And GM will keep saying its the tires

Thats right. I had two balances and aftermarket wheels/tires and same deal. Im surprised it only vibrates 40-45mph and 70-75mph. I just emailed GMC the video to see what they say. Unfortunately my warranty has passed and doubt this is covered under power train warranty.

Edited by zmnypit

Here's part 2. Its all the drivers side as the passenger side isnt bad. I slowed it down and took a couple angles/measurements people PM'd me about. I had to put it all back together until I get new axles then I'll swap them out and make a video if needed. Until then I'll keep enjoying my $40k massage.

That is horrible runout, you are positive you did not hit something correct? What was your tire wear like on that tire?

Here's part 2. Its all the drivers side as the passenger side isnt bad. I slowed it down and took a couple angles/measurements people PM'd me about. I had to put it all back together until I get new axles then I'll swap them out and make a video if needed. Until then I'll keep enjoying my $40k massage.

Wow. Can't believe how bad that is. But according to GM it's within spec.

Sent from my OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

So where is that "Slop" coming from is the question? That is why I questioned "MR I solved the riddle of the century" removing 18 grams off the area in question does nothing...........Let's slide those Yukons on in Mate!

That is horrible runout, you are positive you did not hit something correct? What was your tire wear like on that tire?

I haven't hit anything. Passenger side is the same way but not as severe. Wear appeared normal but then again tires only have around 2k on them. I rarely go over 40-50mi round trip in the last 2 years.

They need to source better parts then. I'm tired of spending time and money trying to fix my truck that only has 22K miles.

Sent from my OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

As long as people keep buying them they have no reason to spend additional money on better parts. So you have 2 options, keep spending money to fix it yourself or don't. It's up to you. I've seen a little bit of everything in this thread but one thing I have NOT seen is someone who opted out who wishes they hadn't. None of us wanted to move to another brand but we are all really happy we did.

• Like 3

New guy here and first post. Found this place while doing a search about the vibration I'm getting in my 2016 Sierra that I've had for a month now. Started at around 400 miles and now I'm at 2300 miles. I really feel it in my steering wheel and it's almost constantly while vehicle is moving. Going in tomorrow morning to dealership. Didn't read this entire thread but quite a bit. Has anyone measured their wheelbase driver side compared to the passenger? Mine is 3/8th of an inch longer on passenger side. This is a new one to me. Sorry if this has been discussed but searching has not given me anything. I'm coming out of a 12 year stretch with an 05 Ram 2500 4x4 with a Cummins. That truck was loud but I never had an issue like this. Love everything about the Sierra except for the vibration which actually makes my hand numb after 30 miles or so

New guy here and first post. Found this place while doing a search about the vibration I'm getting in my 2016 Sierra that I've had for a month now. Started at around 400 miles and now I'm at 2300 miles. I really feel it in my steering wheel and it's almost constantly while vehicle is moving. Going in tomorrow morning to dealership. Didn't read this entire thread but quite a bit. Has anyone measured their wheelbase driver side compared to the passenger? Mine is 3/8th of an inch longer on passenger side. This is a new one to me. Sorry if this has been discussed but searching has not given me anything. I'm coming out of a 12 year stretch with an 05 Ram 2500 4x4 with a Cummins. That truck was loud but I never had an issue like this. Love everything about the Sierra except for the vibration which actually makes my hand numb after 30 miles or so

Same problem when I bought mine 7 months ago. They put shims on the motor mounts and the steering wheel vibration went away. There should be a TSB for this. I'll edit my post when I find it.

TSB Reference#PIP5211B

Edited by Severado
  • Like 1

Holy crap! The amount of "wobble" created at the tire from the face runout is shocking. No wonder there is some much vibration/shake felt in the cab. Still doesn't explain why this issue seems to come and go for some people but regardless, that is seriously defective.

OK, has anyone gone into their dealer with and shown them the amount of runout measured on their axle flanges? In all the posts on this thread, I don't recall anyone saying that the dealer ever checked these measurements or any GM TSB focusing on the axle flanges. Obviously, that the first thing to check. Heck, I'm definitely going to check them on my Yukon first chance I get.

Just a side note, not sure if the lateral runout on the face of the protruding "hub" means much,maps that surface doesn't really engage anything. BUT, it is indicative of any overall poorly machine part, as everything seems to have a ton of runout.

Bottom line....those axles are JUNK!

I believe the root cause of all our shakes and vibrations are mostly contributed to poor tolerance stacking. No one probably did a good job at Advanced GD&T on a completed assembly or component parts - ( Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing, often referred to as GD&T, is a symbolic language used on engineering drawings and models to define the allowable deviation of feature geometry). All these problems are causing our trucks to resonate (vibrating) at a frequency and amplitude that varies based upon changing / variable conditions. Under the right circumstances, multiple components begin resonating sending harmonics (vibration waves) until we begin experiencing unacceptable conditions. I understand we have stiff frames with high durometer frame to body bushings that aren't helping absorb these vibrations. Some of us have stopped enough of these resonating components to deem the vehicle repaired. Believe me there is still and always will be resonating vibrations, but only at an acceptable level. My truck has been deemed acceptable (smooth) for over 1,000 miles, but it took me replacing the rear ring gear to achieve this level. Others may find changing axles, truing drive shafts, balancing tires, & ect to get their truck to an acceptable level. My point is to identify some of these components by removing them from the equation and you to may get your truck to an acceptable level.

Axles will be installed next weekend. At that point on the only thing after the transmission that is OE will be the axle housing and calipers. I've replaced the drive shaft, ring and pinion, carrier, rotors, wheels and tires.

I will be taking run-out measurements on the factory axles.

Zmnypit, could you see that much wobbling when the wheels were on the ground or was it only noticeable once the truck was on stands?

Its not as noticeable on the ground but now that I know its there I catch myself looking in the mirror as I'm driving and you can see the wobble. It looks like a bad tire when driving.

Axles will be installed next weekend. At that point on the only thing after the transmission that is OE will be the axle housing and calipers. I've replaced the drive shaft, ring and pinion, carrier, rotors, wheels and tires.

I will be taking run-out measurements on the factory axles.

Did you check yours before ordering new ones?