Came across this explanation doing some google research: http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/29lyw-silverado-that-issuing-vibration-cab-mount-supresses.html

If this explanation is correct then it makes sense why Chevy won't address the issue....it's the physical design of the truck and not just this body style.

they changed the cab mount design on these trucks so the "beaming" vibration may of moved to the floor pan in the trucks - you may be onto something there but I would think they would of at least looked at changing the suspension to stop the condition if this were the issue. someone correct me if I am wrong but can't you tame beaming with full length springs in the rear? I believe that is how some corrected it on the last generation

Silverado-Hareek. That's what I found and posted 2 or so pages back. Frame beaming. There is no fix. Hence why GM can't and won't come out with a fix. On my F250, that was "normal" for a big truck like that. and it wasn't bad really, 45-50. On the hwy it was RV smooth.

Going in to the fifth month messing with the vibration issue I found out a few things.

Yes the vibration increases with the temp, your tires have greater air pressure. It is a tire thing.

Higher the pressure it telegraphs the vibration more.

Same if it is real cold, the tires are hard and once they heat up you do not notice it as much.

Tire size and ply matters as we'll, wider tires transmit more of the vibration. Harder heavier ply tires do to.

A few things I found that helps:

Run your tires at the suggested pressure on the drivers door, not at the 40 psi the dealer puts in.

You can adjust your steering wheel in and out up an down if equipped. There is a sweet spot that the vibration is not as noticeable.

Tire pressure makes a big difference in ride quality. I have mine down to 30 psi cold. They warm up to 32 when hot. Smooth as glass at 80 mph. Best ride I've ever had in a truck by far.

Silverado-Hareek. That's what I found and posted 2 or so pages back. Frame beaming. There is no fix. Hence why GM can't and won't come out with a fix. On my F250, that was "normal" for a big truck like that. and it wasn't bad really, 45-50. On the hwy it was RV smooth.

Yes you did I remember reading something about frame beaming now that you mention it. That stinks if that's the case. My former 2007 silverado didn't have that problem at all which means this is a correctable issue, although maybe not for us that already have these trucks.

Have you tried rotating the front tires to the back to see if anyhting changes? Years ago i had a tire with a shifting steel belt on a car and it was vibrating bad. When I rotated the tires, vibration markedly decreased and it was now in the back (originally felt in the steering wheel). This is how I found a bad tire. It was balanced right, but it still caused vibraiton because the steel belt was loose and the hotter the tire got the worse the vibration became.

I've tried everything.. we took tires off another silvy at the dealer and vibration was worse with the smaller 18's we put on it... Dealer is working on a trade assistance deal and if this don't work out, all hell is going to break out. I found another truck and drove it on the highway and its perfect. New truck build date is 03/14 and mine is 06/13. New truck has the whole frame sprayed with a thicker clear coat over the wax on the frame as well. Should find out today.

-Vibration 73-78 mph or so.. dealer has replaced 2 tires, took wheels off another, balanced my wheels like 4 times, 3 driveshafts, and rear end now... not fixed.. I was told to just drive it and they don't know what else to do...

Ive taken skid plates off, tonnou cover off, wheels off my dads truck and more... I've literally read this thread everyday looking for "hope".... My wife won't even ride in my truck on the highway anymore because she can't take it...

In FL 3 times for the same problem gets you qualified for the lemon law... I contacted the district attorney and asked how this program works and if the trade assistance don't go through, I'll be pursuing this.

Not to mention, everyday I get " where's your truck?" My experience alone has lost Chevy 2 truck sales for sure... My brother went out and bought a Ram instead because he didnt want to deal with the same problems ive had with mine... PS, it rides AMAZING on the highway...

For what its worth, I had tires changed to a larger load capacity tire upon delivery of the truck. I am not a fan of the stock 111 rated tires for towing a travel trailer. Upon my first highway trip I noticed the shaking also, however I went to the tire place in stead and started there. They stated that they wanted to do a more advanced balance and review and did not have the tools at the location. They took the truck and did a balance with assumed weight and speeds in excess of 70 MPH simulated and were able to correct the issue. I am not sure what they call it however its more advanced that sticking the tire on a balancer. It needs to actually have pressure against the tire to find the issue.

No issue ever again...

they changed the cab mount design on these trucks so the "beaming" vibration may of moved to the floor pan in the trucks - you may be onto something there but I would think they would of at least looked at changing the suspension to stop the condition if this were the issue. someone correct me if I am wrong but can't you tame beaming with full length springs in the rear? I believe that is how some corrected it on the last generation

Wasn't the suspension made stiffer with the 2014's? I seem to recall reading that they stiffened up the front suspension and they increased payload capacity which would imply stiffer leaf springs in the rear.

I've tried everything.. we took tires off another silvy at the dealer and vibration was worse with the smaller 18's we put on it... Dealer is working on a trade assistance deal and if this don't work out, all hell is going to break out. I found another truck and drove it on the highway and its perfect. New truck build date is 03/14 and mine is 06/13. New truck has the whole frame sprayed with a thicker clear coat over the wax on the frame as well. Should find out today.

-Vibration 73-78 mph or so.. dealer has replaced 2 tires, took wheels off another, balanced my wheels like 4 times, 3 driveshafts, and rear end now... not fixed.. I was told to just drive it and they don't know what else to do...

Ive taken skid plates off, tonnou cover off, wheels off my dads truck and more... I've literally read this thread everyday looking for "hope".... My wife won't even ride in my truck on the highway anymore because she can't take it...

In FL 3 times for the same problem gets you qualified for the lemon law... I contacted the district attorney and asked how this program works and if the trade assistance don't go through, I'll be pursuing this.

I went through repurchase in FL, got a 2014 for my 2013 that had the same vibration issues, test drove it for a week and no vibration at all. I've had the truck for about 2 mos and now the vibration has showed up in the new truck. Not sure if its tires or not, but I have had them balanced 3 times and all road force is under 12lbs. So this is my second shaking truck in less than 8 months. Hopefully your experience is better. Might be worth pursuing lemon law instead of repurchase so you can get your money back and are able to purchase a different brand.

Edited by hotrodz37

I don't recall reading in this thread if new shocks were installed. I would be curious to see what happens when someone adds aftermarket shocks all around like bilstein, and a 1/4 to 1/2 longer in length.

Tapatalk via Moto X

• Like 1

Has anyone had an alignment done? I mentioned this earlier but a side mechanic I know used to work for GM and when I told him I bought a new 2014 truck, he told me to immediately go get an alignment because GM doesn't do one. GM uses these plastic tabs that set the alignment at predetermined points for every truck, but as you might think slight variations in truck and tire builds mean not every alignment is the exact same. I was cheap and didn't take his advice.

I bring this up because a few people have mentioned the truck rode great at first and then started to develop a vibration after a few thousand miles. This tells me that the tires may be developing wear patterns due to an off alignment. These wouldn't be noticeable when checking tire balance but would be noticeable in the ride. I'm thinking after checking balance, maybe an alignment should be done and the truck driven for a couple thousand miles to ensure the tires even back out.

Thoughts?

Edited by Silverado-Hareek

Not positive, but if the steering wheel is aligned and you can take your hands off of it, and the truck tracks straight and true, I would think everything is fine.

I can drive in a straight line with hands off for a fairly good distance.

Has anyone had an alignment done? I mentioned this earlier but a side mechanic I know used to work for GM and when I told him I bought a new 2014 truck, he told me to immediately go get an alignment because GM doesn't do one. GM uses these plastic tabs that set the alignment at predetermined points for every truck, but as you might think slight variations in truck and tire builds mean not every alignment is the exact same. I was cheap and didn't take his advice.

I bring this up because a few people have mentioned the truck rode great at first and then started to develop a vibration after a few thousand miles. This tells me that the tires may be developing wear patterns due to an off alignment. These wouldn't be noticeable when checking tire balance but would be noticeable in the ride. I'm thinking after checking balance, maybe an alignment should be done and the truck driven for a couple thousand miles to ensure the tires even back out.

Thoughts

Silverado hareek, I had an alignment done a few days after i picked up the truck and its dead-nuts on, steering wheel is straight as an arrow, no wandering at all. I have the vibration in the rear (seats) though, and what was done was a front end alignment, I don't believe they touched the rear as they said is was pretty on point from the factory. Would be curious to hear what others have experienced though.

I was thinking aftermarket shocks might be something to try since the new suspension is quite stiff.

Misalignment of wheels will rarely cause vibration issues. It would have to be a really etreme case to cause vibration problems. Typically improper toe setting causes feathering of tire tread on the edges. Improper camber and caster settings will cause pulling to one side and uneven tire wear. If you do not correct misalignment and get uneven tire wear, you may experience some humming noise from the tires, but again, vibration would not be typical even in this case if the tires are of decent quality and properly balanced.

Edited by pm26