It sounds like they are replacing parts at random, hoping that one of them solves the problem. One can easily inspect the drive shaft for lateral runout, and check it for proper balance on special equipment. No need to replace it just to see what happens. But of course that's the easiest thing to do for them. As for the "yolk", did they give you a nice yellow colored one?

From some posts I read on here, some vibration problems were solved by replacing the transmission or at least the chattering torque converter. Maybe they shoudl check that out?

It sounds like they are replacing parts at random, hoping that one of them solves the problem. One can easily inspect the drive shaft for lateral runout, and check it for proper balance on special equipment. No need to replace it just to see what happens. But of course that's the easiest thing to do for them. As for the "yolk", did they give you a nice yellow colored one?

From some posts I read on here, some vibration problems were solved by replacing the transmission or at least the chattering torque converter. Maybe they shoudl check that out?

@ JAC50

The service manager at my dealership in FL called me to have me bring mine back in. He says he fixed the problem on another '14 and says that it was a night and day difference. He needs to have my truck for 2 days. He needs to drive it and take the vibration hertz and g-force readings to make sure it is in the tire range frequency , then they are going to put Michelins on it, drive it again to take more readings to compair.

Last time it was there they did the same thing and said the readings show it is a tire issue so they "force balance" all 4 tires and sent it home with me. That didnt fix the issue so hopefully the Michelins do. The fact that mine does it intermitently, I dont think it is a tire issue but we shall see. This will be the 5th time in for the issue. So far 3 tires have been changed and balanced 4 times.

I will post any changes when I get it back. Will be droping it off on Monday.

So what was the fix?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

So what was the fix? Sent from my HTC One using Tapat

To my understanding it is the tires. I will know more when I drop the truck off. I do know that they were working with GM on the issue and that the truck they did had for a week or so that they worked on, they just changed the tires and that fixed the issue. It is somewhat believable because GY tires SUCK! And as I saw on a previous post on here someone switched to Michelin tires and they had no more vibration issue.

So what was the fix? Sent from my HTC One using Tapat

To my understanding it is the tires. I will know more when I drop the truck off. I do know that they were working with GM on the issue and that the truck they did had for a week or so that they worked on, they just changed the tires and that fixed the issue. It is somewhat believable because GY tires SUCK! And as I saw on a previous post on here someone switched to Michelin tires and they had no more vibration issue.

OK cool let us know. Mine goes in at 3:30 today

OK cool let us know. Mine goes in at 3:30 today

Plan on leaving it with them for two weeks.

If its there for 2 weeks I'll fight for a new truck. I've only had it for 4 days

Hello All,

So as promised here is my update, Went to the dealer (Ed Schmidt Perrysburg Ohio) to pick up my truck after being told it was done, well lets just say the warm water on my leg was not rain... (for those that cant read between the lines don't p!$$ on my leg and tell me its raining)

I was told there was still at vibration at 45 but that it was very slight and that it is the best they can do. Well I decided before I would accept I would take the truck for a ride and see what it was like. As soon as I headed down the road the truck sounded a little louder than normal and the vibration seemed like it was gone but something just did not feel right. I went about ten miles and did not like what I felt so took it back to the shop but was contemplating taking the truck back home with me... Well that was until I decided to go under the truck and take a look for myself and at that point lets just say I quickly saw red and my temper was about as long as my... I think you get the point yep the point of the same thing GM is trying to give me. What I found was they had used hose clamps (worm gear clamps to be more specific) to try and balance the drive shaft that was installed the previous week. Well with that lets just say any education went out the window and I changed to a vernacular that I am sure would make most bikers blush yes I was mad and my patience and frustration level hit its breaking point. When I left the dealership things were open ended as I am done dealing with ignorance and incompetence and want to talk with someone in charge. I have asked GM customer care to contact me before COB on Tuesday or my next step is contacting an attorney and following Lemon Law proceedings BTW this is consecutive day 23 and approximately 34 days of the past 60 in the shop. I know I will have a battle but luckily for me I have the means to fight and the heart and tenacity of a pit bull to win even if it turns out to be a pyrrhic war at least they (GM) will understand that people will not put up with second rate quality while paying a premium price. Check out the pics I have added to my profile and you can see for yourselves as a picture is worth a thousand words.

Good luck to all and will let you know how things turn out.

John C.

Three weeks ago I decided to retire my 2008 Sierra and sign the papers on a new one. I picked up a 2014 GMC sierra SLT 4X4. I have noticed a really annoying vibration during low cruising speeds (30-40mph) when the truck goes into v4 mode. I have taken into the dealer and they say that it is the normal operation of fuel management system, and it is because the exaust sytem is detuned while only firing on four cylinders. Has anyone heard of this theory? I am so disapionted right now and ready to sell it. Frustrated I guess since my 08 had a vibration that I could not get rid of at 60-70mph.

Three weeks ago I decided to retire my 2008 Sierra and sign the papers on a new one. I picked up a 2014 GMC sierra SLT 4X4. I have noticed a really annoying vibration during low cruising speeds (30-40mph) when the truck goes into v4 mode. I have taken into the dealer and they say that it is the normal operation of fuel management system, and it is because the exaust sytem is detuned while only firing on four cylinders. Has anyone heard of this theory? I am so disapionted right now and ready to sell it. Frustrated I guess since my 08 had a vibration that I could not get rid of at 60-70mph.

Yes im sorry to say but it is normal for it to do that, they can put vibration dampeners on the exhaust to help with it, or you can get it programed out so it dont go to V4 mode cause going to V4 really doesnt help that much in mpg to deal with the vibration/ HMMM sound if it is a problem to you. Hope this helps

tn_gallery_127565_2479_1124430.jpg Here is their fix on my 14, needless to say it is unacceptable to my standards and did not leave with the truck. I have also added some information from folks I work with that spent many years working for Dana. As I posted earlier today I live in Toledo Ohio Home of the Jeep, Dana, GM Powertrain and Chrysler machining plant. So 4x4 s, drive shafts/axles, transmissions and torque converters. By the way what you see is a new drive shaft with hose clamps placed on it to balance it.

• Like 1

tn_gallery_127565_2479_1124430.jpg Here is their fix on my 14, needless to say it is unacceptable to my standards and did not leave with the truck. I have also added some information from folks I work with that spent many years working for Dana. As I posted earlier today I live in Toledo Ohio Home of the Jeep, Dana, GM Powertrain and Chrysler machining plant. So 4x4 s, drive shafts/axles, transmissions and torque converters. By the way what you see is a new drive shaft with hose clamps placed on it to balance it.

You have got to be kidding me!

Yes and it is bull.

My High Country has vibration from 30 mph on up on smooth roads. At first they tried that theory, so I watched for it. I feel no difference at all in V4.

In the wife's Z71 I feel no difference in V4 and hers has no vibration.

The v4 theory is something they use to pacify you. Even if this is happening on some peoples trucks it doesn't do it on everyone's, and it doesn't on mine. I would ask them to correct it.

I also upgraded from a 2008, a Z71 LTZ. Last week I drove it last week while the High Country was being checked out. It drives great and no vibration. The comparison of the good drive of the old truck compared to the crappy drive of the new hardens me in my resolve. Excuses for the vibration are not tolerated.

Harmonic vibration? Next time you feel it listen. It sounds like a sub woofer at a low frequency. I hear it the most while in 4 cylinder mode. This frequency could be created in the exhaust, or driveline causing most likely the cab to vibrate. If the cabs of these trucks have a low harmonic frequency that matches a slight vibration in the truck it could amplify it resulting in us hearing and feeling it.

Harmonics are a very big deal today. Back 10+ years when the frames weren't as stiff, it wasn't as big an issue. Now that frames are getting stiffer and stiffer, as payloads and towing cap. keeps going up, harmonics are going to show up. I remember on the intro of the '07s an Engr. made a statement at the grand opening 'we paid a lot of attention to harmonics'. Since I deal with harmonics in my job, I thought that was cool, and went and bought an '07, and really liked it, except the first 6sp trans were really bad, even after 2-3 computer updates. Then I got an '11 and the trans issues were fixed, but it vibrates at highway speeds, and is intermittent, etc.... a lot like all the problems raised in this thread. Going to Bridgestones helped the most, and now it's manageable, but I am not buying a new truck till they figure this out, and somehow tell me/us, what they did to fix it. I know for a fact that there is still something wrong with my '11, but it will never get fixed now. The new issue could be many things, and I hope they figure it out ASAP. If it is harmonics, it can be fixed, sometimes really easy, sometimes not. If it's balancing of components, that's easy by QC control with vendors, etc..., but then GM has to do some damage control and fast. At least it sounds like they are trying, just probably not fast enough for the majority of us.

I been on and following this thread since the beginning I also have a mechanical engineering degree. So here is my take. There are mainly two completely different vibrations which are not related to each other being posted here.

The first is obviously the higher speed vibration which seems to be related to improper wheel balancing. These new trucks are using higher strength steel and are more sensitive to Harmonic vibrations then ever before. Having your wheels and tires perfect is a must.

The second is a audible vibration caused by the cylinder deactivation and exhaust. I bought one of the first in the area and had no issues concerning this until I had a computer update. Mostly felt when the motor is at a low rpm for that particular gear. I blame this on our governments mpg/emission laws.

There are a few random problems mixed in the forum as well, (This is to be expected with any manufacturer) that resulted in a vibration.

Hopefully GM will pull their heads out of their ars and fix these issues.

As I mentioned before in earlier post my worst problem is hauling a light trailer. I think it's the tire problem magnified. Just haven't had time to go back to the dealer with the trailer attached.

I think there is at the least, two different vibration problems being discussed in this thread.

Mine is intermittent or maybe I should say more random. I have 1,400 miles on mine, and it's only done it maybe three (3) times that I'm aware of, and not one was the same. Once going up hill, and twice on different fairly level roads. Up hill was at 72 MPH on cruise, and the others were average 50 MPH. I'm certain it's not my tires. I drive the turnpike (PA) every weekday. I usually have the cruise at 72 or 73, and have never (but that one time) experienced anything other than a "smooth as glass" ride. My tires are the 18" GY SR-A's too.

In all three instances it didn't last very long. Maybe 5 minutes at the most. The latest was driving home from work this past Friday. At one point I was looking around the cab and everything had a minor shake going on. Once I pulled away from the next stop light, everything was fine. Head scratcher for sure.

One other thing, and if someone else posted I apologize, as I just read (or tried to read) all 57 pages. I can't have the passenger window down. It drives me crazy! It's some sort of "air pulsing" or resonating or whatever you'd call it. Very annoying to say the least.

Anyone else notice this?

BTW, mine is a Chevy LT double cab,6'.6" box with the 5.3 and 3:42 gears.

Greg

One other thing, and if someone else posted I apologize, as I just read (or tried to read) all 57 pages. I can't have the passenger window down. It drives me crazy! It's some sort of "air pulsing" or resonating or whatever you'd call it. Very annoying to say the least.

Anyone else notice this?

Greg

If it is what I think you are talking about it is an aerodynamic thing in the design of the vehicle. My last two trucks did it as we'll at highway speeds. I have noticed in other types of vehicles as well. what I remember being told a few years back is that vehicles now are designed for air flow with the windows up. When you roll the window down it interrupts the air flow and makes that pulsing sound. Edited by HDNitehawk

If it is what I think you are talking about it is an aerodynamic thing in the design of the vehicle. My last two trucks did it as we'll at highway speeds. I have noticed in other types of vehicles as well. what I remember being told a few years back is that vehicles now are designed for air flow with the windows up. When you roll the window down it interrupts the air flow and makes that pulsing sound.

I don't have them on yet, but I wonder if the window vent visors would make any difference.

Greg