My '16 Z71 has vibrated since day one at around 45 mph and then again at about 75 mph and up. Little over 2,500 miles on it at present. I have dealer appointment no. 3 set for Wed. 12/14. Thing is, the vibration is hardly there at all for the past week or so. Only reason I can think of is the cold temps here in central NY?? Same thing happened a few weeks ago when we had a little cold snap.

I'm thinking of canceling my 12/14 visit to the dealer and waiting for warmer weather, as I have no doubt the vibrations will be back....not sure what to do now. To me, there's no sense in taking it in if the vibes aren't there. What do you guys think...delayed visit make sense??

Edited by Willyone

My '16 Z71 has vibrated since day one at around 45 mph and then again at about 75 mph and up. Little over 2,500 miles on it at present. I have dealer appointment no. 3 set for Wed. 12/14. Thing is, the vibration is hardly there at all for the past week or so. Only reason I can think of is the cold temps here in central NY?? Same thing happened a few weeks ago when we had a little cold snap.

I'm thinking of canceling my 12/14 visit to the dealer and waiting for warmer weather, as I have no doubt the vibrations will be back....not sure what to do now. To me, there's no sense in taking it in if the vibes aren't there. What do you guys think...delayed visit make sense??

If it's not shaking in the cold which is the same way mine behaves, You will get the operating normal or within spec and sent on your way without them doing anything.

If it's not shaking in the cold which is the same way mine behaves, You will get the operating normal or within spec and sent on your way without them doing anything.

Yep... That's what I was thinking would happen.

How would I check that? My dad and I rotated both rear tires while on the truck and they were spinning true. We put a dial gauge on the edge of both tires and had zero readings on the gauge. They were spinning true. I would think if it was the axle flange then my tire wouldn't be spinning true and the dial indicator would show a reading.

Watch the video post 10114 look at the outer edge of the axle.

RT

Edited by 07Softail

So, called dealership today to check status. Got told I would have to pay $150 for a picoscope. A visit and a hell raising changed that. Told them give me my fking pickup and I'll take it down the road to the Ford stealership... that changed their tune. Now they're going to do picoscope for free (surprise surprise) and should let me know the results tomorrow. Not very optimistic. Left in the loaner and immediately went to the Ford shop, no Raptors in stock unfortunately, because that's about the only thing I'll trade out for. They're trying to blame my vibration on the one time I got stuck in the mud and needed a tug to get out "tweaked something" is what they keep claiming.

If a 2015 4WD can't take a tug without something going wonky, then it's a piece of shit. Ive been tugging 4wd pickups for years, don't give me that line.

So, called dealership today to check status. Got told I would have to pay $150 for a picoscope. A visit and a hell raising changed that. Told them give me my fking pickup and I'll take it down the road to the Ford stealership... that changed their tune. Now they're going to do picoscope for free (surprise surprise) and should let me know the results tomorrow. Not very optimistic. Left in the loaner and immediately went to the Ford shop, no Raptors in stock unfortunately, because that's about the only thing I'll trade out for. They're trying to blame my vibration on the one time I got stuck in the mud and needed a tug to get out "tweaked something" is what they keep claiming.

If a 2015 4WD can't take a tug without something going wonky, then it's a piece of shit. Ive been tugging 4wd pickups for years, don't give me that line.

• Like 2

Cold weather seemed to minimize my vibration as well... something in the metallurgy of the rear end components perhaps?

Yes, people's rear ends tend to get stiffer in cold wether, so they will not be as sensitive to vibration. :crackup:

• Like 1

What I see is that there are a few parts that dealers and owners are replacing.

Tires

Differentials

Wheel bearings

Axles

I think I seen a torque converter or 2

But I think there are more parts that could be causing it.

A change in body mount material?

Too hard or too soft?

Engine or transmission mounts?

Leaf springs?

My vibration/shake feels like its side to side.

I've changed: wheel bearings & Tires

No change. I'm fixing to start swapping parts from 2013 or down trucks to see if anything changes.

Going to swap wheels, then leaf spring as long as they are the same.

Maybe even the front struts since they seem interchangeable. Cause it might be a change in spring rate.

What do you all think? Some of the guys here are mechanically savvy. What things have you tried or thought of trying to fix it. Going to the dealer isn't an option since I'm lifted and get the "it's your fault".

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yes on the tourqe converter

Drive shaft

Deferential shims/ ring and pinion if I remember correctly

Some people have a done a clamp mod on the leafs spring and stated it helped out or solved the issue

What I see is that there are a few parts that dealers and owners are replacing.

Tires

Differentials

Wheel bearings

Axles

I think I seen a torque converter or 2

But I think there are more parts that could be causing it.

A change in body mount material?

Too hard or too soft?

Engine or transmission mounts?

Leaf springs?

My vibration/shake feels like its side to side.

I've changed: wheel bearings & Tires

No change. I'm fixing to start swapping parts from 2013 or down trucks to see if anything changes.

Going to swap wheels, then leaf spring as long as they are the same.

Maybe even the front struts since they seem interchangeable. Cause it might be a change in spring rate.

What do you all think? Some of the guys here are mechanically savvy. What things have you tried or thought of trying to fix it. Going to the dealer isn't an option since I'm lifted and get the "it's your fault".

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I find it interesting that some of you are reporting that cold weather lessens or takes the shake away.

I think this w could be explained if tires are actually causing the vibration. If you happen to have a tire on your truck with a loose steel belt, it will vibrate more the hotter it gets, so cold wether actually helps reduce the vibration caused by such defects.

I did have such a tire on my Mazda 626 years ago and the vibration was less in colder weather.

Edited by pm26

Here is some info from another website, don't remember which as this was in a text file I had.

Most people have trouble determining if the vibration in their vehicle is coming from the DRIVESHAFT or not. There are typically two types of vibration most vehicles would have. A fast cycle vibration or a slow cycle vibration, to help understand this lets say we put a bucket of water on the passenger’s floor. If the vibration in the vehicle produces small ripples on the top of the water this would be considered a fast cycle vibration. This type of vibration is usually a drive train vibration, things like the driveshaft, motor or torque converter. If the vibration puts waves on the top of the water or splashes, this type of vibration is a slow cycle vibration and usually is an axle or tire vibration. People have trouble determining where the vibration in their vehicle is coming from. Try the test below if your not sure.

A simple way to do this is put the vehicle in question up on jack stands, block the front tires and run the vehicle up to the speed you have the vibration. Make sure you use the brake to stop the drive train before you put the car in park if it’s an automatic. If the vibration is a fast cycle vibration you may want to have the DRIVESHAFT checked for balance. This may make no sense to you but you may try indexing the shaft 180 degrees (just pull the shaft off the rear yoke and put it on the opposite way). What this does is change the resonant frequency property of the driveline and in many cases it takes the vibration away. If you have a slow cycle vibration take the tires off the car (make sure you put lugs back on the axle to keep the brake in line) and run the vehicle again. If the vibration is gone you now have to find out if it’s the rim or the tire and good tire shop can help you with that.

Has anyone worked or looked at the emergency brake? It may be too tight and in warmer weather it may expand, a slightly touching e brake will make you wiggle like a bad tire.

Just because the light is not on does not mean it isn't. Slack, tension in the cable can cause the light to go off but not necessarily full release on the ebrake shoes.

Just a thought

Cold weather seemed to minimize my vibration as well... something in the metallurgy of the rear end components perhaps?

The items most affected by temperature swings are all the rubber parts. Tires and pressure, body mounts and fluid inside, and all the suspension bushings, oil viscocities, not only does it seem like the shaking is minimal when it's cold but the truck seems to ride better in general. It's like the rubber is too soft in the heat. Metallurgy is also affected by temperature but small swings are typically neglected for stress and deflection calculations of steel, It would however affect the K value which can contribute to resonance, All of this still doesn't explain why only some trucks have this issue unless all of the trucks are on the edge and only some happen to have all the pieces fall into place to create a vibrator.