That is the vibe issue with my new `14 RCSB Z71 5.3L 2WD. It's a vibe from 30 down and a shudder at 20 - 23. It is NOT the tires/wheels/brakes. It is not the AFM. It IS in the driveline (it disappears only when in Neutral)...but where?

I have come to my own conclusion that it is bad driveshafts, or bad torque converters and this only effects mainly the crew cab model.

I feel over time a vibration in the driveline will destroy the transmission over time anyway. The first culprit to suspect inside the transmission is the torque converter, then the shift solenoids.

GM and dealers are tight lip about this issue, "your truck is preforming as designed" the answer I got from service.

Or we never heard of anyone else with this problem....!

Follow your legal avenue to protect your rights to have your vehical fixed right, or be paid out for one that can't be!

For what it's worth, I bought the Range device that keeps the engine locked into V8 mode. I've had it for about 3 weeks and so far I have had no vibration. Now this could just be coincidence as the vibration seems to be random at best on "this" truck. But so far so good. Does anyone know if the torque converter act any differently or could it, if the vehicle is in V8 vs V4 mode? One last thing I'll add: I love this device! No hiccup or hesitation when pushing slightly on the pedal. That AFM is crap! So far milage has went down a tenth MPG. (I didn't buy the truck for fuel milage anyway....)

Why would you buy one of these after the potential problems you may have??

Mine went back in the shop today for the 3rd time. A GM Engineer is supposed to work on the truck. When he doesn't fix it, I am filing a lemon law claim. In Massachusetts, the dealer has 3 chances to fix it. When I file the claim, GM has 7 days after that to fix it. At this point, I hope they don't fix it. This truck has been a nightmare and I just want it gone.

despite the vibrations some 2014 owners randomly get most still love it and the ones that don't have it defiantly love it. worst case if I happen to get the rare shake ill take it in if they don't fix it then I can either trade it in or file lemon law as you are doing.

For what it's worth, I bought the Range device that keeps the engine locked into V8 mode. I've had it for about 3 weeks and so far I have had no vibration. Now this could just be coincidence as the vibration seems to be random at best on "this" truck. But so far so good. Does anyone know if the torque converter act any differently or could it, if the vehicle is in V8 vs V4 mode? One last thing I'll add: I love this device! No hiccup or hesitation when pushing slightly on the pedal. That AFM is crap! So far milage has went down a tenth MPG. (I didn't buy the truck for fuel milage anyway....)

Did this take care of your high speed vibration (70+) the 45-50mph, or 20-30mph one? I am guessing the lower speeds when the converter is locking up.

Edited by hotrodz37

another thing that may be the cause of the issue is the stability control system. it my be misreading or reacting in such way that it causes the vibration.

some say they have had luck with swapping the tires but I don't see that to be the consensus

Heres a new one for everybody. I've read through this entire thread and have never seen this mentioned. The dealer locked open the "flapper" in the exhaust and drove it said the vibration was completely gone. Unlocked it and drove it home and vinration was back and even worse. They said that it was definitely the problem and they ordered me a new exhaust assembly.

I have no idea what this flapper is for and the first I heard of it was yesterday when they were going to test it. The service manager isnt even 100% sure what it is for and thinks it has to do with the AFM.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/153020-exhaust-adaptive-valve/

Im not sure if this thing is required or not, Im wondering if I should just tell them scrap that order and go aftermarket exhaust with no flapper.

Just got a call from my dealership.

They have swapped wheels/tires from a couple of different trucks.

They swapped the driveshaft.

Now they have ordered a new ring & pinion for the rear end but it won't arrive for a few days.

They tried to get me to agree to have them put the truck back together and have me take it today but I refused.

I am leaving for a 2000+ mile road trip from here in Georgia to northern Michigan and back later today and I'm not going to do that in a truck with a rear end that is suspect.

I am going to head up to the dealership now and turn in my loaner so they can get me into an Enterprise rental for two weeks.

The service manager even said he was not certain the ring and pinion would fix it so I figure they are going to need more time with the truck anyway.

The saga continues.................

Heres a new one for everybody. I've read through this entire thread and have never seen this mentioned. The dealer locked open the "flapper" in the exhaust and drove it said the vibration was completely gone. Unlocked it and drove it home and vinration was back and even worse. They said that it was definitely the problem and they ordered me a new exhaust assembly.

I have no idea what this flapper is for and the first I heard of it was yesterday when they were going to test it. The service manager isnt even 100% sure what it is for and thinks it has to do with the AFM.

Im not sure if this thing is required or not, Im wondering if I should just tell them scrap that order and go aftermarket exhaust with no flapper.

Aboothlsu, which vibration are you feeling? High speed or mid range?

Sorry things keep double posting for me this morning!

Edited by hotrodz37

My vibration was always at 70+. But so far so good... Again, we are all chasing this thing but just wanted to give feedback. :-/ I need to investigate this flapper thing! I have a 2012 Vette and it's has dual mode exhaust. It has "flappers" but at the tail end and they open when you get on it otherwise it's quiet. I took the fuse out and the flappers are open all the time. (Sounds meaner....) :-) This is my first GMC truck and I think I should have bought the heated tailgate option.....

High speed mostly, but a slight vibration always seemed to be there. I also could hear a slight whine like gears were out of tolerance or something at 70+, but it couldve been this flapper rattling around.

Digging thorugh the thread on this thing, people are locking it open or removing it all together because they can hear it rattling or to make their exhaust sound better.

The only purpose Ive seen for it is for acoustics in V4 mode at highway speeds. I'm having the service manager find out what its for and if they can remove it.

Edited by Aboothlsu

My vibration was always at 70+. But so far so good... Again, we are all chasing this thing but just wanted to give feedback. :-/ I need to investigate this flapper thing! I have a 2012 Vette and it's has dual mode exhaust. It has "flappers" but at the tail end and they open when you get on it otherwise it's quiet. I took the fuse out and the flappers are open all the time. (Sounds meaner....) :-) This is my first GMC truck and I think I should have bought the heated tailgate option.....

High speed mostly, but a slight vibration always seemed to be there. I also could hear a slight whine like gears were out of tolerance or something at 70+, but it couldve been this flapper rattling around.

Digging thorugh the thread on this thing, people are locking it open or removing it all together because they can hear it rattling or to make their exhaust sound better.

The only purpose Ive seen for it is for acoustics in V4 mode at highway speeds. I'm having the service manager find out what its for and if they can remove it.

Good deal, thanks for the info guys, I greatly appreciate it. I might lock mine open this weekend and see if anything changes. I know gdadlow had some exhaust vibration dampeners (there is a tsb on it, not sure the number but I can dig it up) put on his and the combo with tires completely solved his vibration.

It would be crazy if all of us have been chasing down an exhuast vibration the entire time.

Does anybody who has this vibration have an aftermarket exhaust and still have the issue?

Good deal, thanks for the info guys, I greatly appreciate it. I might lock mine open this weekend and see if anything changes. I know gdadlow had some exhaust vibration dampeners (there is a tsb on it, not sure the number but I can dig it up) put on his and the combo with tires completely solved his vibration.

It would be crazy if all of us have been chasing down an exhuast vibration the entire time.

Does anybody who has this vibration have an aftermarket exhaust and still have the issue?

If anyone still has there truck available apparently it can be locked open with hose clamps pretty easily. It would be nice to see someone try it and see if it improves things.

I don't understand how clamping the flapper valve locks it open. Some guys are saying the flapper inside the pipe spins freely, so what is that square protrusion outside of the pipe doing? I guess I don't understand how this valve functions mechanically speaking.