Hey guys just a thought. Would it be possible to lift the truck up on a lift, all four wheels off the ground, bring the truck up to speed, get underneath the truck and try and see if anything sticks out as the source of vibration?

I have been mounting a camera in different places and capturing the ride to/from work everyday... So far nothing there sticks out to me as the source. i am going to pull the wheels off tomorrow and check the axles like the video that 07Softail posted.

Has anyone tried running a lower than normal air pressure? I've noticed most of us on here like to run higher tire pressures for loads, mpg's, stuff like that. Maybe if we run factory pressure or little lower than factory that'll smoothen the ride....

I have the opposite experience. I have tried everything from 26-42 and have had the least vibration, or at least feel in the cab, around 37-40. My tires call for 32-35.

Strangest thing... definitely a reminiscent vibration today at 45mph on highway. Once road surface changed, vibe went away. Speed stayed exact on cruise control. Felt... slower frequency... I honestly wonder if the frame and wheelbase and road contact all have something to do with it... but, I'm lifted 6" on 20" rims and 35" Nitto Exo Grapplers, I can live with some amount of a harsh ride, very stiff sidewall on those tires anyhow. For note, even switching to stock rims and tires did not fix my vibe. Only once the driveshaft get balanced with 3 weights near the rear did it ride smooth. Have had numerous folks drive and ride it, they day it rides like a Cadillac, Ill take that.

Also, about 8 standard pallets in the short bed did not improve the vibration on that particular stretch. Other stretches of road that used to do it, do not anymore. the tuning fork effect may have some merit.... harmonic vibration is real... but this is the truck I bought and I am finally happy with it

• Like 1

Not to burst your bubble but many have noticed a short term improvement after their truck has been up on a lift. I am sure they put your's up to pull the drive shaft. Then a few days later. as it settles, it starts to vibrate again. Hope that doesn't happen in your case but just be aware that it is not unheard of.

And no more Tundra for me, I decided to go SUV for awhile so I grabbed a 2017 Sequoia yesterday. I'll beep and wave as I drive by my old Chevy dealers tomorrow lol

Edited by C6Bill
  • Like 2

That's a helluva jump in gearing! Hahaa I bet it runs like a bat out of Hell now! How tall are your tires and what RPM's is it showing at 80 mph?

RT

I don't recall my rpm's at 80, but it should be around 2100. However at 70 mph, I am turning approximately 1876 rpm's running 34.3" tires. I can't believe I waited so long to regear the truck.

Not to burst your bubble but many have noticed a short term improvement after their truck has been up on a lift. I am sure they put your's up to pull the drive shaft. Then a few days later. as it settles, it starts to vibrate again. Hope that doesn't happen in your case but just be aware that it is not unheard of.

And no more Tundra for me, I decided to go SUV for awhile so I grabbed a 2017 Sequoia yesterday. I'll beep and wave as I drive by my old Chevy dealers tomorrow lol

Hello Bill, Let me know what you think about the Sequoia. Thinking about getting one for the wife to replace her Expedition. When ford went to the v6 in the new Expeditions they lost me. I know the highway mpg for the Sequoia is 17 just curious if it will do 17 are any better. The Sequoia is alittle out dated just like the Tundra but they are proven.

Thanks

MPG sucks like the Tundra, I'm getting 16 but I haven't hit the highway yet. I'd say the faster you go the lower it will go. But it rides great and like most Toyota products it is functional not fancy. Quiet interior with an easy to use NAV system and extremely comfortable seating. I went Limited as I didn't need the DVD entertainment system in the Platinum. But by doing that I still get Blind Spot monitoring but not rear cross path detection. And the rear window goes down just like Tundra so that is an added bonus. Hope that helps, if you have any more questions just shoot me a PM so we don't hijack the thread.

Edited by C6Bill

MPG sucks like the Tundra, I'm getting 16 but I haven't hit the highway yet. I'd say the faster you go the lower it will go. But it rides great and like most Toyota products it is functional not fancy. Quiet interior with an easy to use NAV system and extremely comfortable seating. I went Limited as I didn't need the DVD entertainment system in the Platinum. But by doing that I still get Blind Spot monitoring but not rear cross path detection. And the rear window goes down just like Tundra so that is an added bonus. Hope that helps, if you have any more questions just shoot me a PM so we don't hijack the thread.

We know how much RT hates that :crackup:

MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY HANUKKAH, HAPPY KWANZA, or whatever you any yours celebrates!!!

• Like 1

Had all four tires balanced today by an actual tire shop this time. A little less vibration but still has the shake. The steering wheel vibration has decreased a bit too. Oh well. At least I had it done for free. Guy said the balance that the dealership had done was horrible.

Trying to figure out my vibration every time I'm home. This time I took her out on the road made sure the vibration is still there. It was. So I went into the shop and put the stuck up on stands.

Got it up to speed on the stands and the vibration is still there. Since I know my driveline is not true. I had it spinning at idle and could see the wabble in the driveline. So with a marker I slowly went closer to the driveline and had it mark where the bend is highest. Put a 3" hose clamp 180* from that spot and the vibration almost went away. But is still there. Next time I'm home the driveline is getting trued and balanced. After that I'm going to swap the rear differential from a 2013 max tow truck with the old style 9.5" 14 bolt.

Since every truck that has this vibration had a few of the same parts and manufacturers like drivelines and this new 9.5" hybrid 12 bolt they put in.

I honestly think it's this new rear end. I've seen a lot of guys fix it with a gear swap. And if I'm going to do a gear swap I'm going to put an axle in that's proved itself already.

Truck specs

2014 5.3 l 4x4 crew cab 5'8" bed

6" pro Comp lift

Pro Comp add a leaf.

Air bags.

112d9d10a75ac1869e672b465e4b61ef.jpg34e142a760cb5af0b49daca6664c495e.jpg77fca7ebe46823d8f47c6b749f850b12.jpg12acdd77c92af423f676578aceeff31b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Edited by smcgillis10