Silverado hareek, I had an alignment done a few days after i picked up the truck and its dead-nuts on, steering wheel is straight as an arrow, no wandering at all. I have the vibration in the rear (seats) though, and what was done was a front end alignment, I don't believe they touched the rear as they said is was pretty on point from the factory. Would be curious to hear what others have experienced though.

I was thinking aftermarket shocks might be something to try since the new suspension is quite stiff.

When you say vibration in the rear seats, is it a visual vibration of the seats or do you hear them shaking? In other words what are you witnessing from the driver seat perspective?

Misalignment of wheels will rarely cause vibration issues. It would have to be a really etreme case to cause vibration problems. Typically improper toe setting cuases feathering of tire thread on the edges. Improper cmaber and caster settings will cuase pulling to one side and uneven tire wear. If you do not corect misalignment and get uneven tire wear, you may experience some humming noise from the tires, but again, vibration would not be typical even in this case if the tires are of decent quality and properly balanced.

Ok thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.

When you say vibration in the rear seats, is it a visual vibration of the seats or do you hear them shaking? In other words what are you witnessing from the driver seat perspective?

Truck is the smoothest truck I have ever had until about 71mph. From 71-78ish I can see the passenger seat and center console shaking. Sometimes its worse than others (probably tire pressure in regards to that). Steering wheel doesn't have the slightest vibration.

I think there are 3 different issues I have come across on this thread, and I have been reading since day one.

1) Rear vibration from 70-80mph (ballpark)

2) Rear vibration from 45-50mph

3) Steering wheel vibration at higher speeds.

I think there are a few different groups of us who each have a vibration but all in each of the three categories.

Maybe we can group these into different categories or separate threads so each person with the same issue can work on that particular issue together. Just a thought.

Would love to hear from the people with the high speed rear vibration!

Truck is the smoothest truck I have ever had until about 71mph. From 71-78ish I can see the passenger seat and center console shaking. Sometimes its worse than others (probably tire pressure in regards to that). Steering wheel doesn't have the slightest vibration.

I think there are 3 different issues I have come across on this thread, and I have been reading since day one.

I think there are a few different groups of us who each have a vibration but all in each of the three categories.

Maybe we can group these into different categories or separate threads so each person with the same issue can work on that particular issue together. Just a thought.

Thanks for the clarification. Yeah that's a good idea. I get a relatively consistent vibration in the steering wheel at all speeds. The center console and passenger seat shake a little but so did my 2007 silverado and I didn't feel anything in the steering wheel on that truck. This is the first Z71 I've had though so I'm not sure what's related to the stiffer suspension and what's not. Honestly the vibration in the steering wheel didn't even bother me until I read this thread and then started paying close attention to it every time I drive. So I can't really tell if I even have a problem or not. I don't feel any vibration personally as I ride in the driver seat. The ride is smooth overall. Just a slight jitter in the steering wheel. But yes if I put my hand on the passenger seat or center console, I can feel a slight vibration there but again compared to my old truck, it doesn't seem any different.

If not already tried I'd significantly change tire pressures and if that didn't reveal it, change the shocks. I wonder what the body bushings look like and if they are easy to substitute. Unlikely easy but possible maybe. Might be good to give em the good once over anyway to make sure they were installed correctly

I agree on the beaming possibility theory! My vibration gets worse on cement highway and even flat asphalt.

On rough roads it would be hard to notice at all. We need to run with this for awhile, front or back issue next?

Could the front a arm and front spring be transfering the road energy into the frame. With the frame being boxed shape it would indeed start to vibrate at it's own said speed some at 45-55mph some at 65-80mph. This would greatly depend on weld placements, thickness of steel, tensile or strength of the steel. Now bad tires would amplify the road energy, as well as having smaller tires...less material to absorb the road energy as well. More air harder ride...! Has anyone tried droping air down to 28psi for comparision?

Can we get anyone out there that has a leveling kit on the front with this vibration issue chime in too.

I want to get to metal plates and clamp them onto each side of the frame with bessy clamps to see if pure mass can change this vibrations properties.

Ok, I was looking at the leafspring and they have thin rubber between each leaf section, I remember on earlier models they use to put a hard composite, and thicker spacer between each leaf.

I wonder if there could be a lot of road energy being transfered to the boxed frame here as well, this would amplify here as well.

Edited by 2strokesmoke

I agree on the beaming possibility theory! My vibration gets worse on cement highway and even flat asphalt.

On rough roads it would be hard to notice at all. We need to run with this for awhile, front or back issue next?

Could the front a arm and front spring be transfering the road energy into the frame. With the frame being boxed shape it would indeed start to vibrate at it, s own said speed some at 45-55mph some at 65-80mph. This would greatly depend on welp placements, thickness of steel, tensile or strength of the steel. Now bad tires would amplify the road energy, as well as having smaller tires...less material to absorb the road energy as well. More air harder ride...! Has anyone tried droping air down to 28psi for comparision?

Can we get anyone out there that has a leveling kit on the front with this vibration issue chime in too.

I want to get to metal plates and clamp them onto each side of the frame with bessy clamps to see if pure mass can change this vibrations properties.

Ok, I was looking at the leafspring and they have thin rubber between each leaf section, I remember on earlier models they use to put a hard composite, and thicker spacer between each leaf.

I wonder if there could be a lot of road energy being transfered to the boxed frame here as well, this would amplify here as well.

You could also try loading up the bed with a few hundred pounds to see what effect that has. If it's beaming this should help with that.

I have medium to heavy acceleration vibration that occurs @ 20 mph which goes away once the trans shifts into third gear and what feels like out of balance tires/wheels @ 70 mph. It's been in 5 times up to this point without a resolution but the dealer who has very good up to this point will be replacing a major component.

I have medium to heavy acceleration vibration that occurs @ 20 mph which goes away once the trans shifts into third gear and what feels like out of balance tires/wheels @ 70 mph. It's been in 5 times up to this point without a resolution but the dealer who has very good up to this point will be replacing a major component.

May I ask what major component r they recommend ing to be changed out.

Ho

t

Would love to hear from the people with the high speed rear vibration

Yours is the exact vibration I have been battling from day one 71-82 felt thru both passenger and driver seats. Not subtle. Is there under acceleration thru those speeds, holding steady while cruising in that range (which is exactly where I cruise on 95 when traffic permits), and also feel it if I go above that zone lift off throttle and coast back into and thru it from above...have road force balanced 3x, after junking the stock Wrangler RSA's, had dealer lift and re-torque engine mounts ( as per GM tech), locked open flapper valve in the exhaust, then replaced entire exhaust with larger diameter from GM with flapper valve opened permanently, took off the flimsy, loose, plastic "skid plates" all in hope of eliminating what seems like some sort of harmonic vibration. None of these things have made a difference. I noticed with a little bit of weight in the bed it is slightly worse vibration. Was hoping to replace rear end next but sounds like a couple of people on this post have done that and it has not helped. Dealer says they want to try shims somewhere in rear end next. 3700 miles, 2014 sierra crew cab SLT, with 6.2 and 3:42's...love everything else about the truck and have put a bunch of nice extras on it, which of course I now deeply regret. Please keep all information you have coming I this post, and hopefully if GM engineering wants to stop what is a horrible experience for their brand, we can sort the vibration problem out. Otherwise I will definitely not keep this truck post lease and never go near another GM product. We should all not be afraid to post on as many websites as possible the faulty build of this brand new truck. Maybe GM will get more involved if they feel the public pushback from disappointed owners.

Oh yeah, I have the Range Technology AFM Disabler and although it's nice to have the truck in V8 all the time, it makes no difference in the vibration. I will say they definitely tweaked the transmission shift point to get max MPG's in this truck. I literally can be on flat local rd and by highs 30MPH's it's in 5'th gear and by mid 40's in 6'th gear. Combine that with AFM and it's ridiculous to be lugging around at that speed in those gears. Anytime you hit gas it has to downshift 3-4 gears. Suspect the transmission is a contributing factor to our vibration problems.

• Like 1

The question still remains though why do some people have vibration and some don't? Everyone has the same transmission. The vibration is spanning body style, engine style, and axle ratios. I don't know this is such a weird problem. Not to say it couldn't be the transmission but if it is, why? Bad batch of parts? Poor assembly?

Edited by Silverado-Hareek

May I ask what major component r they recommend ing to be changed out.

When I get it back vibration free I'll report. A number of things have been done so far without success, I don't want to leave anyone hopefull. :driving:

Not positive, but if the steering wheel is aligned and you can take your hands off of it, and the truck tracks straight and true, I would think everything is fine.

I can drive in a straight line with hands off for a fairly good distance.

Well, your toe setting could be excessive, although equal on both front wheels and you will get straight tracking but excessive tire feathering on the edges.

• Like 1