Wow, this thread is coming up on 700 pages. Surely this is a forum record? If so, rdnckhntr94, as our beloved moderator, shouldn't you commemorate this milestone is some fashion :) ?

Nah, if it reaches 1000+ pages we'll have an imaginary pizza party lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Has anyone actually jacked up the rear and run it and seen/heard/gauged this so called warped axle flange?

They are not warped, They are out of round, mine have a good 1/8" of run out. Sottail turned a few and knocked off 18 grams each which is about .65 oz. Yukon axles seems to have solved the problem for one guy so far but that's a more expensive fix than having them turned.

And anytime someone says theirs is fixed you have to wait 4 to 12 days to see if it stays that way, depending on how many miles they drive. I fell victim to the "fixed not fixed" more than one myself.

Edited by C6Bill

And anytime someone says theirs is fixed you have to wait 4 to 12 days to see if it stays that way, depending on how many miles they drive. I fell victim to the "fixed not fixed" more than one myself.

Mine is doing great and smooth as glass. New asphalt, ground interstate which is super smooth. even though mine is fixed I am still going to pull diff cover and measure Ring gear O.D. for kicks.

RT

I hate the snow, but the Sequoia does great in it. Thing is as big as and weighs as much as a tank and has the MPG to prove it LOL

And SB, I'll be back in Westlake next month, I'll be there for three days and will get to Babes at least twice if not 3 times :)

• Like 1

They are not warped, They are out of round, mine have a good 1/8" of run out. Sottail turned a few and knocked off 18 grams each which is about .65 oz. Yukon axles seems to have solved the problem for one guy so far but that's a more expensive fix than having them turned.

I was getting to ask if anyone has taken them to a machine shop and have them turned. I have a lathe but unfortunately it inst large enough to fit an axle through.

You make a good point. If it is the axle flange TIR, it would be present immediately, and always there. It would go away for a while, then come back.

Moreover, it would be present at all speeds, just at a different amplitude - the faster the speed, the greater the amplitude. In fact, the amplitude would go upswing the square of the rpm. I can't come up with a scenario that any mechanical "defect" would come and go as most people have observed, other than the coupling effects between the right and left side of the vehicle. When the unbalance is in phase, it adds t each other. When out if phase, they cancel. And the right and left side wheel/ties will change phasing as you go around corners. Still, enough to account for the observations? Hard to say.

I think the more plausible situation is that there is an inherent natural frequency in the vehicle that is excited by many things - out of balance driveshafts, out f balance wheels/tires, excessive road force in the tires, even unbalance in the axles. You can't get rid of all those possible excitation forces completely, as it's not feasible to perfectly balance something. But if they are low enough, the natural frequency is not excited. Until the tires wear a bit.

Of course, pure conjecture on my part! :)

Well, its not pure conjecture because everything you said crossed my mind as well. I've started researching the frame and other components with regards to the previous generation. The frame, front suspension, fuel tank is a direct carry over from the previous generation that didn't have this issue. So, whats new for this generation and that is... engine, transmission, driveshaft(nnbs was steel) now they are aluminum and the rear diffs are made by a different company. So, thats where Im at with this.

Mine is doing great and smooth as glass. New asphalt, ground interstate which is super smooth. even though mine is fixed I am still going to pull diff cover and measure Ring gear O.D. for kicks.

RT

Was the axle flange the only thing you had to turn? I have an old Colchester I could do the work on, just not much of a machinist. But willing to try anything once.

I was getting to ask if anyone has taken them to a machine shop and have them turned. I have a lathe but unfortunately it inst large enough to fit an axle through.

I turned my own.

RT

Was the axle flange the only thing you had to turn? I have an old Colchester I could do the work on, just not much of a machinist. But willing to try anything once.

Yep... I checked bearing surface, center hub, bolt pattern, only outer edge of flange is what i turned.

RT

Well, its not pure conjecture because everything you said crossed my mind as well. I've started researching the frame and other components with regards to the previous generation. The frame, front suspension, fuel tank is a direct carry over from the previous generation that didn't have this issue. So, whats new for this generation and that is... engine, transmission, driveshaft(nnbs was steel) now they are aluminum and the rear diffs are made by a different company. So, thats where Im at with this.

Another major thing difference on this generation is the cab/box mounts. They are so called "shear-mount". They have an internal metal-metal arrangement to limit the horizontal movements. I suspect it's all about getting "body-on-frame" vehicles up to the crash testing levels of unibody vehicles. Question is, how do these mounts affect vibration transmissibility....my guess, way more than the engineers counted on. It may take a generation or two for them to sort this out, and get back to the ride and comfort quality of the previous generation plus the increased crash-worthilness they crave to keep their sales up. Personally, a 6500lb truck has enough inherent crashworthiness against a Honda Civic that I really don't care what the NTSHA says, but oops, I didn't say that out loud, did I?

How many miles did it take for yours to start shaking again? Whenever I had my driveshaft rebalanced, I thought it was fixed but after about a week of driving it started again. It's been 20 days and almost 800 miles since replacing the axles and the truck has been shake free since. I'm paranoid about it but the truck has never been smoother

Edited by MRW412
  • Like 2

There have been approximately 10,440 replies to this thread, and I have been watching very closely for a fix. I have been to the dealer multiple times, and they have been unwilling to assess the vibration issue beyond balancing the tires. I have hated driving this truck knowing the issue that is present. After 4x 20+ hour trips between TX and KY with vibration the entire way at cruising speed I have finally found the fix for this truck. I bought a RAM 1500 today, took a little swim, and I have never been happier with driving my personal truck. I recommend to all.

• Like 3