Naah was just going to compliment you on your choice of snowblower. You made a poor decision when you went to Ford, but was going to give you kudos for getting an Ariens. However- Trying to stay more "on-topic" this year :P

lol, haha yea I got the Platinum SHO 24".... best power to size ratio in the market, I love it.... although I probably would have gotten a High end Honda or Simplicity if I could have afforded it. The old John Deere throwers are amazing too, and they last forever. I love the Ford too, sorry to disappoint.

I can see why GM keeps focusing on the tires. In so many cases, they improve the RF of the tires and reduce/eliminate the vibration issue ... In most cases temporarily, mind you. But, common cause-and-effect Logic logic would then suggest the tires are the source of the excitation forces. It actually, unfortunately, makes sense. I say unfortunately, because of course GM can't, or won't, get past the tires. I suspect, mainly because what else are they going to do? Replace the frame on your truck? Goodness, that will never happen. Or the cab mounts? Or the entire suspension?

Here's the thing....this thing is a "system". A system of masses and stiffnesses, all connected together. All interacting with each other. And the tighter and stiffer these components are, the more they affect each other as a system. Long gone are the days when the car maker simply had to "tune" the suspension (remember that marketing?). Now, the entire vehicle needs to be tuned (or de tuned) as a system. Something went wrong with this generation of vehicles for GM. They know that. And they know what went wrong. And it's too fundamental to fix.

Either that, or it's another case of GM arrogance, where they think "there are no problem vehicles, only problem customers"....I shared this story a couple hundred pages ago. Believe me, it's worth the read!!

Tires affect the input excitation forces, as do axles, and driveshafts, and gear sets, and transmissions, etc. Sure, get them close to perfectly balanced and you might get lucky and not excite the problem. But if the responding system has enough amplification factor and/or insufficient damping, it's pretty hard to keep it quiet. From the looks of it, GM missed the boat one or more of the following, making for a SUPER sensitive system:

- natural frequency

- insufficient damping

- insufficient isolation

And I keep scratching my head why some folks report the problem goes away for a few hundred miles, only t come back. Something has to be changing for that to happen. Weird, weird stuff.....

I can see why GM keeps focusing on the tires. In so many cases, they improve the RF of the tires and reduce/eliminate the vibration issue ... In most cases temporarily, mind you. But, common cause-and-effect Logic logic would then suggest the tires are the source of the excitation forces. It actually, unfortunately, makes sense. I say unfortunately, because of course GM can't, or won't, get past the tires. I suspect, mainly because what else are they going to do? Replace the frame on your truck? Goodness, that will never happen. Or the cab mounts? Or the entire suspension?

Here's the thing....this thing is a "system". A system of masses and stiffnesses, all connected together. All interacting with each other. And the tighter and stiffer these components are, the more they affect each other as a system. Long gone are the days when the car maker simply had to "tune" the suspension (remember that marketing?). Now, the entire vehicle needs to be tuned (or de tuned) as a system. Something went wrong with this generation of vehicles for GM. They know that. And they know what went wrong. And it's too fundamental to fix.

Either that, or it's another case of GM arrogance, where they think "there are no problem vehicles, only problem customers"....I shared this story a couple hundred pages ago. Believe me, it's worth the read!!

Tires affect the input excitation forces, as do axles, and driveshafts, and gear sets, and transmissions, etc. Sure, get them close to perfectly balanced and you might get lucky and not excite the problem. But if the responding system has enough amplification factor and/or insufficient damping, it's pretty hard to keep it quiet. From the looks of it, GM missed the boat one or more of the following, making for a SUPER sensitive system:

- natural frequency

- insufficient damping

- insufficient isolation

And I keep scratching my head why some folks report the problem goes away for a few hundred miles, only t come back. Something has to be changing for that to happen. Weird, weird stuff.....

There are two types in here, the people who are here to complain about GM and the fact that the dealer can't fix the vibration no matter how many times they balance the wheels and tires, the type of people who try to say the platform is fundamentally flawed, even though we are talking about a minute percentage of total produced vehicles having this issue.

The other group are the people doing things to try and find a fix, which through the experience of those have narrowed it down to bad driveshaft or axle shaft manufacturing. Which the same company, AAM, manufactures both. Poor quality control at its finest.

You see, the problem with the fundamental flaw argument, or as it's being put forth here, the chassis is too stiff or has some crazy harmonic resonance issues, is that it would be the rule, not the exception. This is the furthest thing from the rule as it isn't an issue of any real prevelance which leads it back to the QC issues that are actually being resolved.

Once again, I have owned 3 1500 Silverados, a 2014 and currently own two 2015's. My own personal experience proves it isn't a design flaw. If this is an inherent design flaw why am I only experiencing it on one truck, and after it's gone from fixing the defective parts, that have nothing to do with the design of the truck, how would that relate to anything to do with the design of the vehicle.

But maybe I am the lucky one who bought one of the extra stiff chassis trucks and the people without vibration should complain because they aren't getting the stiff chassis they thought they were. I should just ignore the blatant axle run out I can see just by jacking the back of my truck in the air and looking at it. Surely that wouldn't cause a vibration.

Edited by Darth_Vader
  • Like 1

I do not know if this has to do with the vibration issues in my 2015 silverado crew cab but here goes . I was going down a steep hill and put the brakes on enough to slow to road conditions , when i left off the brakes maybe 2 seconds bang on the brakes went and up against the seat belts i went , I was shocked to say the least ! I was NOT pulling a trailor or anything just driving my truck . This happened another time I was driving up I 77 at Canton Ohio and some one cut in front of me and I tapped the brakes , about 2 seconds later the brakes came on again but not real hard. I have had my truck in 3 times for the vibration problem and the first time the dealer Chuck Nicholson more or less refused to do any thing , said I had to pay to get tires balanced [ only cost about $52.00 ] and tough luck . I stopped back in and complained again and they said they could put on the vibration machine and if they do not find anything I have to pay for it .

I took my truck to dealer that I got it from and they worked on it about 2 hours , said tires were complete wrong [ not balance worth a dam ] truck shake now at higher speed and sounds like a truck with a flat spot on the tire , goes thump thump thump at high speed , just put one of the back windows down and put on your ear protection

We live in the same town..

even though we are talking about a minute percentage of total produced vehicles having this issue.

But you own 3 and 1 of the 3 vibrate, correct me if wrong but isn't that 33.3% ?

And every single one that I have driven has had this issue to some degree. And i've driven more than a few.

But I am thrilled that there actually seems to be some progress being made right here in this trainwreck of a thread. There are axle / shaft imbalance issues that are being transmitted to the cab by way of an extremely stiff frame and suspect mounts.

I know if I still owned one I'd be ordering those shafts from Yukon and having by drive shaft trued.

• Like 1

I had planned on taking some measurements of the ring gear and report my findings but you all have fun with it I'm done with this thread!

RT

I echo your sentiments. Message me you're findings. I'll let you know how the driveshaft goes but I suspect I'll have to machine my axles or replace them as well.

And moving on... let's try and keep this on track guys, I'm tired of having to clean up the nonsense in here. I deleted multiple people's posts, as it was just chit chat in an already extremely long thread. Play nice or I'll be deleting more if it comes up again and start handing out points

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

lol, haha yea I got the Platinum SHO 24".... best power to size ratio in the market, I love it.... although I probably would have gotten a High end Honda or Simplicity if I could have afforded it. The old John Deere throwers are amazing too, and they last forever. I love the Ford too, sorry to disappoint.

Well I forgive you on the ford stuff. I had a Deluxe 28 SHO for last year/early this year. It was a fine machine. I'll be going the route of Platinum 24 SHO myself for my next blower. The 28 inch was too much for what I needed at this house, the 24 will be perfect. I also restore and resell old JD blowers myself, usually the 826s and 1032s. I'm thinking of maybe manufacturing skid plates for the old JDs on the side- as they are becoming harder to come by on EBAY and other places. I think paying $60.00+ for new ones is a bit silly. We'll see though.