Or front end. Is anyone experiencing the 40 mph vibration in the 2wd?

I should say that the 40-50 mph vibration isn't as bad with the new rear end. I think my issues are a compound problem. For instance the tires were an issue, road force and seat vibration goes away. Change the drive shaft it gets a bit better. Change the rear end, it eliminates the high speed vibration. Now if we can find the source of the 40mph vibration it will be ok.

Frustration;

Went to the Ford dealer and drove an FX4, as much as I hate to I now see a way all the vibration goes away. I don't know how much longer I can hang on, it keeps running through my mind that the new GM just sin' the old GM and I should give up my brand loyalty.

I went to the Ford dealer and drove a 13 Eco boost hold over, drove nice but they would only give me 28,000 on my silverado on trade and the GM dealer was willing to give me 35,000 and they still wanted as much for the 13 ford as the 14 GMC SLT so I went with a GMC. Some days I wish I went with the Ford but I just payed 41,000 for my silverado 10 months ago and couldn't swallow that much of a loss.

Edited by Silver Spaceship

^The F150 is still a good truck, and a lot of the EB failures are from abuse, tuners etc. I bought a new '07 6.0 F250 and everyone told me it was junk. I had zero issues, never put a tuner on it and always kept the PCM updated with ford. Never had an issue. The new '15+ F150 looks really bad to me. Their logo looks like it's borrowed from Toyota. I have still not ruled out buying a '13/'14 left over F150 with a huge discount.

Jennifer-

What is GM's formal stance on the vibration issue with these trucks?

Edited by FL335i

What is GM's formal stance on the vibration issue with these trucks?

From reading everyone else's posts and knowing how hard it was for me to get the dealer to move I would say that they are taking it case by case. As well when talking to GM they act like no one else in the world has ever had this issue. They have never heard of such an issue and yours is the first truck that has ever come in with the issue.

From reading everyone else's posts and knowing how hard it was for me to get the dealer to move I would say that they are taking it case by case. As well when talking to GM they act like no one else in the world has ever had this issue. They have never heard of such an issue and yours is the first truck that has ever come in with the issue.

That is exactly what they have been told to say to the customer, if they admit there is an issue a tsb will be created and every one who has that problem will have to be fixed....big dollars so no problem means no need to fix.

That is why we need to report our critical issues like tires, seatbelts, driveline, rearaxles, critical fasteners that are not torqued down, seats that move, heaters and defrost that dont work properly, steering wheel vibrations that cause the hands to go numb after an hours worth of driving.

Radios and intellink features that go blank and freeze up could be a critical issue also.

This is how we will get our vehicals fixed through manufacturing laws, but we need to make them known first to the NHSA then GMC and there warranty dept, and customer service too.

Edited by 2strokesmoke

Make sure you call GM corporate and open up a case with them. Let's get everyone's problem on record with them. I did this last week. Got a call from the dealership service manager a day later and admitted their is a problem. Said they have been instructed to not do anything else as GM engineers are working on it and when there is a fix they will do it. Said she had a list of trucks with this problem waiting on a fix. At least they admitted to the problem this time and not tell me it's operating as normal.

Now fix it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014GMC,

That is some of the best news I've read so far here. I reached out via their Facebook pages at both GMC Trucks page and then they directed me to GMC Customer Care page. I would highly recommend everyone post comments about their issues on the page. These are of course public forums that they can't delete. (Write a review, not on their wall). Or do both.

My advice is to not get nasty but state your case and be firm with wanting a resolution. You always get more with honey.... Sting later if you have to but the more public this becomes the more GM will have to do something about it. (Or should) Again, social media has a way of making things become BIG issues, fast!

After I made my comments on their fb page they wanted me to send a PM which I did, and they are now researching my claims with the dealer and I was promised a call today or tomorrow. I'll post what happens.

Make sure you call GM corporate and open up a case with them. Let's get everyone's problem on record with them. I did this last week. Got a call from the dealership service manager a day later and admitted their is a problem. Said they have been instructed to not do anything else as GM engineers are working on it and when there is a fix they will do it. Said she had a list of trucks with this problem waiting on a fix. At least they admitted to the problem this time and not tell me it's operating as normal.

Now fix it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you please give me the phn number for the correct department to open up a case, as i don't want to play the going to the dealer game and getting lied to.

Service Manager at my dealer told me about the bulletin on "tire vibration" as he put it when I took my truck in for the transmission leak recall. Although I do not have the vibration issue, we discussed it at one point because others that have the Goodyears seem (to him) to have the most issues. They are proactively checking on their customer's satisfaction - I had the Continentals and changed them to Michelins. Anyway, he brought up the issue while I was checking out when he asked he if there are any other issues.

Tires may definitely be junk. I want Michelin LTX2's on my truck eventually. Seems like now a days the manufactures are putting junk tires on cars from the factory unless you buy a BMW/Benz etc. Benz and BMW know how to put nice tires on a car. Be a shame to lose potential buyers over some cheap skins. If we knew for sure it's the tires, then I wouldn't be so hesitant to buy a new truck. I'd go in there with the mind set, use them until they shake, get LTX's and witness road force balance them at my shop I normally use. But buying a new truck that has a vibration that nobody knows what the issue is, nor if it's even fixable is worrisome.

78 pages. I read all 78 pages. After reading them, I have a ton of thoughts on this issue I want to get out.

First, everyone take a deep breath. Now let's accept the fact that the 2014 Silverado/Sierra is a first run model year. Recalls and fixes are to be expected. All manufacturers go through this. Unfortunately that requires us to be patient and go through the repair motions until it's really time to blow our tops. Some guys in this thread have very valid reasons to blow their tops and I don't blame them. Others I think are going off the deep end way to early. It's important to note that since I bought my Silverado in February and catching flack from friends for buying another GM, Ford, Chrysler, Mazda, Toyota, Honda, and Tesla have all issued recalls. The Toyota Tacoma, which was the other truck I considered buying along with the new Silverado, is one of the Toyotas that has a faulty steering column bracket and a faulty engine starter that causes a fire.

Now that I got that out of the way, I have a 2014 Crew Cab Z71, short bed, with the 5.3L V8 and 3.42 rear end. After reading through all 78 pages, I think we need to rule out "wind" being the culprit of vibration. It just doesn't make sense. Some people have the vibration and some people don't and it's spanning all cab types and axle ratios for that matter. Exterior dimensions of the trucks are the exact same with regards to the different cab types and how the air flows over them. In other words, some Crew Cab Z71's with 3.42 axle ratios are vibrating and some Crew Cab Z71's with 3.42 axle ratios are NOT vibrating. Thus we can eliminate wind. One guy did mention his skid plate was rattling around and he fixed it by cutting it. While that specific problem was wind related, I don't think that's the same problem people are experiencing in this thread with regards to the mind numbing (literally) vibration.

Next, as others have pointed out, there appears to be different vibration problems experienced as some are simply corrected with tire balancing and some are not. I think it's important going forward that people describe very specifically what/where/when they experience vibration. Some guys are doing this well and giving speed ranges, indicating that they feel it in the steering wheel or passenger seat and so on. Good job that's the kind of information we need. Just don't gloss over your situation and state simply "my truck is vibrating!"

Now, onto my issue. I was driving into work this morning and noticed that my steering wheel vibrates or shimmy's at higher speeds.....roughly 60-75 mph. I haven't taken it faster because of the speed limits in my area. At lower speeds or at a complete stop there is no vibration/shimmy. I don't feel anything in the gas pedal or the seats, just a slight vibration in the steering wheel. While I just noticed it today, I'm taking my truck in tomorrow for the frame rust/peeling wax issue and I plan to ask them to check my tires for proper balance. I'm not 100% certain this is the culprit, but it makes the most sense at this point given my symptoms and is an easy starting point. I feel no vibration towards the rear end and it does not come and go with turns or hills or acceleration as others have mentioned. It appears to be related only to speed and it remains constant. I will keep you guys posted on how this plays out.

Anyway I don't mean to sound like I'm lecturing you guys but I had a 2007 Silverado that I got rid of for this 2014 Silverado and have been through all of the stages of grief with GM. At 85k miles the forward sprag in my transmission snapped, out of warranty of course, and cost me $2200 to fix. Then at 98k miles, it started consuming oil. I think most everyone here knows about the oil consumption issue and how it's basically a death sentence for your engine in only a matter of time. It took them 3 years to get that issue right and it came in the form of an engine re-design in 2010. Anyone that owned/owns a 2007 through 2009 was/is most likely burning oil at some point and if it's out of warranty they're eventually looking at paying for an engine rebuild or a full replacement at around $7,000.

In my personal case I decided I had enough repairing that truck and looked at a 2014 Silverado and a 2013 Tacoma. I test drove an F150 but I just don't like those trucks and they're still working out issues with the Ecoboost. I considered Toyota for reliability reasons and the fact that there really hasn't been any changes to the design of the Tacoma in years. I ultimately settled on a the Silverado because I still love the look and feel of a chevy truck, the transmission is basically teh same one they've had since 2009, and all engines now have active fuel management which means they've got that figured out finally. But I still knew buying a 2014 Silverado came with first year run risks and I was right. At the end of the day though through all of my experiences in my 29 short years on earth, it's a crap shoot when it comes to vehicle and reliability. My dad's friend has a 2014 Silverado that was one of the first ones to ever arrive on a dealer lot. Crew Cab, Long Bed, 5.3L, LTZ Z71, 3.42 rear axle ratio, no rust or vibration issues.

If you don't want to deal with problems like this, wait 2 or 3 years for the manufacturer to work the kinks out. I know it SHOULDN'T be that way. But it IS that way. Buy a Bentley or a Ferrari if you don't like it. In the mean time, we will just have to play the role of test drivers that comes with buying new vehicles. Again some people have valid reasons for dumping their trucks. At some point if it's not getting fixed you have to explore other options. Also, I am by no means dismissing poor customer service. But so far my dealer has been very helpful with resolving my issues under warranty so until they give me a reason to really be pissed at them, I'm going to remain patient as long as they are trying their best to help me. That's really all I can ask for. I also paid $1800 for an extended bumper to bumper warranty through 6 years/90,000 miles. That may have been steep but after the problems I had with my last truck, I took a chance on it and at this point I'm glad I did.

I love my truck overall. It rides better than my 2007 did by far, and the transmission is much smoother. My 2007 always clunked into gear but this transmission I can't even feel it it's so smooth. There's also a ton of upgrades chevy did to the interior that drove me nuts in my old truck. I won't get into those now. Some things got better, some things got worse with this model. But overall I can't say that I'm surprised with first run issues. Anyway we'll see what happens as things play out.

Edited by Silverado-Hareek

Seems like now a days the manufactures are putting junk tires on cars from the factory unless you buy a BMW/Benz etc. Benz and BMW know how to put nice tires on a car.

Believe it or not, but every one of my current GM vehicles came with good quality OEM tires. Silverado Z71 4x4 with Bridgestone Duellers, Impala LTZ with Goodyear Eagle RSAs, and Sonic LT with Hankook Optimo tires. No problems whatsoever with any of these and definitely no vibration issues.

Why GM chose to put crappy tires on some 2014 trucks is a mystery to me. Maybe a bad batch of tires that should have been rejected by quality control were shipped to them?

Edited by pm26

I wouldn't rush to call those good quality. :lol: The Bridgestones on my 2011 were ok, nothing more, nothing less. Goodyear tires are almost all crap- unless you go to the extremes of offroad tires or performance tires then they seem good. And Hankook is just a cheap import.

I went back to my dealership this weekend to have them rebalance my tires. The last time they gave my 4 brand new Bridgestone Dueller H/L Alenzas because they said the Goodyear LS2's were bad (excessive road force when balancing). This time they again replaced 3 of the Bridgestones for the same reason. I don't really understand what the deal was/is, but the new tires ride smooth as glass again after lowering the pressure back down to 32 psi. For some reason they always put the pressure up to 38-40 which gives a harsh ride. Now I have to bring my truck back in again sometime to have them look at my original concern - high-freq vibration in the floorboard at 1750 rpm.

FYI, a while back in the past I had a shock fail on my Yukon that caused bad random vibrations at higher speeds. And I have seen several people on this board that had their Rancho shocks replaced due to "leaking". Maybe other shocks are bad but the leaking cannot be detected. I don't know how you test a shock. I just usually replace them every 50k miles or so.