Ok guys I finally found a solution to mine. While using a leaf blower to clean out my garage I thought I would blow under the truck to see if any of the panels were vibrating. To my instant amazement the panels were flopping back and forth or "vibrating". So I cut the most furthest extremes of each side of the plastic skid plate on both the front and bottom sides off (the most flimsy) and took her for a drive. Guys: SMOOTH AS SILK!!! This answers the riddle of why sometimes and not others. Head winds, cross winds, behind other vehicles, etc. would all play a factor in the randomness of this issue. I took it for a 10 mile drive but I've never drove 10 miles before without vibration. I believe I have solved the problem. (At least on mine). So my double cab was probably fine if they would have cut the panels out. Oh well, I now have a 2014 Crew with the All Terrain package and I am just happy I don't have that damn vibration anymore! Hope this helps all of you! Holy sh@t! Where's the Tylenol? :-)

Did you have any noise associated with the vibration?

So I put my truck on the lift at work today and removed the front skid plate, gas tank skid plate, and wraped a budgie around the evap canister and drove it home with high expedtions. No such luck, felt the same as always and possibly worse because I was concentrating on it. It really comes out while accelerating from around 35 to 45 but it always seems to have a slight vibration after that.

I have to say, as someone that was/is considering a new 2014 Silver, this thread is not instilling a lot of confidence in the purchase. Disliked this brand because of my impression of loose steering, prefer the stiffer Ford steering, until my buddy talked me into testing this years rig, much better. Still looser than Ford but perfectly fine.

Now I find this thread and another one, on a different forum, that is double in size. Cut the plastic skid plate seems to be the only solution I have actually seen out of all that I have read. I know some people have different issues or solutions but this one could be a universal solution. Which begs the question as to how this even became an issue, should this not have shown up in the wind tunnel testing? What engineer was sitting behind the wheel doing the observation?

Lastly, someone please confirm how they would suggest go about making sure they would minimize the grief endured regarding this or any other of the issues that are repetitively popping up. I was shocked at the service guy who denied a customer service when figuring the dealer had done all they could do to troubleshoot the problem. I would pulled the guys tonsils out and then screamed for a lemon law. With all the crap GM is going through right now the product quality inspection would be a ton better. We bailed your asses out as a country so you could offer us overly inflated products.

If I move forward with this purchase the dealership better be prepared to offer a very sweet, I mean sweet, deal on an extended warranty.

Silver Spaceship- Sorry to read that didn't fix yours. Mine seems fine now. I would like to go back to my black double cab and take the skid plate off it and see what it feels like. That truck was awful compared to my new crew. Again, both trucks are exactly the same except double to crew and 3:08 to a 3:42 respectively. On my double the dealer replaced wheels, tires, rotors, axles, drive shafts, changed shaft angles and maybe more that I'm forgetting but could not get rid of the vibration which was random to say the least. I know I could always get it to do it with that truck at 70 to 75 with light acceleration or just trying to "maintain" speed. The vibration was significant. You don't have to cut the skid plate off to test. FYI. You can unbolt and test without much work.

Again- This fixed the issue on my truck and it's still very much possible there are other things causing the vibrations. Mine have 1300 miles on it. I drove 40 miles today and could not have been happier. I hope I'm not jinxing myself. Lol. I will continue to report if it comes back or if it remains smooth. (I hope the latter). -All the best to you guys!

Edited by Chappy 1901

I have to say, as someone that was/is considering a new 2014 Silver, this thread is not instilling a lot of confidence in the purchase. Disliked this brand because of my impression of loose steering, prefer the stiffer Ford steering, until my buddy talked me into testing this years rig, much better. Still looser than Ford but perfectly fine.

Now I find this thread and another one, on a different forum, that is double in size. Cut the plastic skid plate seems to be the only solution I have actually seen out of all that I have read. I know some people have different issues or solutions but this one could be a universal solution. Which begs the question as to how this even became an issue, should this not have shown up in the wind tunnel testing? What engineer was sitting behind the wheel doing the observation?

Lastly, someone please confirm how they would suggest go about making sure they would minimize the grief endured regarding this or any other of the issues that are repetitively popping up. I was shocked at the service guy who denied a customer service when figuring the dealer had done all they could do to troubleshoot the problem. I would pulled the guys tonsils out and then screamed for a lemon law. With all the crap GM is going through right now the product quality inspection would be a ton better. We bailed your asses out as a country so you could offer us overly inflated products.

If I move forward with this purchase the dealership better be prepared to offer a very sweet, I mean sweet, deal on an extended warranty.

I would pass. You could be stuck with a truck you can't drive. The AFM feature is a joke and makes a lot of noise. They have no idea about the vibration. I went through it for three months. In and out of the shop 10 times. Loaners or being stuck at shop. Total not having the truck for about 13 days the first month. I don't care what the extended warranty is. If it vibrates and irritates you it isn't worth it. You can't do lemon law because they will claim that it is within spec and normal. There I said it.

I would pass. You could be stuck with a truck you can't drive. The AFM feature is a joke and makes a lot of noise. They have no idea about the vibration. I went through it for three months. In and out of the shop 10 times. Loaners or being stuck at shop. Total not having the truck for about 13 days the first month. I don't care what the extended warranty is. If it vibrates and irritates you it isn't worth it. You can't do lemon law because they will claim that it is within spec and normal. There I said it.

I will not touch anything with an AFM system with a 10 ft pole.

There, I said it.

Thanks for the reply gdadlow and pm26. The price of the rig I was looking at was about 2K below invoice and it meets all of my check boxes but after reading all of this crap it looks like I will have to shell out more money for a ford. Especially when the poll on how you like your truck includes comments to the effect of "I love it but could do without the vibration." Makes me think someone is not being honest with themselves.

Just to play devils advocate for the moment. What is the difference between the AFM and Ecoboost? Don't they do they same thing just in different ways?

I have seen and had my share of problems with 1/2 ton fords. They all have them. My GMs had all ways got me home, cant say that with the early plug spitting 4.6 or 5.4. I think I would wait to see how those new bodies work out on the new fords. Ecoboost had problems with power loss.

Edited by Silverado 6.2

Find one you like and drive it for a day to see if there is anything wrong that you have seen on the forms and if there is tell them you want it fixed before you do paperwork

• Like 1

My company has four 2011 silverados all of them over 100k . And all vibrate and shake . One has we have put 4 tires two different times / shocks and struts / u-jointes balanced drive shaft and now a transmission no fix .Dealership keep saying we don't know . I have read some one else on here say the dealer say farm beaming . As a former mechanic that is the biggest pile of sh&t I have ever heard . That is a full box frame and if that even plausible then you have a defect !!!! I'm looking at the spring bushing and a frame mounts are needing to replaced . Not sure that will be the fix. We have other trucks not GM and had 300k that's had brakes, tires, and didn't vibrate !!!!