I'm taking mine to a drive line shop sometime soon and having them spin and balance the rear first and if that doesn't do it, the front is next. I'll keep all posted on the outcome.

And let us know what kind of clamps they use to balance. Make sure they are GM approved.

• Like 2

My truck that is in the shop right now is a 4WD, Z71, double cab, 6.5' bed, 3.42 rear end and has the 40-50mph vibration but not so much the highway speed (70+mph) vibration.

The loaner truck I am driving right now is a 2WD, crew cab, 6.5' bed, unknown rear end and is silky smooth except it has a similar, but smaller magnitude vibration in the 20-30mph range.

I do suspect there are certain combinations that are prone to certain vibration issues though.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I used to work for GM and still have contacts there.

I was able to indirectly contact a driveline engineer at the Milford Proving Grounds that has been working on these trucks.

When I supplied my VIN, the response was "the axle ratio and tire size are not the ones that have had vibration issues."

This didn't help me much, but it seems to show that GM knows (or at least suspects) there is a certain combination prone to certain vibrations.

Interesting. You and I have almost the same trucks....I have a crew cab short bed and you have a double cab standard bed but overall truck length should be the same and our axle ratios are the same. My vibration problem seemed to be related to over-inflated tires but I'm still keeping an eye on it to see if it comes back.

Yeh I forgot to mention another fact

My truck that is in the shop right now is a 4WD, Z71, double cab, 6.5' bed, 3.42 rear end and has the 40-50mph vibration but not so much the highway speed (70+mph) vibration.

The loaner truck I am driving right now is a 2WD, crew cab, 6.5' bed, unknown rear end and is silky smooth except it has a similar, but smaller magnitude vibration in the 20-30mph range.

I do suspect there are certain combinations that are prone to certain vibration issues though.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I used to work for GM and still have contacts there.

I was able to indirectly contact a driveline engineer at the Milford Proving Grounds that has been working on these trucks.

When I supplied my VIN, the response was "the axle ratio and tire size are not the ones that have had vibration issues."

This didn't help me much, but it seems to show that GM knows (or at least suspects) there is a certain combination prone to certain vibrations.

This reminded me I forgot to mention my loaner truck. The one in the shop is a 2014 GMC Z71 4x4 SLT. The loaner is a 2014 V6 SLE.

The loaner has convinced me to not ask for a replacement. It shakes just as bad if not worse than mine at all speeds. Also theres some other random gremlins, the radio display froze with only a corner of the screen lit up for a day, the knobs did nothing, but the steering wheel controls controlled the radio and the radio still worked. Then the next day when i got in everything was fine.

Also the AC randomly changes speeds without me touching it. I can be driving all day then all of a sudden it kicks up or down a notch.

Yeh I forgot to mention another fact

This reminded me I forgot to mention my loaner truck. The one in the shop is a 2014 GMC Z71 4x4 SLT. The loaner is a 2014 V6 SLE.

The loaner has convinced me to not ask for a replacement. It shakes just as bad if not worse than mine at all speeds. Also theres some other random gremlins, the radio display froze with only a corner of the screen lit up for a day, the knobs did nothing, but the steering wheel controls controlled the radio and the radio still worked. Then the next day when i got in everything was fine.

Also the AC randomly changes speeds without me touching it. I can be driving all day then all of a sudden it kicks up or down a notch.

Probably need to take that thing to see a priest.............

I am about to purchase this truck and this rattle/ vibration is making me nervous... ill be sure to test drive as much as possible but it starts for some months after purchase not cool! other than that this truck is flipping amazing

Mine was felt in the steering wheel. If it isn't smooth go to the next vehicle and drive it.

Another thing to watch for, look at the back door on the crew cabs. At the lower corner where it closes toward the back you will notice some trucks the lines do not flush up. From the back some look like the door is a bit ajar. Going over the dealers lot about 30% of the trucks had this problem to some extent. The warranty fix for this is major.

Well I guess I will add to this..

I bought my truck back in January, it had 8km on it when bought. The truck came with a set of 18" rims and 22" rims. Since it was winter the 18" rims were kept on. It wasn't till about a month ago, that the vibrations started happening. I thought it might have been over/under inflated tires but with a check of the handy dandy gauge they were fine (both on screen and two handheld ones).

Then came the 22" rims, when they were first put on they were fine for about 2 days. After that the vibration has come back and is getting progressively worst. The vibration occurs in my seat, steering wheel and gas pedal. I'm not exactly sure if it occurs in other areas of the truck as I haven't had passengers to test it.

Just a example of how bad it is, I will put my arm on the middle console and if my life depended on it, I wouldn't be able to hold it still.

Took it to the dealership, their service rep and manager took it out for a test drive and "It's perfectly normal for these trucks to vibrate like that".. Well I'm sorry, when I first bought this truck (and test drove them) they were perfectly vibration free. Not only that but they didn't start happening till about 5000km (currently at 6500km).

Anyways there's my little rant.

Oh on a side note I talked to another dealership in another city, their service manager explained to me that its not normal and they have had similar issues and have been resolved. Not exactly sure what they did, but this gives me a little hope. Taking the truck in on Monday and will let you know how it goes..

Little about my truck:

6500km

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE model (don't quote me on that but I am pretty sure it is)

22" rims on it right now (was happening with the 18")

Standard Bed

Crew Cab

4x4

Complete Tow Package

Mine was felt in the steering wheel. If it isn't smooth go to the next vehicle and drive it.

Another thing to watch for, look at the back door on the crew cabs. At the lower corner where it closes toward the back you will notice some trucks the lines do not flush up. From the back some look like the door is a bit ajar. Going over the dealers lot about 30% of the trucks had this problem to some extent. The warranty fix for this is major.

Thanks for the heads up

Well I guess I will add to this..

I bought my truck back in January, it had 8km on it when bought. The truck came with a set of 18" rims and 22" rims. Since it was winter the 18" rims were kept on. It wasn't till about a month ago, that the vibrations started happening. I thought it might have been over/under inflated tires but with a check of the handy dandy gauge they were fine (both on screen and two handheld ones).

Then came the 22" rims, when they were first put on they were fine for about 2 days. After that the vibration has come back and is getting progressively worst. The vibration occurs in my seat, steering wheel and gas pedal. I'm not exactly sure if it occurs in other areas of the truck as I haven't had passengers to test it.

Just a example of how bad it is, I will put my arm on the middle console and if my life depended on it, I wouldn't be able to hold it still.

Took it to the dealership, their service rep and manager took it out for a test drive and "It's perfectly normal for these trucks to vibrate like that".. Well I'm sorry, when I first bought this truck (and test drove them) they were perfectly vibration free. Not only that but they didn't start happening till about 5000km (currently at 6500km).

Anyways there's my little rant.

Oh on a side note I talked to another dealership in another city, their service manager explained to me that its not normal and they have had similar issues and have been resolved. Not exactly sure what they did, but this gives me a little hope. Taking the truck in on Monday and will let you know how it goes..

Little about my truck:

6500km

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE model (don't quote me on that but I am pretty sure it is)

22" rims on it right now (was happening with the 18")

Standard Bed

Crew Cab

4x4

Complete Tow Package

Are you pursuing the issue? You described exactly what I'm seeing. It's getting progressively worse, and I now feel it strongly in the gas pedal, floor, seat, and center console. I never felt it in the gas pedal until today and it was so bad it made my pant leg shake. Something is evry wrong with these trucks. Mine is going in on Friday am...if they try to feed me that line of bull (that it's normal) I'll be reporting that to GM. I'm going to remain optomistic that they'll do the right thing for their customer so lets see what happens. We shouldn't have to be going through this with new trucks.

What is a Safety-Related Defect?

A safety-related defect is a problem that affects the safe operation or functioning of a vehicle, tire or child car seat. In order for a defect to be considered safety-related, it must have originated at the design, manufacturing or assembly stage, or it must interfere with the functioning of the vehicle, tire or child car seat. The defect must also be present in a group of similar vehicles, tires or child car seats, and it must directly endanger the safety of a person, which includes drivers, passengers, the occupants of other vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists and other road users. Finally, the problem caused by the defect must occur with little or no warning and not be due to everyday wear and tear, a lack of proper maintenance, or negligence on the part of the owner.

I am calling on all truck owners who have this highway vibration and shaking issue, to file a safety concern with the NHTSA dept, This will force the agency to review this vehicle with GM for total disclosure of what is going on with this truck.

We need to organize and work together for the common good, we need to be heard and get these trucks fixed right our families ride in these vehicles also.

Something is not right with the driveline, transmission, or maybe the engine and we need answers now GM..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am about to purchase this truck and this rattle/ vibration is making me nervous... ill be sure to test drive as much as possible but it starts for some months after purchase not cool! other than that this truck is flipping amazing

Why would you buy one of these after the potential problems you may have??

Mine went back in the shop today for the 3rd time. A GM Engineer is supposed to work on the truck. When he doesn't fix it, I am filing a lemon law claim. In Massachusetts, the dealer has 3 chances to fix it. When I file the claim, GM has 7 days after that to fix it. At this point, I hope they don't fix it. This truck has been a nightmare and I just want it gone.

Edited by Boughtalemon

If all the Gm truck owners were to driveby a dealership with signs on our car doors that read, " do not buy this truck it vibrates very bad and no fix no help" and we called the media to come out to watch, we could make them listen very quickly I would bet.

Edited by 2strokesmoke

That is the vibe issue with my new `14 RCSB Z71 5.3L 2WD. It's a vibe from 30 down and a shudder at 20 - 23. It is NOT the tires/wheels/brakes. It is not the AFM. It IS in the driveline (it disappears only when in Neutral)...but where?