This vibration issue alone makes me not want to buy a new Chevy. This should not be difficult to find. You can put a frequency counter (?) on the dash and it will show you the frequency of the vibration and based on your speed you can see what part the vibration is coming from. There is also proper 9700 road force balancing which 99% of shops that have them, don't know how to use them properly. That's why I always stand there while they do it and help the tech and witness the Lbs of road force. Pinion angle is also critical. Pinion and u-joint angle to be more precise. I built a straight axle Dana 44 early 90's 4runner with a rotated front axle and rotated rear axle and CV shaft setup. Running 38's, That truck would do 100mph and not even shake your cup of coffee. Driveline tech is not something the $10/hr tire monkeys at the dealer know how to do. and the Silverado has leafs, so you have to deal with pinion pre-load also. IMO, the driveline is not setup correctly. The tires being balanced at the factory, in my experiences are spot on. This is a driveline math error. I'm thinking when the truck is unloaded the angles are way off, they probably have the thing setup for full load, or half load conditions. And yes, the longer the wheelbase/driveshaft the lower your operating angles will be, which mean smoother running driveline. GM should of coughed up the extra $20/truck and put a CV setup on the driveline.

Edited by FL335i

Ram subs out there transmission, vf makes them. I dont dought they all work together. Nissan is also making gm's new cargo van just putting a gmc badge on it. Ford and gm have been making there own trans forever. To competewith vf they are pairing up together to make to make a 9 and 10 speed trans. Trucks and suv's will have the 10 speed, and cars will have 9 speed.

The new ram has nothing to do with ford or dodge.

you're kidding right? The current generation if that is what you are calling the new ram has everything to do with Dodge. The next generation does as well. If they are not Dodge's design then please explain whose design they are.

Ram subs out there transmission, vf makes them. I dont dought they all work together. Nissan is also making gm's new cargo van just putting a gmc badge on it. Ford and gm have been making there own trans forever. To competewith vf they are pairing up together to make to make a 9 and 10 speed trans. Trucks and suv's will have the 10 speed, and cars will have 9 speed.

The transmissions are Mopar designed http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/545RFE.html

Let's stop ****** in the wind and get to the point. These are $40-$50k trucks that vibrate and shake like Smokey's car from the movie Friday. I personally know another co worker of mine that bought a new Silverado Z71 back in late '12? and it vibrated so bad they bought it back from him. So I'm not so sure this issue didn't carry over from the old platform like baggage. What is GM's official stance on this issue? If a column switch cost them over a BILLION dollars (Yes Q1 reports were out today) I can only imagine how expensive it would be to put new driveshafts, or axles etc. in these trucks. Just seems like GM doesn't really want to address this vibration issue. If GM doesn't come out with a TSB/Recall the dealers will never find the true issue and just keep throwing everything including the kitchen sink at these trucks. Which costs them money and loses customers. I have more respect for companies that say, here is the issue, here is the fix. IE- BMW. my '07 335i was part of that big HPFP capper. They swapped it out, some injectors and threw a good warranty on top for 120k/8yrs or something crazy like that. And nobody is reporting failures with the new pump. painless, and properly executed. GM could use a few neurotic attention to detail people from BMW. I might just wait for the new Titan.

Does anyone have viberation when letting off on the gas to slow down? I am having this problem! I have not brought the truck in for the last recall on the transmission. I am hoping this will be the issue.

I did on the Silverado I traded in, my GMC doesn't do it. I would let off the gas and after a few seconds of coasting and the speed dropped it would start to shake but it was almost more of a pulse or surge, like if I had warped rotors and was applying the brakes but I wasn't braking just coasting. It didn't do it until I got around 10,000 miles and didn't do it every time. On my way to work there is a stop light at the bottom of a hill and if I got a red light and kicked off the cruse and coasted down the hill it did it more then not.

As for as the thread topic, has anyone had the rear differential swap that fixed the vib problem...

Got it back with a whole new rear end on Wednesday.

At first I thought not but I am getting more optimistic;

I have a tire issue that came up at the same time they were doing the rear end so I can't say it is fixed yet 100 percent as one of the rims may be bad. I rotated and road forced the tires today and I can say the following.

It is greatly improved specifically at 60 and above. That was my biggest complaint, bad vibration when cruising. It seems to be acceptable.

Tomorrow the tire issue will be addressed and I hope these things it is doing go away;

I have some vibration at 40-45 that goes away at high speeds, also getting some seat shake at high speeds.

I did on the Silverado I traded in, my GMC doesn't do it. I would let off the gas and after a few seconds of coasting and the speed dropped it would start to shake but it was almost more of a pulse or surge, like if I had warped rotors and was applying the brakes but I wasn't braking just coasting. It didn't do it until I got around 10,000 miles and didn't do it every time. On my way to work there is a stop light at the bottom of a hill and if I got a red light and kicked off the cruse and coasted down the hill it did it more then not.[/quote

my sierra does it at all times! Hills or not. Did they figure what the problem was with the silverado you had?

FYI, Chrysler manufactures the ZF 8HP in U.S. (Kokomo) under license from ZF.