So I dropped my truck off last night at the dealership. The service manager calls me and leaves a voicemail at 7:30 tonight and says the GM Engineer had been working on it all day and it is fixed. Im not very optimistic but I'll report back tomorrow.

This should be interesting.

Please this sounds like the most pratical fix to date, and we do have 1 confirmed fix with the c clamps to driveshaft as of yet.

We should be demanding our dealership to have our driveshafts balanced independently first, before any other action!!!!!!

This will prove that the driveshaft is indeed out of spec right from the factory, and any replacing of the driveshafts through warranty must be confirmed by factory tested and confirmed parts.

Machine welded driveshafts, means thousands of out of spec driveshafts, and absolutely no qualified quality control being done at the manufacturing level.

This my friend is what upsets me the most! A good truck, with cheap parts, and untrained associates, and a failed quality control system will destroy GM's legacy wait and see.

I hope some big wig at GM is reading this and wakes up with swift changes!

I got a quote from a local driveline shop for $60 to balance the shaft if I bring it to them, or $100 if they have to pull it themselves. So its a cheap fix if this winds up solving it, instead of letting GM throw new driveshafts at the truck when the new ones in fact could be out of balance as well.

The hose clamp method is BS and especially for GM to recommend that. It is just going to mitigate the problem, not solve it. They just put the truck on a lift, run it up to the speed of the vibration and see if its better and then tap the hose clamp around and keep trying until the vibration seems better. It needs to be put on a balancer and given the exact amount of weight required to balance it out, rather than whatever the weight is of one or two hose clamps. One could not be enough, and 2 might be too much, have to have a balancer do the job and get the perfect amount.

I believe 20Bowtie14 said he was going to go to a driveline shop. Hopefully this is the fix and we can all move on. I would volunteer my truck but I've already been through this once as my last truck was in the shop for 54 days in a total of 5 mos, and I don't want my new truck to be a frankenstein truck like the last one until I know what exactly needs to be fixed instead of throwing parts at it.

Edited by hotrodz37

Got my popcorn out. waiting to hear Boughtalemon's outcome.

I am betting he gets the same results as mine. Two clamps and a phone call from GM telling him they are closing the case because his truck is now in spec.

Of course there is the off chance his problem is something else. Something that may take baling wire and duct tape to fix.

Side Note: I called the professional balance shops in town. It is less than $100 to balance the shaft. I may take mine over and just have them check the shaft with the so called fix GM put on.

Edited by HDNitehawk

3.08 on mine and smooooth.

3.08 on mine and not so smooooooth!

Multi-part post here:

Number one, thinking about contacting GM and suggesting they tweak the Chevy slogan to 'The irregular heartbeat of America.'

Secondly: been following this every day, but haven't posted up to now because I thought my vibe was on the minimal end of the spectrum. (And I'm not letting them tinker with it. I'll wait until they release the fix.) I only have about 1,800 miles on it--but now I think it's getting worse and more (if that's possible?) random. Used to be very subtle at 61-70 mph. Today I thought I could really feel it in the steering wheel for awhile; then it disappeared again (so I'll have to pay closer attention in the near future, I guess.)

Third, no offense (and I know it's difficult once you get mesmerized), but if you have not purchased a truck--I don't know how you could read all these posts and still consider it. If nothing else, be patient and wait for the '15s! My original plan was to run my old truck into the ground and then maybe getting something like a '65 El Camino and pimping it out. Wish I would have! Would've been so money ahead!

Fourth, what are others getting for mileage? I'm not impressed with mine. Computer displaying average over the last 400 miles says slightly less than 15. This is with about half local and half highway miles; taking a 200 mile road trip today--so I'll see if it goes up.

Good Luck!

3.08 on mine and smooooth.

3.08 on mine and not so smooooooth!

Multi-part post here:

Number one, thinking about contacting GM and suggesting they tweak the Chevy slogan to 'The irregular heartbeat of America.'

Secondly: been following this every day, but haven't posted up to now because I thought my vibe was on the minimal end of the spectrum. (And I'm not letting them tinker with it. I'll wait until they release the fix.) I only have about 1,800 miles on it--but now I think it's getting worse and more (if that's possible?) random. Used to be very subtle at 61-70 mph. Today I thought I could really feel it in the steering wheel for awhile; then it disappeared again (so I'll have to pay closer attention in the near future, I guess.)

Third, no offense (and I know it's difficult once you get mesmerized), but if you have not purchased a truck--I don't know how you could read all these posts and still consider it. If nothing else, be patient and wait for the '15s! My original plan was to run my old truck into the ground and then maybe getting something like a '65 El Camino and pimping it out. Wish I would have! Would've been so money ahead!

Fourth, what are others getting for mileage? I'm not impressed with mine. Computer displaying average over the last 400 miles says slightly less than 15. This is with about half local and half highway miles; taking a 200 mile road trip today--so I'll see if it goes up.

Good Luck!

It'll be next week sometime, but I've already called my drive line shop to balance the drive shaft. After the driveshaft was changed in my first 14, the vibration did get better but was the same frequency. I really hope a good balancing is all we need..

I am betting he gets the same results as mine. Two clamps and a phone call from GM telling him they are closing the case because his truck is now in spec.

No, the results may surprise you. He may end up with three or four clamps. :lol:

Edited by pm26

Im curious to see what the fix was as well. Just about every part in the driveline of mine has been replaced. It has been 30+ days in the shop so I opened a case with GM Tuesday to get my ducks in a row to fight for a buy back. The same day the GM field engineer told them to lock open the flapper in the exhaust due to it causing vibration in a few other cases.

GM contacted the dealership Wednesday about my complaint and the sales manager called me. I told him we were getting into lemon law territory and I was tired of the tinkering on my truck and didnt even want it back at this point. Coincidentally later that day the service manager calls me and says locking the flapper open fixed the issue and they are ordering me a new exhaust system now with a redesigned flapper. Should be in today or tomorrow.

I am very skeptical if this fixed it or now they feel a sense of urgency to get my truck out of there before they are forced to buy it back.

Edited by Aboothlsu

Im curious to see what the fix was as well. Just about every part in the driveline of mine has been replaced. It has been 30+ days in the shop so I opened a case with GM Tuesday to get my ducks in a row to fight for a buy back. The same day the GM field engineer told them to lock open the flapper in the exhaust due to it causing vibration in a few other cases.

GM contacted the dealership Wednesday about my complaint and the sales manager called me. I told him we were getting into lemon law territory and I was tired of the tinkering on my truck and didnt even want it back at this point. Coincidentally later that day the service manager calls me and says locking the flapper open fixed the issue and they are ordering me a new exhaust system now with a redesigned flapper. Should be in today or tomorrow.

I am very skeptical if this fixed it or now they feel a sense of urgency to get my truck out of there before they are forced to buy it back.

Personally I think its definitely a driveline issue and its too much vibration 70+ to be a little flapper... Good luck though! If this solves your problem I'll be one of the first around here with an after market exhaust on my truck lol.