After reading about the ring gear fix, wonder if they were cut right to begin with, not runout but actual tooth to tooth contact? Maybe not hardened correctly, some softer spots?

Interesting topic to follow...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Doubt it....Probably more of Diameter issue than anything. Bad axles from manufacture probably I get that they make 100,000+ a month of axles so yeah your gonna get a some bad ones........18 grams of "more material on this hub vs the other" seriously what a stool.......I have had 6lbs of cacked/hardend caliche AZ mud fused on my suspension one side vs the other and never a problem does that make sense Softail? I will go back to puffing....

Could you give more specifics about your symptoms? Describe the vibration and location in the cab? Was it more noticeable in the steering wheel or seats or just a vibration throughout the truck in general?

I had the 70+ mph shake/shimmy. It was the worst at 82 mph and on smooth roads. It felt like an out of round or out of balance rear tire but we all know it isn't the tires. It could be felt the in the center console, floor boards, and seats. I never felt it in the steering wheel. It was basically the same symptoms as all the YouTube videos. I really wish I would have taken a video before swapping axles

• Like 1

After reading about the ring gear fix, wonder if they were cut right to begin with, not runout but actual tooth to tooth contact? Maybe not hardened correctly, some softer spots?

Interesting topic to follow...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

AAM poorly manufactures this stuff down in Mexico so it really would not surprise me one bit. When the weather clears I will pull the diff cover off and check the outer Diameter to see if it's out any. I think if the gears were cut off they wouldn't be able to set them up correctly, now softer gears I have seen being not treated correct as many axles as I have set up I have just about seen it all especially with this current junk.

RT

Doubt it....Probably more of Diameter issue than anything. Bad axles from manufacture probably I get that they make 100,000+ a month of axles so yeah your gonna get a some bad ones........18 grams of "more material on this hub vs the other" seriously what a stool.......I have had 6lbs of cacked/hardend caliche AZ mud fused on my suspension one side vs the other and never a problem does that make sense Softail? I will go back to puffing....

Go pull 1/2 oz of weight off of your balanced wheels and tires and see if it wont vibrate! Or maybe you haven't watched the axle video if not you need to watch it to see what we are discussing.

RT

Edited by 07Softail

I had the 70+ mph shake/shimmy. It was the worst at 82 mph and on smooth roads. It felt like an out of round or out of balance rear tire but we all know it isn't the tires. It could be felt the in the center console, floor boards, and seats. I never felt it in the steering wheel. It was basically the same symptoms as all the YouTube videos. I really wish I would have taken a video before swapping axles

I have symptoms at the same speeds but for me the steering wheel is the worst. Center console and seats are not where as bad as the steering wheel. Maybe my front axels are bad?

..............It could be felt the in the center console, floor boards, and seats. I never felt it in the steering wheel. It was basically the same symptoms as all the YouTube videos. I really wish I would have taken a video before swapping axles

That sounds like driveline to me.

Hey guys/gals, wow 693 pages my heads spinning, just took my truck to the dealership to have them address vibration i have while decelerating between 3rd and second gear. technician said he noticed it but theres not enough there to diagnose the problem(he doesn't drive it every day, believe me its noticeable). I also have severe shaking over 70mph, center console, seats I can hear it in the voices of people in the truck that are talking! When I first took it in over a year ago they said it was my "off road" tires, I rolled my eyes and walked away. I have since replaced those tires and nothing has changed. I am about to pen a lengthy email to the service manager at the dealership but after reading this thread Im wondering if its even worth it. Based on my my symptoms where do you think I should start?

Hey guys/gals, wow 693 pages my heads spinning, just took my truck to the dealership to have them address vibration i have while decelerating between 3rd and second gear. technician said he noticed it but theres not enough there to diagnose the problem(he doesn't drive it every day, believe me its noticeable). I also have severe shaking over 70mph, center console, seats I can hear it in the voices of people in the truck that are talking! When I first took it in over a year ago they said it was my "off road" tires, I rolled my eyes and walked away. I have since replaced those tires and nothing has changed. I am about to pen a lengthy email to the service manager at the dealership but after reading this thread Im wondering if its even worth it. Based on my my symptoms where do you think I should start?

Chevy is trying to minimize their exposure on this, my suggestion would be to bring it back repeatedly and not let them off the hook until it is repaired. They are fighting buy backs at this point because the more trucks they buy back the bigger the problem is that they have to acknowledge and they have one most of them in arbitration. Their claim is that it is excluded from the warranty as it is a minor in normal vibration that occurs in trucks typically. The more visits and complaints that you can document the bed of your case but if you look through the thread which may take you days you will see that while some repairs have made it better there is not anyone fix that anyone can point to that completely fixes the problem, some fix the problem for a short period while others don't fix it at all. The key is to make sure that it is going back in for the same problem and at some point you want to find out who the General Motors zone manager is and start going up the food chain a little bit with your complaints but I understand they will fight it all the way. My brothers dealership had a GM engineer on site with a truck for a week trying to figure out the problem and they came to no conclusion in terms of what the cause was, they really don't know what it is so they are just throwing parts at this, tires, driveshafts, wheels, rear ends etc.

Good luck, based on everything I had read I would say take your losses and jump into another brand or by an older product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy is trying to minimize their exposure on this, my suggestion would be to bring it back repeatedly and not let them off the hook until it is repaired. They are fighting buy backs at this point because the more trucks they buy back the bigger the problem is that they have to acknowledge and they have one most of them in arbitration. Their claim is that it is excluded from the warranty as it is a minor in normal vibration that occurs in trucks typically. The more visits and complaints that you can document the bed of your case but if you look through the thread which may take you days you will see that while some repairs have made it better there is not anyone fix that anyone can point to that completely fixes the problem, some fix the problem for a short period while others don't fix it at all. The key is to make sure that it is going back in for the same problem and at some point you want to find out who the General Motors zone manager is and start going up the food chain a little bit with your complaints but I understand they will fight it all the way. My brothers dealership had a GM engineer on site with a truck for a week trying to figure out the problem and they came to no conclusion in terms of what the cause was, they really don't know what it is so they are just throwing parts at this, tires, driveshafts, wheels, rear ends etc.

Good luck, based on everything I had read I would say take your losses and jump into another brand or by an older product

Yup, I hear ya, I've had 5 Silverados and never had ANY problems until this one, I have a laundry list of things starting from literally the day I took it home .

-PCM replaced(threw a code before delivery)

-Heater core replaced (leaking coolant)

-exhaust flapper making noise(new exhaust installed)

-drivers seat shifting while taking corners(fixed once, brought it back after it started again, was told its a defect cant be fixed)

-vibrations at various speeds(next to nothing done about it)

sigh.....

At 100-118 a little shimmy and up around 140 it was a pretty good vibration but after cutting the axles it's damn near perfect. The driveshaft truing fixed 96% of it. Sorry for getting pissy with the Pot smoker but I'm not taking this subject lightly, and further more someone questioning my competency as a 30 year Machinist kinda set me off a bit. As I stated in C6Bills post I will be checking the ring gear runout not that mine needs any more tweaking if it's off I will clean it up and if not i'm satisfied. Just trying to help everyone out guys.

RT

Never questioned or commented about your astute 30yr Machinist Prowess sorry If I offended ya bud! It's just that I could care less about 18 grams on this hub vs the other and most likely any GM Engineer wouldn't really care either other than acknowledging that a little more than acceptable. So you have bad axles? Wow, I am sure many do and most likely the cause of many peoples griefs.....I am sure GM knows this which is why most axles are inherently going to be off/flex and so forth considering the length to hub and stresses from Gearing/Rims......Not rocket science stuff here folks! Yup they be flexing hence the 3lbs of weights everywhere GM can place those strips of weights and welded/tacked on too I have seen.

You proclaimed that you signed the "Treaty of Versailles" Big F'N deal buy new Axles from Yukon put em in and run em? Might work for you and not the other guy because his Crappy Casted Aluminum wheel is "His" problem and "His" axles actually happen to be just fine with 8grams here and minimal flex from wheel to gear? Wow, Novel shit going on here bro! Hence is why GM has steps to go through with certain components to find the vibration causing gremlins..................And yeah if I were to remove one of the stupid 13 wheel weights on my Crappy Chrome Cladded 20" rim might cause me problems might not? Don't care cause I could strip all the weights off take to a shop have the best tire guy in AZ balance the rims and his weights would go in completely different locations than the previous balance job? More "Novel Shit going on here"......

Never questioned or commented about your astute 30yr Machinist Prowess sorry If I offended ya bud! It's just that I could care less about 18 grams on this hub vs the other and most likely any GM Engineer wouldn't really care either other than acknowledging that a little more than acceptable. So you have bad axles? Wow, I am sure many do and most likely the cause of many peoples griefs.....I am sure GM knows this which is why most axles are inherently going to be off/flex and so forth considering the length to hub and stresses from Gearing/Rims......Not rocket science stuff here folks! Yup they be flexing hence the 3lbs of weights everywhere GM can place those strips of weights and welded/tacked on too I have seen.

You proclaimed that you signed the "Treaty of Versailles" Big F'N deal buy new Axles from Yukon put em in and run em? Might work for you and not the other guy because his Crappy Casted Aluminum wheel is "His" problem and "His" axles actually happen to be just fine with 8grams here and minimal flex from wheel to gear? Wow, Novel shit going on here bro! Hence is why GM has steps to go through with certain components to find the vibration causing gremlins..................And yeah if I were to remove one of the stupid 13 wheel weights on my Crappy Chrome Cladded 20" rim might cause me problems might not? Don't care cause I could strip all the weights off take to a shop have the best tire guy in AZ balance the rims and his weights would go in completely different locations than the previous balance job? More "Novel Shit going on here"......

lets turn the main down a tad, ok skidrow? haha

Novel shit going on! Your comical too...you just have no idea what's going on plain and simple. I go on fact and not theory grasshopper so go play with your TONKA toys and let the Big Boys figure this out since you have no real info or solutions to the fix.

RT

Edited by 07Softail

Novel shit going on! Your comical too...you just have no idea what's going on plain and simple. I go on fact and not theory grasshopper so go play with your TONKA toys and let the Big Boys figure this out since you have no real info or solutions to the fix.

RT

RT

I do appreciate the level of detail and effort you have put in and sharing the information, every little bit helps and unfortunately some people don't understand the value of a person's knowledge that actually creates shit out of nothing. keep it coming

• Like 1

Yeah man anytime.... I do like challenges and this has been a good one. I really think we are close to getting it figured out. The only thing is I would suggest to others is to NOT take it to the Dealer because they don't have a clue and seem to not wanna go deeper than the service manual tells them to. But hey some guys don't feel that they should have to find a problem that GM created. Other guys just aren't that mechanically inclined. I just don't appreciate someone coming in here talkin shit and has no skin in the game!

RT

Edited by 07Softail
  • Like 1

In the dealerships defense, they are doing everything GM has recommended they do. When there is nothing else GM can recommend, the dealer is then on their own dime to try to figure the issue out, and that costs $$$ that the dealer won't get reimbursed by GM. So I can't blame them for not wanting to do anything further.

• Like 1