I know my next truck will be the ram eco diesel. This is my first gm and will be my LAST, these trucks were rushed by gm. And they want to call them selves professional grade! PROS dont built JUNK. The only thing I like is the gas mileage. Other than that I cant wait for my lease to be up

Im just gonna throw it out there it sounds like it may be rear drive shaft slightly out of balence. I know I bottomed out my old frontier and put the drive shaft out. It vibrated like hell after around 50 mph

Mine has had 3 different shafts now and they all felt exactly the same. Original, one the dealer took out of another truck on the lot, and the new one they ordered as a replacement for the truck they took the second one out of. GM knows what the problems are at this point... If it's the rear end, I could see a possible recall in the future when they start locking up...

Edited by 20Bowtie14

Question for those who have been chasing this issue on their trucks. How many have swapped tire brands?...and did it help? The reason I ask is, my 2010 Silverado had quite a shimmy for months when I bought it new. I brought it back orignally and they swapped a tire but the same junk stock tire. I put up with it for months and finally pulled the stock tires off and went with Nitto Crosstek's and the problem was all but gone. I dont think Chevy trucks ever ride like cars, at least in my experience but I wonder if Goodyear made a huge lot of crap tires to send to GM as part of a big "make them cheap" contract?

Second, my vibration comes and goes in intensity...it seems when it's bad, I'm around 75 mph and the hood actually shakes as if wind turbulence is causing at least part of it. How much could wind be playing a part in this whole issue?

I would think that an out of spec rear end would wear itself very quickly once vibrating, and you'd see the vibration issue get worse rapidly until the rear end failed. I'm just trying to look at this logically and try to understand what is going on, possible causes etc. It is clear, through what others have experienced, that swapping around those crap Goodyears and rebalancing IS NOT a fix and is largely a waste fo time. I'm very temped to drop $650 for 4 new Nittos becasue this fixed my old truck for the most part. I dont want to if it wont make any difference though.

Also, for myself personally...I'm also trying to look at myself and decide is it as bad as I think it is? The truck is so quiet and comfortabe, the door has a nice solid "thunk" sound when closing, like a quality car. Then when you hit the highway you get the ride of a truck :( Anybody's input here is appreciated.

If we decide to just live with this shimmy, will something eventually fail?

Edited by MJFlores

I was wondering how many people change the stance of their truck, I was getting ready to drop the back and didn't after reading the vibration post. My truck has no vibrations. It didn't come with Good Year tires. I did a muffler delete and notice a little vibration at low speeds in V4, I just keep it out of V4 till after 60 MPH and fix that.

Just got the truck back with a new rear end and drive shaft.

Initially it seems the vibration is still there from 40 up but not as bad at the higher speeds. So far I just checked on the rough in town roads.

Today I have a long trip planned. On smooth roads is when it really annoys me and I will be able to see if it improved on the highway.

At this moment I am not positive the rear end is the fix.

I am sure that all the people here who have problems with their GM trucks will appreciate your keen insight into quality issues and suddenly realize that they have been wrong all along - that in fact they are imagining all of their problems!.

I'm not saying that these people aren't having problems. I'm even having slight, minor problems with my Denali. But your CONSTANT, REPETITIVE claims that outsourcing to Mexico and China is the cause of these quality issues is completely wrong and unnecessary. The evidence I provided shows that even higher US sourced and US assembled vehicles are having as many and MORE problems than GM. You opinion of outsourcing is completely wrong. And actually, the facts tend to show that the opposite is true - outsourced parts/vehicles have less problems.

The fact is that I have two 2014 chevy's in the shop right now for warranty work. It just goes to show you can't trust what the press says.

It is hard to prove a point with magazine research and stories when you are trying to convince those of us who have been educated by the not of "highest quality of all full-sized trucks" that we own. Perhaps try and make this argument in a different thread where people are not having problems.

I would post links to all the other car forums out there where people are having the same and more problems with their vehicles, but people still won't believe it. Again, I'm not saying that our problems are imaginary, just that other OEMs are worse. Statistics don't lie.

Just an update from this am. I just drove about 24 miles, mostly highway. I brought the truck up to 70 and set the crusie control the whole way and the truck drove very nice. Yeserday was not the case however. It was much warmer yesterday than this am, and I really never started being bothered by vibration until the warmer weather started hitting (I bought my truck at the begining of Feb). Could warmer temps have somehting to do with these vibration issues or no?

FYI, I brought my Denali in last week for a slight, high frequency vibration (RPM related, not speed/tire related) and against my recommendation, the dealership replaced my tires. My truck rode smooth as glass at all speeds, it just had a buzzing vibration right at 1700-1750 RPMs in all gears. On long trips it would get so bad that my left foot would sometimes go numb. I told them it was driveline related, but the oil change/tire tech looked at it first and thought the tires were to blame. Now I have the buzzing vibration AND a high speed (70-80 mph) wobble/vibration. They gave me Bridgestone Duellers (H/L Alenzas). I love the tires as I have them on my Yukon with 22" rims, but I was afraid this would happen. I have another appointment Friday to get them rebalanced.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the challenges of low profile tires, they're very difficult to correctly balance. Or I should say that they're more challenging to balance. There is more weight in the rim, and it's farther out from the hub, so the larger weight rotates much faster than on lower profile wheels. And then there's less rubber to absorb the shock/vibration that occurs naturally. I've had 22" wheels on vehciles for years, and it almost always takes 2/3/4 times to get them perfectly balanced (same thing with alignment). Sometimes I bring them to multiple shops before they're right. My 2003 Yukon came with factory 16" wheels and rode smooth as glass when stock. After the upgrade, I had frequent tire vibrations that had to be addressed. Once I get them right, I don't rebalance unless I have too - only rotate.

My opinion is that many of these problems are tire balance related, but the OEMs aren't used to dealing with low profile tires and higher speeds. Speeds here in Texas are 75 - 85 on highways and freeways. If you have 20" tires, I'd just keep asking the dealer to rebalance. You could also ask to try a set of 17" or 18" tires to compare. Or put your tires on another vehicle to narrow down the source of the problem.

I would post links to all the other car forums out there where people are having the same and more problems with their vehicles, but people still won't believe it. Again, I'm not saying that our problems are imaginary, just that other OEMs are worse. Statistics don't lie.

I am sure other manufactures are having problems.

Statistics can be bent and shaped to say whatever point you want to make though.

Here are my statistics; 3 of the 7 2014's I have been in have the vibration issue. That would be 42% of the chevy half ton trucks.

Looking over the ill fitting rear door issues GMC and Chevy has, on the dealers lot we found about 30% of the trucks have issues.