 one stop for deezl and the cheapest was $4.35 averaging 13 mpg's. Truck was almost 9 yrs old, garage kept and I followed the book on maintenance but it was letting me down. It was such a hard decision to spend new truck $$ and trying to find a crew with 6' bed and limited options I completely overlooked the gears. It's got built in trailer brakes but won't haul anything heavy enough to need them? I feel like a dope!

I do work construction out of it and needed a family cruiser too so it's a multi purpose vehicle. This was a very expensive oversight, I'll get the boat out of storage and let you know, hear gunshot it's me!

What was going wrong wht the duramax? The 3.08's are not as bad everyone on the forum makes them to be.. But it's not going to be anything like your duramax. I'm not sure if I'd want to pull a boat with a 3.08 equipped 1500

Archived