I picked my truck up from the dealer yesterday after dropping it off on 5/16/17.

As I stated before the first thing they did was put factory tires on. I purchased new Nitto Grappler G2 275/70/18 the week before because they wouldn't do the testing with the "mud" tires on. (Duratracs). After the factory tires were on they ran pico test to find the vibration. First they replaced the drive shaft, no change, then they changed the ring gear and pinion which they say has solved the problem. Seems better to me but I will put it to the real test on a longer trip next weekend.

After they admitted the tires were not the cause of the vibration and I got my truck back I have asked GM for reimbursement on the tires I bought since I think they wore prematurely because of the truck vibration. As with any GM situation I get 1000's of questions regarding the maintenance of my tires. Balancing, rotation, air pressure, weight of tires, size of tires etc. The service manager claimed GM 1500 suspensions are only rated to handle 37 lbs per tire, the butter cutters they use (SRA) are 36lbs. This is why I asked the question above. Service Manager: "It has never been my experience a ring gear and pinion issue would cause tires wear, a vibration in the chassis yes but never tire wear. Tire wear has always been related to shocks, alignments, under inflation, over inflation wrong or too large a tire for the application."

Regardless of the technicalities I feel like $700 for tires is a fair amount considering all the trips I had to make to the dealership(s) to get this issue fixed when it should have been fixed the first couple of times I brought it in.

• Like 2

. The service manager claimed GM 1500 suspensions are only rated to handle 37 lbs per tire, the butter cutters they use (SRA) are 36lbs.

Service manager is blowing smoke

I took a 500 mile trip on an interstate road last weekend and the shaking was very evident at 70 mph and above. Feels to me like it comes from the rear so I lowered the driver's side mirror to look at the wheel. I can clearly see it wobbling ever so slightly to the exact frequency of my vibration. Passenger side is fine. So I swapped the tire for my spare. Same wobble still there. When I got home I removed the caliper and disc to see if the disc was seated on the axle flange properly which it was. The axle flange itself is not true.

I have an appt at the dealer friday. What are the odds that they'll even check the axle flange runout even if I tell them about it. My bet is they balance the tires yet again and send me on my way.

You're not the first to note poorly manufactured axel flanges, but it is important to note that this is not something that GM checks, to my knowledge. Those who have found this issue, found it themselves. I have a dial indicator and have been meaning to check mine as well...

You're not the first to note poorly manufactured axel flanges, but it is important to note that this is not something that GM checks, to my knowledge. Those who have found this issue, found it themselves. I have a dial indicator and have been meaning to check mine as well...

A new axle shaft costs around $350 and probably that much for labor to install. If GM won't change it, I may just have it done elsewhere. I'm just so tired of this issue and it's simply a damn shame to have this problem on a new truck. GM is losing all respect from me and I'm telling everyone I know.

• Like 1

Just got home from the dealer and as predicted, they don't find anything wrong with it.

Has anyone heard of maybe the brake disc itself having a defect that would cause it to be uneven? I guess a dial indicator would really help here. I may have to borrow or buy one.

F-series, and Ram sales up for May 2017, GM Silverado and Sierra sales continue to drop! Word must be continuing to spread about their vibration problem that can’t be fixed. Either that or people are learning that the Silverado and Sierra don’t have the following features that are available on the Ford F-series:

•  

• Blind Spot Monitors
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • Rear HVAC vents
  • Keyless ignition
  • DOHC, 4 valve/cylinder engines
Guy I work with has all that on his F-150! It also shredded a belt at 50 some thousand miles and had to have it towed? No thanks he will be onto his 3rd F-150 by the time I dump my GMC at 200K+ and it probably will not give me any troubles to 200?

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2017/06/best-selling-pickup-trucks-may-2017.html

F-series, and Ram sales up for May 2017, GM Silverado and Sierra sales continue to drop! Word must be continuing to spread about their vibration problem that cant be fixed. Either that or people are learning that the Silverado and Sierra dont have the following features that are available on the Ford F-series:

• Blind Spot Monitors
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • Rear HVAC vents
  • Keyless ignition
  • DOHC, 4 valve/cylinder engines

Bad radio reception and Sierra's have candles for headlights.Dealer said they don't want these used trucks.Of course they will steal them from you on trade in which is pretty much normal.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2017/06/best-selling-pickup-trucks-may-2017.html

my comments are above Edited by WLC
  • Like 1

A new axle shaft costs around $350 and probably that much for labor to install. If GM won't change it, I may just have it done elsewhere. I'm just so tired of this issue and it's simply a damn shame to have this problem on a new truck. GM is losing all respect from me and I'm telling everyone I know.

Those of you who've experienced axle problems will like the below info I extracted from another thread on this forum. Maybe there is hope :)

"GM will build axles for its next-generation full-size pickups at its Grand Rapids components plant in Wyoming, Michigan, a move that is tied to investment and jobs that the automaker announced more than 18 months ago, according to two sources familiar with the automaker’s plans.

The automaker on Tuesday said the move to operations in Michigan would create 450 U.S. jobs. A GM spokeswoman declined to name the supplier or where or when those jobs would come to the U.S. However, American Axle & Manufacturing Holdings Inc. confirmed Tuesday that it was losing the work."

Well I have been quiet about my truck mainly due to being in the buyback process and not wanting to jeopardize the process.

Now that it is complete I can give the Steps that were taken.

Truck had 6 sets of tires put on it

One new set of wheels

New axle shafts

New ring and pinion

New steering rack bushings

New front hubs

All of this did not correct the issue, matter of fact the hotter it got outside the more the truck would shake, leading me to think it was transmission related.

I will say your first line of defense and advocacy is the service manager or in GM terms the Customer Experience Manager (CEM). He/She will speak on your behalf to the DMA who is the district rep.

In my case my CEM was great to deal with and I treated him with the utmost respect. If you encounter a CEM that is not helpful go somewhere else. Do not be demanding and let them run their process.

In my case I was in a rental for 52 days.

Hopefully this helps with you all who are experiencing this issue.

Just remember you can get more bees with honey.

• Like 2

This what we ALL need to do. Just tell as much people as we can, have to get that word out. It is getting out as shown by Gms terrible truck sales recently.

This what we ALL need to do. Just tell as much people as we can, have to get that word out. It is getting out as shown by Gms terrible truck sales recently.

Interesting article about Silverado sales.....

http://www.carprousa.com/chevy-silverado-sales-tanked

Truck had 6 sets of tires put on it

One new set of wheels

New axle shafts

New ring and pinion

New steering rack bushings

New front hubs

All of this did not correct the issue...,

If all of the replaced items were not broken or defective and were replaced with the same part to figure out a problem, then yes, the issue will be unchanged. If the part was upgraded in some way, then it makes sense. GM was throwing crap on the wall to see what stuck until it just wore you out or you got lucky enough to get out of the deal. Both in your case