Got my axles replaced on 1/11. Still early ~150 miles, but so far very much improved. I still have a slight vibration at 45-60, very tolerable, but around 62 it completely goes away and is really smooth all the way up to 90. Need much more time/miles to see if it stays away.

The guy who replaced the axles said they ones he took out looked fine to him and didn't see anything obviously wrong with him. He also insisted my problem is tires/wheels or brakes. He claims that they have fixed several of these "newer trucks with vibration by putting on after market brake pads"... I don't have much faith in that shop though but they were the only place around that could get Yukon axles and do the swap.

Really don't want the truck anymore either way though. It has really caused me so much stress that I get up every morning hoping it was stolen. I will be trading it soon, tried to get a Ford Raptor this morning but was already sold.

Got my axles replaced on 1/11. Still early ~150 miles, but so far very much improved. I still have a slight vibration at 45-60, very tolerable, but around 62 it completely goes away and is really smooth all the way up to 90. Need much more time/miles to see if it stays away.

The guy who replaced the axles said they ones he took out looked fine to him and didn't see anything obviously wrong with him. He also insisted my problem is tires/wheels or brakes. He claims that they have fixed several of these "newer trucks with vibration by putting on after market brake pads"... I don't have much faith in that shop though but they were the only place around that could get Yukon axles and do the swap.

Really don't want the truck anymore either way though. It has really caused me so much stress that I get up every morning hoping it was stolen. I will be trading it soon, tried to get a Ford Raptor this morning but was already sold.

What year raptor? I love those trucks! Very expensive though

wirechild, on 16 Jan 2017 - 7:24 PM, said:

ummmm......I thought Ol Softail was 100% sure telling people it's the axles, Axle?

• Like 1

Does the slight vibration from 45-60 mph feel the same as the higher speed vibration/shake did?

Interesting read!

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/gm-to-add-or-keep-7-000-jobs-make-us-1b-factory-investment-1.3244330

An earlier version of the story specifically mentions GM bringing in-house the manufacturing of axles for full-sized pickups.

Perhaps they have figured something out.

Bert

That's rather telling. My axles came in today, installing Saturday. Anxious to see the results.

Interesting read!

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/gm-to-add-or-keep-7-000-jobs-make-us-1b-factory-investment-1.3244330

An earlier version of the story specifically mentions GM bringing in-house the manufacturing of axles for full-sized pickups.

Bert

And I quote ...

"GM said the factory investment has been in the works for years and will create or keep around 1,500 jobs at unspecified factories. Included in that figure are 450 new pickup truck axle-making jobs that will be moved to Michigan from Mexico, a decision made well before the presidential election campaign, the company said."

Where's my damn axles GM? I'm waiting.

Guys I kind of have a question , the lugs are tork to 140 Lb on the Silverado ! Now think just 1 minute , there is no way to bring them all in even to that setting unless you have one of them big tools like at the factory where all are tork at once. Could when a person trys to tork the lugs 1 at a time be warping the plate where the studs are attached ? My older Silverados all were tork to 110 if I remember correctly , this plate should be at least 3/8 if not even 1/2 inch thick. Think about this because as another poster stated he had wobble at the studs so this would have to be the cause !

Interesting read!

Bert

================================

Just fyi, AAM (American Axle) was founded by GM in 1917 and was a division of GM till 1917 when it was spun off as was DELCO, BTW, AAM currently manufactures axles for numerous auto co's including Ford and Ram. Extracted the below from their website, just some info :)

AAM formed on March 1, 1994

AAM formed on March 1, 1994

Fast Fact

Founded in 1994, AAM is a leading automotive supplier of driveline and drivetrain systems and related components, chassis systems and metal formed products.

1900-1993 | 1994-1999 | 2000-Present

AAM can trace its history to the beginning of the 20th century and the infancy of the automotive industry. The foundation for what is now AAM was established in 1917 when General Motors Corporation built an aircraft parts manufacturing facility in Detroit, on the land where AAM’s World Headquarters and flagship North American facility now stands. Later, automotive parts were added to the product mix. By 1920, two additional plants had been built in Detroit to meet the increased demands of the burgeoning automotive industry. Two additional plants were constructed in Detroit in the ‘40s and ‘50s.

The facilities remained under the General Motors umbrella until late 1992, when General Motors publicly announced that 18 of its manufacturing plants were for sale – five of which encompassed the Final Drive and Forge Business Unit of GM.

In response to the GM announcement, Richard E. Dauch, who had recently retired from the Chrysler Corporation as executive vice president Worldwide Manufacturing, formed a small investment team to purchase five driveline and forging assets that GM had up for sale. On March 1, 1994, AAM became a stand-alone, independent, multi-billion-dollar Tier One automotive supplier.

Since its inception, AAM has invested approximately four billion dollars in capital expenditures efficiently and appropriately. AAM has also invested nearly one billion in applied research and development since 1994 and continues to increase its investment in product, process and systems technology in order to drive its future global growth. As a result, AAM now operates the industry’s most modern, efficient, and flexible driveline facilities in the world.

The company continues to expand it's product portfolio to incorporate high technology systems and electronics for the growing global markets.

In 1994, only five percent of AAM’s products contained electronics. Today over 80 percent of its products incorporate electronics. AAM’s continuous investment in R&D, its focus on product, process and systems technology, as well as its exceptional quality, delivery and productivity improvements have all played a critical role in making AAM one of the most successful Tier One automotive suppliers in the world. AAM is well known for its program management and exceptional launch capabilities.

On January 29, 1999 AAM became a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) with the ticker symbol AXL. Today, it is one of the largest automotive supplier in North America, and ranks in the top 50 Tier One suppliers in the world.

“Today all of our facilities have a highly trained workforce,” says AAM Co-Founder, Chairman & CEO Richard E. Dauch. “We use the latest and best technology and deliver precision engineered, value-added products with world-class quality."

At AAM our focus is on the future but we have a deep respect for our history. We hope that our brief historical timeline will help you to understand the foundation on which AAM is built.