Well, damn. Tomorrow I drop my three week old 2016 Sierra 1500 SLE Crew Cab with 950 miles off for 3-5 days of evaluation for the shakes. I expected a service appointment with tire balancing or maybe even replacement. Sounds like they are going full-monty right off the bat.

It ended up being right at $650 for axles, seals, fluid, and lug nut studs.

Not bad to have a smooth riding vehicle. i'm sure GM and a dealer would say there is now way that's causing the problem but it sounds like it may be the problem. I'm going to wait until you have more time on the road with it and possibly go down the same path. The castings for the hub are just plain sloppy and I bet unbalanced even beyond just the edge of the hub face not running true I'm willing to bet the thickened portion of the casting where the studs come through are even out of whack. Its like the raw cast wasn't centered when it went into the machining center for facing and hole operations so you get a center hole with the studs properly centered but offset on the actual hub center, if that's the case you want be able to balance them by just turning the outer edge in a lathe.

Well, damn. Tomorrow I drop my three week old 2016 Sierra 1500 SLE Crew Cab with 950 miles off for 3-5 days of evaluation for the shakes. I expected a service appointment with tire balancing or maybe even replacement. Sounds like they are going full-monty right off the bat.

Kurt,

Did you have the vibration right from the start or did it progress after some higher speed highway miles? I ask because many here don't witness it until a few thousand miles and some have it right away and it's hard to put a finger on it. Any imbalance would be felt right away while shifting steel tire belts or wheel balance, if that's a cause, would and could happen progressively or a different speeds.

Kurt,

Did you have the vibration right from the start or did it progress after some higher speed highway miles? I ask because many here don't witness it until a few thousand miles and some have it right away and it's hard to put a finger on it. Any imbalance would be felt right away while shifting steel tire belts or wheel balance, if that's a cause, would and could happen progressively or a different speeds.

I noticed it slightly on the test drive but attributed it to flat spots on the tires from sitting. I knew nothing about the vibration issue and called with 150 miles on the odometer. At 1,000 miles it remains exactly the same. Their response that they needed 3-5 days to diagnose prompted me to start searching for why.

I did some heavy hauling/towing recently. My bed had at least 800 pounds in it, and I was hauling a trailer with cargo weighing around 5,000 pounds. My truck still shook. At certain speeds the center console shook like it always does. Many friends always told me that if I loaded the bed it would be fine. Nope. She was fully loaded and still shook.

Where are you feeling the shake? Floor, seat back, steering wheel?

Where are you feeling the shake? Floor, seat back, steering wheel?

Seat and steering wheel. I could duplicate any number of U-Tube videos showing a water bottle shaking in the console. It occurs at about 50 mph and again at about 75 mph.

Edited by kurt1305

Called my dealer today asking for an update (been in 27 days straight) and informed me that swapping the driveshaft corrected the problem. It has now spent 38 days total in the shop and vibrating since delivery and it took them this long to try something other than tires!!! Was the driveshaft swap successful for others? I am going to pick it up tonight or tomorrow.

Update on my end. Dealership wanted to change brand of tires but GM wants an engineer to look at more PICO data. Dealership had my truck for the day while they collected more data. Apparently they didn't measure everything the first time. On another not I had a 2017 loaner double cab LT z71. The tires were Goodyear wrangler H/T's. Haven't seen this as a stock option till now? Maybe GM is going to ditch the SR-A garbage? Anyways, I hope they detect something because this 2017 rode way better. I mean night and day. No vibration in the steering wheel and I drove it for about 3 hours total had 900 miles on it when I picked it up. Asked if I could keep this one and they could keep mine Lol. The saga continues....

Update on my end. Dealership wanted to change brand of tires but GM wants an engineer to look at more PICO data. Dealership had my truck for my the day while they collected more data. Apparently they didn't measure everything the first time. On another not I had a 2017 loaner double cab LT z71. The tires were Goodyear wrangler H/T's. Haven't seen this as a stock option till now? Maybe GM is going to ditch the SR-A garbage? Anyways, I hope they detect something because this 2017 rode way better. I mean night and day. No vibration in the steering wheel and I drove it for about 3 hours total had 900 miles on it when I picked it up. Asked if I could keep this one and they could keep mine Lol. The saga continues....