My dealer made many dimes from me.They want me to trade every time I take it back in.Let!s see, two trucks times ten equals way too many visits. Know all their names. Who's to blame? Looked at Rams yesterday but my low mileage trucks are not worth anything. Sad!

My '14 GMC isn't that bad and very intermittent, but I did go at the axle flanges over the weekend. They weren't that far off. I also noticed that both rims were gouged on the inside by slamming them on the studs during install(s). I ground down the high side of these gouges on the inside of the rims to make sure they mated to the flanges as perfectly as I could get them.

I first thought the work I did wouldn't be noticeable. Those flanges are hardly a precise piece of metal (thickness and diameter) and I forgot how heavy the rim/tire are. A few grams of removed material is going to be noticeable?? After driving the truck this morning, my time and effort were worth it.

Cold mornings after the truck has been sitting a few days brings out the worst of it for the first 10 minutes of driving and those are the conditions I had this morning. The first 10 minutes the vibes were barely noticeable, and it was perfectly smooth after that.

If vibes come back, I'll see if swapping the spare tire with each of the rear wheels changes anything. Also thought about indexing each rear tire on the studs to see if that changes anything.

'14 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4X2, stock suspension, stock 20" rims and 305/50/20 Nitto G2's. Road forced by dealership (bad) and 2 different Discount Tires when I bought the tires 3k miles ago. I think the tires/rims are as balanced as they can be.

@Colossal

I can blame the dealers for not wanting to do anything further, they are the ones selling these trucks and they know this issue is out there. Has anyone had a dealer tell them about this vibration issue BEFORE they bought one of these 50 thousand dollar trucks ?

Don't bother, I already know the answer to that one.

Edited by C6Bill
  • Like 1

Yeah man anytime.... I do like challenges and this has been a good one. I really think we are close to getting it figured out. The only thing is I would suggest to others is to NOT take it to the Dealer because they don't have a clue and seem to not wanna go deeper than the service manual tells them to. But hey some guys don't feel that they should have to find a problem that GM created. Other guys just aren't that mechanically inclined. I just don't appreciate someone coming in here talkin shit and has no skin in the game!

RT

There you have folks.....Do NOT take your under warranty 40K+ pickem truck that vibrates to the dealer! Yup, just like OL Softail has stated about myself "Not providing anything useful" now, there is some useful information he proclaims...

You got her all figured out bud....I will take my GMC to your garage when it starts to Vibrate, Ok?

Edited by mookdoc6

It sure could.

MRW412

Here's an update on my truck since it has been 2 weeks since I installed Yukon Gear rear axles. The truck has been shake free since installing them. I have driven on multiple smooth highways at 70+ mph and no shaking.

That is awesome.... I really think we are narrowing this vibe down!

RT

Glad to hear you had luck with the Yukon axles. I've got my new aluminium driveshaft coming next week. Needed a cut down and a rebalance anyways so decided to get a 4" made. If the vibration still remains afterwards I'm tossing the axles in as that'll be the only rotating part after the tranny I haven't replaced.

Be prepared to reshim that carrier, the preload on mine was completely non-existent.

What drive line angles did you finish with, RT?

Edited by Darth_Vader

If my dealer was willing to fix it or at least try something other than tires/wheels then I would be more than happy to take it to them. After 7 visits (several weeks without my truck) they haven't offered/agreed to do anything else.

I was going to order new axles but finally found a place about an hour away that sells/installs Yukon axles so they ordered them and I will get my replaced Monday. Will cost me $700 which is nothing if it fixes the problem.

This is my last try at fixing it as I have test drove a few new F150's, Titans and Tundras this past weekend and they all drove really nice. I actually kept the Titan overnight, Nissan did well with the upgrade in my opinion.

If my dealer was willing to fix it or at least try something other than tires/wheels then I would be more than happy to take it to them. After 7 visits (several weeks without my truck) they haven't offered/agreed to do anything else.

I was going to order new axles but finally found a place about an hour away that sells/installs Yukon axles so they ordered them and I will get my replaced Monday. Will cost me $700 which is nothing if it fixes the problem.

This is my last try at fixing it as I have test drove a few new F150's, Titans and Tundras this past weekend and they all drove really nice. I actually kept the Titan overnight, Nissan did well with the upgrade in my opinion.

The Titans are starting to grow on me to be completely honest, but if I were to trade in I'd have to get an HD truck, I do too much towing as it is lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

@Colossal

I can blame the dealers for not wanting to do anything further, they are the ones selling these trucks and they know this issue is out there. Has anyone had a dealer tell them about this vibration issue BEFORE they bought one of these 50 thousand dollar trucks ?

Don't bother, I already know the answer to that one.

So.. they should just simply close up doors and stop selling trucks because maybe 1 out every 500 or 1000 trucks or so has a vibration issue that the owner notices like yours that is not their fault and to which they cannot repair? Hmmmm.

The Titans are starting to grow on me to be completely honest, but if I were to trade in I'd have to get an HD truck, I do too much towing as it is lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I agree, but I didn't even bother test driving as I refuse to buy anything in its first production run.... Haven't read much good about them though either.

So.. they should just simply close up doors and stop selling trucks because maybe 1 out every 500 or 1000 trucks or so has a vibration issue that the owner notices like yours that is not their fault and to which they cannot repair? Hmmmm.

It may not be their fault. But it's their problem.

If you bought a TV and it had lines in the picture, You would expect to either get it fixed or a new TV that does not have lines.

Same concepts. But with a much higher price tag. Some of these trucks are faulty and should be treated as such. But no they are giving out every excuse to not do anything about them. If it were really 1 out of 500 them it would be almost no skin off their back to trade the faulty Truck with one that isnt faulty. They just don't want to accept responsibility for their mistake.

I like many others spent $50k for these trucks and we are treated like we are criminals looking for hand outs from the dealer. We just want what we paid for.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Or maybe it is 499 out of 500 or 999 out of 1000. Maybe they should start putting warning labels on them like cigarettes or prescription drugs. They are knowingly selling a defective product, you may not have an issue with that but I do.

But I don't really think we need to worry about that as they have managed this company into the ground before and they will do it again. The next time I don't think there will be a bail out.

• Like 1