My company has four 2011 silverados all of them over 100k . And all vibrate and shake . One has we have put 4 tires two different times / shocks and struts / u-jointes balanced drive shaft and now a transmission no fix .Dealership keep saying we don't know . I have read some one else on here say the dealer say farm beaming . As a former mechanic that is the biggest pile of sh&t I have ever heard . That is a full box frame and if that even plausible then you have a defect !!!! I'm looking at the spring bushing and a frame mounts are needing to replaced . Not sure that will be the fix. We have other trucks not GM and had 300k that's had brakes, tires, and didn't vibrate !!!!

Ummm OK....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

From what I have learned about the Ford 3.5L is that the problems did exist, probably just like this batch of Silvers, in the beginning. Especially with the miosture like with Snarkee stated but I made sure to speak with people in high miosture areas that are driving Eco's now from the 2013 batch and they say it running fnatastic.

All vehciles have the potential for problems, I agree 100%. My goal is walk in with my eyes wide open and try not to become one of those consumers with buyers remorse. I plan on holding on to this truck for about 10-15 years so reliability is number. After that comes fuel consumption and that is why I am shying away from the 5.0L but do like the the thought of the Silverado at 17 in city.

Talked to my buddy, who is the salesman at the dealership, and he has been asking around at the delaership and reading about the issue here online. He is getting the never heard of this story. I should say that the model I test drove never vibrated even when I punched it and drove it at or above 65 mph on the freeway. Matter of fact the ride was one of the smoothest I have felt in a truck, even better than the ford.

If you go the Ford route, get a 5.0 liter naturally aspirated V8. Ecoboost is just too complicated and too new to be reliable.

I would agree. This Silverado Z71Double Cab of mine has been very disappointing to say the least. And since the ECM flash to richen the fuel mixture, my mileage has suffered. My '99 with 273k gets about the same mileage, no AFM and no vibration.. Wait for the new aluminum body Ford with the V8, or check out the new 2015 8 speed Silverado coming this fall (?). Also I might add to stay away from the 3.08 gears, runs like a pooch.

Local stealership advised to have the tires road force balanced and the tires must be below 15#. This is not the GMC dealership I bought it from but a contact at a local Chevy Dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Local stealership advised to have the tires road force balanced and the tires must be below 15#. This is not the GMC dealership I bought it from but a contact at a local Chevy Dealership. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the new spec for GM since they were having so many issues with the Goodyears. The spec as of this past year was 24# and they have dropped it to 15# as you have heard. It should help with any tire issues, but most of the vibration people are experiencing on this forum is not coming from such a simple fix as tires, unfortunately.

Got mine back today after another 5 days in the shop and 2 more new tires. Same old vibration. Been in the shop 3 times and I bought it on march 17th! Calling gm rep again and probably the BBB

Got mine back today after another 5 days in the shop and 2 more new tires. Same old vibration. Been in the shop 3 times and I bought it on march 17th! Calling gm rep again and probably the BBB Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

What on earth were they doing with it for 5 days?

Got mine back today after another 5 days in the shop and 2 more new tires. Same old vibration. Been in the shop 3 times and I bought it on march 17th! Calling gm rep again and probably the BBB Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

What on earth were they doing with it for 5 days?

"Ordering tires". Dealer is calling GM to try to swap out to a different truck

"Ordering tires". Dealer is calling GM to try to swap out to a different truck Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I wish you luck. Going through all this must be frustrating, especially while making a hefty payment on your new truck.

"Ordering tires". Dealer is calling GM to try to swap out to a different truck Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I wish you luck. Going through all this must be frustrating, especially while making a hefty payment on your new truck.

Thanks man. I hope it gets straightened out. I've had 6 silverados over the years but after this I'll have to look at something else

At least your dealership is trying something. Only thing I get is the GM engineers are working on it and when they find a fix we will fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not the dealership I bought it from. They told me there isn't anything we can do. I know it's a pita

So I think my issues are solved. I have an outstanding dealer that I bought the truck from and I made a call and let them know how unhappy I was with the truck over all not just the vibration. Told him about my frame wax peeling and the frame rusting, seat wear and movement even after 3 trips for repair from my local dealer (not the dealer I bought it from). He asked if I wanted to trade it out and I told him I wouldn't touch another GM. They had a 13 f150 on the lot I was thinking if trading to so I wanted to see what my truck with 13000 miles was worth, I figured not much. The sales manager is a outstanding guy and gave me 35000,00 trade and I bought it for 40,300 10 months ago and they now have nicer equipped new trucks on the lot for 38,900.00 so felt good about my trade value, honestly I was expecting 29,000. I never even looked at the f150 but decided to buy a loaded SLT and so far, fingers and toes crossed it seems so much better. Ride is still a bit stiffer then I would like but it has the stiff Rancho shocks but somehow it doesn't seem as stiff, even being new as my silverado was. Vibration wise the spots that my truck always seemed to act up seemed smooth. I think these trucks have a different feel to them, I have drove total of 4 now, there so quiet that it feels like your in a very high end car so you feel like it it should ride like it's siting still but it's still a truck and the roads have imperfections. I'm not denying these trucks can have a vibration that's not normal and GM needs to find a fix them but as of now I think I've got a good one.

I haven't read through all of 70 pages of this thread but ill share what's going on with mine.

I have a 2014 gmc z71 4x4 slt short box. At this point I have around 13000 miles. Over time ive been getting more and more unhappy with the ride. It seemed louder inside the cab with a slight vibration I could feel through the pedal when accelerating and through the seat and slight rattles inside the cab started to develop.

I brought it in to the dealer and had all 4 tires rebalanced. They found one tire was slightly out of balance and I went on my way thinking I've found the problem. Well the same issues were still there, I wasn't sure if it was just typical issues that develop as the truck was getting used or just in my head. Other things I started to notice when its wet my rear leaf springs or something in the rear started squeaking like an old mattress when going over bumps at slow speeds, backing out of the driveway etc. I had an oil change coming up soon so I was waiting to bring it up when I brought it in for that.

The a few days ago I had a right rear blowout on the interstate, nothing punctured the tire, there was just a tear in the sidewall. I brought it to the dealer at this point to gt a tire and explained all the other issues afraid they would just say it all was normal and send me on my way with a vibrating squeaky rattling truck I would just have to live with.

Well it wasn't the case, the techs noticed the vibration and said in no way is the noise in the cab or vibration normal. They said they have had a few others that the problem was in the driveshaft and swapping it out fixed the problem. So they took a driveshaft of another truck on the lot and swapped mine, didn't fix the problem. Gm said they have a redesigned driveshaft b/c of these problems and possibly the one on the lot was the old design. They ordered the new driveshaft design swapped mine and it didn't fix the problem.

They told me a tech recently came back from training, and there was a case talked about at another dealership where the entire rear end of the truck had to be replaced to fix a vibration problem. Axel, differential driveshaft, etc. basically everything between the rear tires. Apparently something in rear end was out of tolerance.

That's where I am at now. They are ordering me a complete rear end assembly. Hopefully it will be in next week and will fix the problems, if not I don't know what will happen.

Edited by Aboothlsu

A tire blowout can be very hazardous. I had one on my old '82 Pontiac Bonneville years ago. it was a cheap General tire, almost brand new, and it blew right through the sidewall without any apparent reason at 70 MPH. Fortunately it was a rear tire, but still I lost control of the car temporarily and it drifted across two lanes on I 95. I was lucky that nobody was next to me.

I have stayed away from cheap tires since that day and never experienced a similar blowout again.

It sounds like your dealership is replacing parts at random hoping one of them will fix your vibration problem. Not a good approach, with marginal probability of success. They should be able to inspect the rear end, measure gear backlash, take out the axle shafts and carefully inspect them for straightness, check the contact pattern on the gear teeth, check the axle bearings for proper installation and smoothness of rotation, etc. A drive shaft is also rather easy to inspect for any problems and it can be checked for maximum permissible lateral runout and proper balance on a special balancing machine.

Edited by pm26