Flat rate and job guides that pay half time for what a real repair cost is what hurts the dealerships. It's hard to keep good technicians when warranty work pays crap time for diagnostic work.

Add to that poor tech data from the manufacturer and it's a perfect storm.

You are 100% correct. GM pays a very small flat rate for all this warranty work, and depending on the dealership, the technician only gets paid when GM pays. So, out yourself in the tchnicians boots - are you going to spend 10 hrs diagnosing and funding the problem when GM/dealership is only going to pay you 1/2hr for a Roadforce balance? Nope. Are you going t spend the 5-6 hours to do a proper, full Roadforce balance when GM/dealership is only paying you 1/2hr flatware for Roadforce balance? Nope!

When I had my Yukon in for the buffeting and they took the headliner out to re-glue the roof skin to the cross-braces (yea, GM glues their vehicles together! Can we all say "junk" together), I spoke to the technician doing the job. I said "man, this looks like a big job". He stopped, and in a very annoyed, pissed-off tone, said "GM pays flat rate 5 hr for the total job. Took me a day just to remove the headliner. I have to eat the rest." Sheepishly, I dropped the conversation.

At the time, I was pretty choked that GM would treat the technicians this way. Talking about it now, stirs up same sentiment. BTW, that was early 2015... Over 2 years ago. And here we are, still getting no wher fixing these issues.

Like davidtgibson said, GM is deflecting us until we get tired and give up (which I've pretty much done), all the while making their suppliers eat most of he cost. I'm sure the conversation between GM and their suppliers is simple- eat this or no more orders! Reminds me of someone's else's business practices.....

When I had my Yukon in for the buffeting and they took the headliner out to re-glue the roof skin to the cross-braces (yea, GM glues their vehicles together! Can we all say "junk" together),

Bentley, Jaguar and many others use epoxies extensively, don't sell the "glues" short.

• Like 1

You are 100% correct. GM pays a very small flat rate for all this warranty work, and depending on the dealership, the technician only gets paid when GM pays. So, out yourself in the tchnicians boots - are you going to spend 10 hrs diagnosing and funding the problem when GM/dealership is only going to pay you 1/2hr for a Roadforce balance? Nope. Are you going t spend the 5-6 hours to do a proper, full Roadforce balance when GM/dealership is only paying you 1/2hr flatware for Roadforce balance? Nope!

When I had my Yukon in for the buffeting and they took the headliner out to re-glue the roof skin to the cross-braces (yea, GM glues their vehicles together! Can we all say "junk" together), I spoke to the technician doing the job. I said "man, this looks like a big job". He stopped, and in a very annoyed, pissed-off tone, said "GM pays flat rate 5 hr for the total job. Took me a day just to remove the headliner. I have to eat the rest." Sheepishly, I dropped the conversation.

At the time, I was pretty choked that GM would treat the technicians this way. Talking about it now, stirs up same sentiment. BTW, that was early 2015... Over 2 years ago. And here we are, still getting no wher fixing these issues.

Like davidtgibson said, GM is deflecting us until we get tired and give up (which I've pretty much done), all the while making their suppliers eat most of he cost. I'm sure the conversation between GM and their suppliers is simple- eat this or no more orders! Reminds me of someone's else's business practices.....

Add insult to injury the job guide gives less and less time over the years as a model ages.

The thought is that technicians can do the same job shorter each time they do it.

I feel bad for a tech that has to do a job on a older model that got less time allotted when he/she only saw this one or two times.

Checking back in, at 7300 miles now, i had my stock size 275/55-20 Duratracs re-balanced while I watched. After that the truck is smooth up to 85mph on afreshly paved road near me. There is a little jiggle but nothing like it was with the stock tires and with the duratracs 4k miles ago. Ive taken the truck out of town and on some rough roads to try to get the shake to come back. Its still pretty darn smooth. Mine is a 17, do we think they really made a big enough change to he 17's to makeit livable with properly balanced tires?

Just looking to add to the conversation.

My 2017 All Terrain X has had tires balanced and it did nothing to help the shaking. They are still working on a fix with different struts and tires. If that doesn't work they are calling in the GM field engineer.

On a side note I am riding around in a 17 loaner and it is smooth as glass. This one is just a regular All Terrain but it rides 100% better than mine does. Even the transmission is smoother.

Edited by zachcest
  • Like 1

Somebody tried to do the class action lawsuit already. He was only able to help himself really. If my memory serves me correctly, he got a buyback and then went to another brand shortly after. It's very frustrating and absurd that in 2017 we are plagued with expensive cheap sh1t. Contaminated food, high prices for insurance we can't use, and tons of BS everywhere else. I'm going to keep this truck for another year, and buy myself a leftover 2016/17 Frontier. They'll be cheap AF when the new body style drops. It's what I should have done all along. My current truck is reliable in every other way. Shakes like a twerking video though, even with all of the money I've burned on suspension, wheels, and tires.

I'm familiar with the dude you refer to concerning attempting to get a class action suit going. A good guy and enjoyed sparing with him occasionally. (How you doing JD? Hope all is well with you)! Anyway, I think as part of his settlement he had to agree to stop playing in this sandbox but not sure. Anyway, back to class action lawsuits; there's one thing we can be certain of besides death and taxes and that's if there's money to be made from a potential class action lawsuit there will be attorneys all over it. Like sharks tasting blood in the water. So, the question is this; if this is such a large and pervasive problem with this generation truck why isn't there already a lawsuit filed and in the works? to me, that's the big mystery. Maybe we have an Esquire lurking out there who can give us a good answer?

• Like 1

I'm familiar with the dude you refer to concerning attempting to get a class action suit going. A good guy and enjoyed sparing with him occasionally. (How you doing JD? Hope all is well with you)! Anyway, I think as part of his settlement he had to agree to stop playing in this sandbox but not sure. Anyway, back to class action lawsuits; there's one thing we can be certain of besides death and taxes and that's if there's money to be made from a potential class action lawsuit there will be attorneys all over it. Like sharks tasting blood in the water. So, the question is this; if this is such a large and pervasive problem with this generation truck why isn't there already a lawsuit filed and in the works? to me, that's the big mystery. Maybe we have an Esquire lurking out there who can give us a good answer?

I know it's JD. He is indeed a good guy and probably much happier since he moved on. Most people will say, hey, it's a truck. They ride like that. I say hey, the ride is too inconsistent, rough, shaky and should be better. FFS, this is the same company that builds Cadillac. They are experts in ride quality in my opinion. I don't need a cadi ride. I want the newborn giraffe feeling to go away.
  • Like 1

I know it's JD. He is indeed a good guy and probably much happier since he moved on. Most people will say, hey, it's a truck. They ride like that. I say hey, the ride is too inconsistent, rough, shaky and should be better. FFS, this is the same company that builds Cadillac. They are experts in ride quality in my opinion. I don't need a cadi ride. I want the newborn giraffe feeling to go away.

Instead of a 2016/2017 Frontier you should get ahead of the curve and buy a pre 1970 truck. This is the year or thereabouts that the auto industry switched from mechanical/analog ignition systems to solid-state systems. If you want to have something to drive after the little fat crazy kid ruling N. Korea sets off a nuke somewhere over the U.S. thereby creating an EMP condition it's the way to go. Just kidding, sorta, lol :)

• Like 1

Instead of a 2016/2017 Frontier you should get ahead of the curve and buy a pre 1970 truck. This is the year or thereabouts that the auto industry switched from mechanical/analog ignition systems to solid-state systems. If you want to have something to drive after the little fat crazy kid ruling N. Korea sets off a nuke somewhere over the U.S. thereby creating an EMP condition it's the way to go. Just kidding, sorta, lol :)

While my truck, at 31K miles doesn't have the dreaded Chevy Shake, I do get tired of the thump, thump, thump, from whacking the expansion joints in the crappy roads where I live. I would like to see GM take a page out of the Ram play book and offer coil springs with air bags as an option for the rear suspension. For years 1967~1972 GM actually offered on the 1/2 ton C/K both coil and leaf spring rear suspension systems. Apparently, the coil system out sold the leaf spring system. Don't know why the coils were discontinued.

• Like 1

While my truck, at 31K miles doesn't have the dreaded Chevy Shake, I do get tired of the thump, thump, thump, from whacking the expansion joints in the crappy roads where I live. I would like to see GM take a page out of the Ram play book and offer coil springs with air bags as an option for the rear suspension. For years 1967~1972 GM actually offered on the 1/2 ton C/K both coil and leaf spring rear suspension systems. Apparently, the coil system out sold the leaf spring system. Don't know why the coils were discontinued.

Their towing numbers "tongue weight" and payload would drop considerably. We all know well about this race to be the best in class....bragging rights!

• Like 1

Their towing numbers "tongue weight" and payload would drop considerably. We all know well about this race to be the best in class....bragging rights!

Yup, you're right about that for sure. And, I wouldn't want to give up my 6.2/8 spd as I do tow occasionally. But, was thinking maybe by offering the coil/air bag combo, the air bags could provide the extra lift for the coil springs as needed?

• Like 1

Not sure if this gives some incite but I did just install new tires and I still have the shake. I have a 2016 custom(double cab 5.3 4wd) Ive had the shake since about 2500 miles(center console shakes) For me it happens from 70 to 80 only. Other then that its smooth glass. 3 weeks ago I had the dealer so an alignment because my continental tires were wearing funky. Yesterday I went and purchased a new set of cooper AT3's(went up a size 275/60r20). Had them road force balanced and everything. Got on the highway to go to work and still have the same vibration. Actually seems to happen a bit earlier now. Used to be 73 to 80 and now its 70 to 80.

Not sure if this gives some incite but I did just install new tires and I still have the shake. I have a 2016 custom(double cab 5.3 4wd) Ive had the shake since about 2500 miles(center console shakes) For me it happens from 70 to 80 only. Other then that its smooth glass. 3 weeks ago I had the dealer so an alignment because my continental tires were wearing funky. Yesterday I went and purchased a new set of cooper AT3's(went up a size 275/60r20). Had them road force balanced and everything. Got on the highway to go to work and still have the same vibration. Actually seems to happen a bit earlier now. Used to be 73 to 80 and now its 70 to 80.

Interesting. So, question for you.... Did the vibration stay gone after the wheel alignment right up to when you put the new tires on? Did you get a another wheel alignment done right after these new tires were put on?

I noticed that after a wheel alignment on my Yukon, it was a totally different vehicle; smoother, lighter steering, and the buffeting at highway speed was pretty much gone.

vibration never actually went away. Truck has around 16k miles on it now. Its been vibrating since about 2500 miles. Kind of just proving the point that its not the tires.

I had a similar issue in my 2017 Sierra Denali. I had a tech from the dealer go with me for a ride and he definitely felt it. They ended up calling GM for a fix and what they found out was that the transmission was overfilled from the factory. The excess fluid caused foaming which made the transmission shudder on light acceleration and only when is was fully warmed up. The fix was to double flush the transmission and change the filter. Since then, the shake in the steering wheel is gone and shifting is much smoother. I would definitely have a dealer look into that for you. Trust me, I was VERY close to trading this truck in because I couldn't stand it anymore.