You could have a square "hub" and would not do anything....as long as the Lugs are placed in appropriate positions off center anything past that is just material for strength. It could look like shark teeth too and would not effect anything............keep trying!

You could have a square "hub" and would not do anything....as long as the Lugs are placed in appropriate positions off center anything past that is just material for strength. It could look like shark teeth too and would not effect anything............keep trying!

That's incorrect The rotating mass of the hub would create an imbalance in this situation because the additional material on one side of the hub moves the center of gravity away from the center of the hub. It is true any shape even square can be balanced but only if the center of gravity is located on the axis of rotation.

I drive that section of new pavement 2 or 3 times a month and it does it every time . First time driving after repave wife and I both thought we were having a severe and sudden carrier bearing failure in the rear end. For some strange reason it makes them Bridgestone A/T tires sing and slight vibration in floorboard. We even drove it in her new Camry no tire singing but a very subtle vibration or more like a quiver felt in that too but nothing like truck.

That's incorrect The rotating mass of the hub would create an imbalance in this situation because the additional material on one side of the hub moves the center of gravity away from the center of the hub. It is true any shape even square can be balanced but only if the center of gravity is located on the axis of rotation.

You get the jest of it! I am not talking 3LBS mass here vs other side? Were talking insignificant differences. I would bet both of us would be shocked at how off/different they could be from one side to the other...........

You get the jest of it! I am not talking 3LBS mass here vs other side? Were talking insignificant differences. I would bet both of us would be shocked at how off/different they could be from one side to the other...........

We are talking about parts turned in a CNC lathe, They shouldn't be off to the point you can see it with the naked eye. Regardless of the machining tolerance, the amount of mass is only a small part of the equation, rotational speed, natural frequency, and damping ratio all have to be accounted for to determine if a small unbalanced mass will cause an issue. Where the issue arises is when the natural frequency and the input frequency equal one another. This is resonance and the vibration amplitude is very large regardless of the mass value being 3 lbs or 3 grams.

so you switched from 2wd to 4wd while driving and that fixed it from vibrating ??

all I can tell you is, it was vibrating pretty bad on the turnpike...while I was off the turnpike, traveling between a few stores, I put it in and out of 4wd a few times at around 40 mph...when I headed back up the highway at 65 to 70 mph, the vibration wasn't there...

i'm ruling out tires, because I traveled at least 300 miles after the dealer service, and it was fine...

the reason that I thought about putting it in and out of 4wd was, that 1 of the recalls was for reprogramming something with the 4wd...

and like I said...never an ounce of vibration in almost 25,000 miles...

We are talking about parts turned in a CNC lathe, They shouldn't be off to the point you can see it with the naked eye. Regardless of the machining tolerance, the amount of mass is only a small part of the equation, rotational speed, natural frequency, and damping ratio all have to be accounted for to determine if a small unbalanced mass will cause an issue. Where the issue arises is when the natural frequency and the input frequency equal one another. This is resonance and the vibration amplitude is very large regardless of the mass value being 3 lbs or 3 grams.

Agreed, you should not be able to see it with naked eye. About the only thing I going in my life is I am not associated with this thread/vibes etc. The only thing I can say is, "when I first bought the truck and brought it home the kids and I were jumping up in down in the bed" I thought to myself this is the stiffest truck bed I have ever jumped in and it's 2wd no Z71 blah,blah plain old 1500 suspension. It would seem to me this truck is ridiculously FRAME STIFF and a goofy ass instantaneous v4-v8 switching engine that is NOT isolated 1 bit from the transient frequency of 75 mph driving. I mean it all sounds great on paper but there is much going on with this truck/engine/drivetrain etc.

Just like my wifes Nissan it's brakes were ****ed upon delivery and the second off the lot been complaining......Only response is they make noise sir yes, many of the brakes do, but no injuries or accidents occurred and Nissan is not going to replace parts on your vehicle just to replace parts? The next GM iteration of AFM is Dynamic Skip Fire and hopefully the RANDOM firing patterns i.e. one here, one there, two this side 3 that side of combustion firing patterns and not just a BANK of Cylinders all at one time? Who, knows if this beast rolls smooth it's a damn nice truck and I feel for the fellas dealing with this nonsense!

Not that this is the fix, more an FYI...

I can change the amount of vibration in my truck switching from 22's with street tires to 17's with Nitto G2 tires.

The same roads that vibrate the truck on 22's are like a freshly paved road with 17's

• Like 1

Just finished a 4000mi trip, ny to Alabama to Florida back to NY

This is the smoothest most enjoyable vehicle I've driven

Granted I installed 4 Michelin's (Defenders) 275/20's when I took delivery. Because I know the good years are junk.

Average 22mpg running 70mph++

http://gm.oemdtc.com/5197/shakevibration-in-steering-wheel-floor-seat-at-highway-speeds-on-smooth-roads-1998-2005-buick-cadillac-oldsmobile-pontiac

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=195111

I think GM needs to fire their NVH department and start over. Apparently they have a tough time building anything that doesn't shake.

Edited by abominable z71
  • Like 2

One of these vibration cases just went before the New Hampshire State arbitration board and it was denied due to the defect not being present at the time of testing. Additionally customers are being reminded that the new vehicle warranty states that slight noise vibration or other normal characteristics of a vehicle are not covered under the new vehicle warranty.

That is their way of saying if you own it you can keep it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of these vibration cases just went before the New Hampshire State arbitration board and it was denied due to the defect not being present at the time of testing. Additionally customers are being reminded that the new vehicle warranty states that slight noise vibration or other normal characteristics of a vehicle are not covered under the new vehicle warranty.

That is their way of saying if you own it you can keep it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the 2017 Chevy Cover your A$$ Vibration Warranty

Repairs Covered The warranty covers repairs to correct any vehicle defect, not slight noise, vibrations, or other normal characteristics of the vehicle due to materials or workmanship occurring during the warranty period. Needed repairs will be performed using new, remanufactured, or refurbished parts.