Another major thing difference on this generation is the cab/box mounts. They are so called "shear-mount". They have an internal metal-metal arrangement to limit the horizontal movements. I suspect it's all about getting "body-on-frame" vehicles up to the crash testing levels of unibody vehicles. Question is, how do these mounts affect vibration transmissibility....my guess, way more than the engineers counted on. It may take a generation or two for them to sort this out, and get back to the ride and comfort quality of the previous generation plus the increased crash-worthilness they crave to keep their sales up. Personally, a 6500lb truck has enough inherent crashworthiness against a Honda Civic that I really don't care what the NTSHA says, but oops, I didn't say that out loud, did I?

This is a much more obvious place of suspect? The "Shear-Mounts" The Frame is no doubt suspect #1 It's just way to stiff and resonating like a ****ing KAZOO! All Tubular now sides and connecting members from front to back? Just echo-Chamber madness read that guy who posted CHEVROLET'S write up on the new Silverado for 2014 he posted the link.......EVERYTHING IS STIFFER! EVERYTHING IS STIFFER get a half-ass axle and off goes the whole platform, how about a goofy drive shaft? Maybe some gay tires.....It should be pretty obvious now that many things are throwing these trucks into Vibe Frenzy's probably all related to the ungodly stiff, resonating architecture! Obviously every truck has the frame so no way GM could afford to replace the frames. At current production this problem probably exhibits 1% maybe 2% and in all quality control Jobs I ever was responsible for in large or small settings NOBODY does anything until 2% is a continued pattern of non-conformance. To make it worse people are not dying or being injured from this so they "GM" will manage the damage as best they can.........until next run of Body on Frame trucks/SUV'S

Hopefully everybody can shoot enough ideas around so when it comes your turn in the bouncy seat you will Know where to go looking for your golden egg or maybe two?

Low quality control on the behalf of AAM, which manufactures everything from the transmission back to the brakes, and you want to blame the frame being too stiff.

I've had a 2014 and now have 2 2015's and out of the three only one is an issue. It's not due to frame stiffness.

Man this vibration thing is like a virus it just keeps spreading. I had a fella tell me the other day that his truck had a vibration when sitting still in his driveway with the engine turned off!

• Like 1

Low quality control on the behalf of AAM, which manufactures everything from the transmission back to the brakes, and you want to blame the frame being too stiff.

I've had a 2014 and now have 2 2015's and out of the three only one is an issue. It's not due to frame stiffness.

Keep believing yourself and OlSoftail........If it was a single component that could easily be replaced you already would have been addressed.

Keep believing yourself and OlSoftail........If it was a single component that could easily be replaced you already would have been addressed.

One of two solutions have fixed this for the people who are willing to actually do something and it relates either to the axle shafts or the drive shaft. Either being out of tolerance. Both manufactured by AAM.

There has been absolutely nothing to show the frame has anything to do with this. I suggest you come back when you have something of value to contribute. We're dealing with facts while you're dealing with conjecture. You want to come in here and argue with the people who have solved this problem, well, you're wasting you're breath and passing on false information to people who might be interested in finding a solution instead of hearing about your wrong opinion.

• Like 1

MRW412 replaced his stock axles with yukon axles not me, I think my post might have looked like i did. They are a direct swap though. I turned mine down on my lathe and got em trued up nice.

RT

It looked pretty crude as far as machining goes but yes the very outer edge was raw forged on one side.

RT

RT, did you measure the TIR before you machined them? If so, on the vehicle or in the lathe? On the flange OD? Did you measure runout anywhere else....stud circle, hub fit OD, flange face, middle of axle span, etc. Would love to know.

I've never had a GM rear end apart...how much to pulling those axles out? I might pull mine. My dealer says they checked everything but of course, they likely looked at them and said "yep, it has axles. It's OK"! Not that I don't trust them, but....well, I don't. Every time I get the vehicle back, I check the wheel nuts and every one of them is loose. I am convinced they either don't know how to operate a torque wrench properly or they use those stupid torque-extensions.

RT, did you measure the TIR before you machined them? If so, on the vehicle or in the lathe? On the flange OD? Did you measure runout anywhere else....stud circle, hub fit OD, flange face, middle of axle span, etc. Would love to know.

I've never had a GM rear end apart...how much to pulling those axles out? I might pull mine. My dealer says they checked everything but of course, they likely looked at them and said "yep, it has axles. It's OK"! Not that I don't trust them, but....well, I don't. Every time I get the vehicle back, I check the wheel nuts and every one of them is loose. I am convinced they either don't know how to operate a torque wrench properly or they use those stupid torque-extensions.

Wheels off, unbolt the calipers, drain and drop the diff cover, unbolt the carrier center pin, pull the C-clips off the axles and the axles pull right out, you'll need someone to push in on the axles to get to the clips out, and a magnet helps. Very easy. Check your carrier preload while you're in there. Have shims ready. Edited by Darth_Vader

Already made one emergency trip to the vets in it and hope I don't have to make another. It is getting close to 2 feet out there. My boy Oz is having some issues recovering from a recent surgery.

Sorry to hear that Bill, hope Oz is ok. We ended up with 18" here, took about 3.5 hours to clear everything this morning with my Ariens snowthrower. I was out in it yesterday afternoon when I went to sell a set of wheels I had for the old Chevy. Got a cool $1,100 for the set lol. You know the small hill between the Weymouth and Derby st. exits on Rt 3 South? I was going up that no problem, looking out the window laughing at all the poor b@stards spinning their tires unable to move and the couple that were sliding slightly backwards. It was a blast.

I do not know if this has to do with the vibration issues in my 2015 silverado crew cab but here goes . I was going down a steep hill and put the brakes on enough to slow to road conditions , when i left off the brakes maybe 2 seconds bang on the brakes went and up against the seat belts i went , I was shocked to say the least ! I was NOT pulling a trailor or anything just driving my truck . This happened another time I was driving up I 77 at Canton Ohio and some one cut in front of me and I tapped the brakes , about 2 seconds later the brakes came on again but not real hard. I have had my truck in 3 times for the vibration problem and the first time the dealer Chuck Nicholson more or less refused to do any thing , said I had to pay to get tires balanced [ only cost about $52.00 ] and tough luck . I stopped back in and complained again and they said they could put on the vibration machine and if they do not find anything I have to pay for it .

I took my truck to dealer that I got it from and they worked on it about 2 hours , said tires were complete wrong [ not balance worth a dam ] truck shake now at higher speed and sounds like a truck with a flat spot on the tire , goes thump thump thump at high speed , just put one of the back windows down and put on your ear protection

Post #10440

RT

Don't suppose you happened to record the readings you got, did you? Just curious.

Also, how exactly did you check the bolt circle? Obviously can't run the dial indicator on the studs....

Last question....when you had the axles out and reinstalled them, did you make any other adjustments?

Edited by Wrench589

Naah was just going to compliment you on your choice of snowblower. You made a poor decision when you went to Ford, but was going to give you kudos for getting an Ariens. However- Trying to stay more "on-topic" this year :P

• Like 1