Why should we have to have one certain type of tire for these trucks to drive smooth? I have a 20 year old 2 door blazer with static balanced LT285/70R17 BFG Muds and runs smoother on the highway than my 14. That is not right. You should be able to put any brand or type of tire onto these truck and be able to achieve a smooth ride.

You can blame the tires, and change tires till you find a set that helps masks the problem. Once you eliminate balance issues you are just looking for tires that can cover an underlying defect.

I had the dealer put Nitto Terra Grapplers on mine when I bought it, and the steering wheel vibrates.

So he blames the tires. Having used Nittos for 6 years I claim bs.

We switch tires with another new truck and still vibration, maybe less with stock tires but still there.

We put my Nitto tires on the truck we switched with and it drove smooth as glass. No vibration in the steering column, none.

So this pretty much eliminated the blame the tire theory.

I am disappointed with the new structured GM. I question if they are really the same company any more.

I had a dream last night. I dreamed I was driving a Ford with a smooth ride and no vibration. I woke and didn't know if it was a good dream or a night mare. I do not want to give up on my Chevy's, at least not yet.

Edited by HDNitehawk

Have a loaner '14 SLE while my trk has some work done. 20 inch SLE wheels with GY LS. Thing shook so bad on drive home I thought a wheel was loose. It has to be bad tires or balance. I can tell these GY LS are really not a good tire. Even at slower speed and no shake, they are harsh and ride rough. Feel like they are inflated to 60 lbs (they are not). The GYs LS are No comparison to my Michelins on my truck.If this was my truck, I would dump these tires for Michelins so fast. Even if I had to get a loan to do such. Then trueing/high speed balance on the trk. IF still an issue, then I would return to dealer to look elsewhere. OH, I would be sure to check the wheels for run out etc...when changing tires.

I just put 20" sierra wheels on my truck with GY eagle LS2 and @ 70mph it shakes so bad I can feel the fat in my belly and on my neck jiggle. Its going in Wednesday for road force balance.

Tapatalk via Moto X

• Like 1

14 SLT Crew Cab 4x4 6.2

Noticed the shake at highway speeds when I test drove it. Service told me to drive it for a few hundred miles as they felt it had flat spots that would wear out. Took it in today for the first time with 600 miles on the tires and it still has the same shake. At first they told me all the wheels balanced fine and they felt no shake. I took the tech for a ride but could only manage to get a small shake out of it. He felt it but did not think it was to bad. Got back to the dealership and the service manager said yes there is a problem but GM has yet to figure it out and to just keep driving it. Of course on the 1.5 hour ride home it was shaking like crazy!! 70-85 seems to be the shake sweet spot. Slight throttle like going up a slight hill and warm tires is the only things I feel are the same each time it shakes. Sucks we have to deal with this on a new 50K truck. It would drive me crazy to take it on a long interstate trip right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 SLT Crew Cab 4x4 6.2 Noticed the shake at highway speeds when I test drove it. Service told me to drive it for a few hundred miles as they felt it had flat spots that would wear out. Took it in today for the first time with 600 miles on the tires and it still has the same shake. At first they told me all the wheels balanced fine and they felt no shake. I took the tech for a ride but could only manage to get a small shake out of it. He felt it but did not think it was to bad. Got back to the dealership and the service manager said yes there is a problem but GM has yet to figure it out and to just keep driving it. Of course on the 1.5 hour ride home it was shaking like crazy!! 70-85 seems to be the shake sweet spot. Slight throttle like going up a slight hill and warm tires is the only things I feel are the same each time it shakes. Sucks we have to deal with this on a new 50K truck. It would drive me crazy to take it on a long interstate trip right now. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About temporary flat spots in tires:

If that is the case, those flat spots should go away after about 50 miles of driving. If they do not, the tires sometime have to be replaced. In case of these trucks, the problem is not tire flatspotting, however. It is a combination of poor quality tires, bad tire balance, improperly balanced or improperly fabricated driveshafts, and possibly faulty and chattering transmission torque converters. That's what you get when you eliminate adequate quality control.

Edited by pm26

Found this site because I thought I was going crazy with my new 2wd crew having a vibration so I Google and find this post. I'm a member on fullsizegm also. Anyway I have a wiered vibration at 35-40 then another one around 70. White smoke coming from hood last night. Some Radio lights don't light up. Looks like my tach floats. Truck is 3 days old! Ridiculous going to the shop tomorrow.

1 note thing I'm in south jersey if any of you are working with a specific dealer lmk. Truck was built 11/13 in MEXICO

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Found this site because I thought I was going crazy with my new 2wd crew having a vibration so I Google and find this post. I'm a member on fullsizegm also. Anyway I have a wiered vibration at 35-40 then another one around 70. White smoke coming from hood last night. Some Radio lights don't light up. Looks like my tach floats. Truck is 3 days old! Ridiculous going to the shop tomorrow.

Was the engine overheating, or maybe it was just some anti corrosion coating being burned off the exhaust?

Edited by pm26

Was the engine overheating, or maybe it was just some anti corrosion coating being burned off the exhaust?

The truck wasn't overheating so maybe it was something burning off. I bought a 13cc last year new didn't have a single issue with that but loved the new design. I regret my decision so far.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I have a few posts on this vibration as well on this board. Here is where I am at with my 2014 GMC 1500 Sierra All Terrain package. I am on the 22nd consecutive day of my truck being at the dealership for this vibration with it being at the dealer for ~33 days in the past 2 months. They have now went from telling me "Its the nature of the beast" to balancing all tires replacing the right front tire, replacing the drive shaft, replacing the yolk on the rear axle and then placing a wedge between the axle and the spring to change the pinion angle. None of these corrective measures have ben successful. The GM engineer/ tech will be at the dealer tomorrow to place a more aggressive shim under the spring. Needless to say I am not impressed with their troubleshooting methods and less impressed with their sense of urgency. If anyone has some suggestions for them other than letting GM fold rather than saving them with our tax paying dollars let me know lol. I will keep everyone posted on the status of this and hopefully save some of you the same angst I have been dealing with.

-John

Needless to say I am not impressed with their troubleshooting methods and less impressed with their sense of urgency. If anyone has some suggestions for them other than letting GM fold rather than saving them with our tax paying dollars let me know lol. I will keep everyone posted on the status of this and hopefully save some of you the same angst I have been dealing with.

-John

My suggestion is short GM's stock. As tax payers we bailed them out once. We just as well make some money when they fold a second time.

It took me two months and a call to GM to get them to even look at my truck. I am past checking tires now, they put the vibration measuring equipment on the truck and decided it was the drive shaft. I am waiting on the drive shaft now. I don't think it will be the fix but it is the next logical course of action.

It looks like it will be a slow process. I am counting the days in the shop now, 30 full fills the lemon law requirement in my state.

Serious suggestion;

I give you this suggestion.

You are in Ohio, a quick look on the lemon laws in Ohio included this "The vehicle has been in the repair shop for a total of at least 30 days"

You past 30 days, ask for your money back or that they replace your vehicle with one that is acceptable. Do a quick google on the law. Your next step is probably documenting what has taken place and sending a certified letter asking that they replace or refund.

I have a few posts on this vibration as well on this board. Here is where I am at with my 2014 GMC 1500 Sierra All Terrain package. I am on the 22nd consecutive day of my truck being at the dealership for this vibration with it being at the dealer for ~33 days in the past 2 months. They have now went from telling me "Its the nature of the beast" to balancing all tires replacing the right front tire, replacing the drive shaft, replacing the yolk on the rear axle and then placing a wedge between the axle and the spring to change the pinion angle. None of these corrective measures have ben successful. The GM engineer/ tech will be at the dealer tomorrow to place a more aggressive shim under the spring. Needless to say I am not impressed with their troubleshooting methods and less impressed with their sense of urgency. If anyone has some suggestions for them other than letting GM fold rather than saving them with our tax paying dollars let me know lol. I will keep everyone posted on the status of this and hopefully save some of you the same angst I have been dealing with.

-John

It sounds like they are replacing parts at random, hoping that one of them solves the problem. One can easily inspect the drive shaft for lateral runout, and check it for proper balance on special equipment. No need to replace it just to see what happens. But of course that's the easiest thing to do for them. As for the "yolk", did they give you a nice yellow colored one?

From some posts I read on here, some vibration problems were solved by replacing the transmission or at least the chattering torque converter. Maybe they shoudl check that out?

Edited by pm26

It sounds like they are replacing parts at random, hoping that one of them solves the problem. One can easily inspect the drive shaft for lateral runout, and check it for proper balance on special equipment. No need to replace it just to see what happens. But of course that's the easiest thing to do for them. As for the "yolk", did they give you a nice yellow colored one?

From some posts I read on here, some vibration problems were solved by replacing the transmission or at least the chattering torque converter. Maybe they shoudl check that out?

@ JAC50

The service manager at my dealership in FL called me to have me bring mine back in. He says he fixed the problem on another '14 and says that it was a night and day difference. He needs to have my truck for 2 days. He needs to drive it and take the vibration hertz and g-force readings to make sure it is in the tire range frequency , then they are going to put Michelins on it, drive it again to take more readings to compair.

Last time it was there they did the same thing and said the readings show it is a tire issue so they "force balance" all 4 tires and sent it home with me. That didnt fix the issue so hopefully the Michelins do. The fact that mine does it intermitently, I dont think it is a tire issue but we shall see. This will be the 5th time in for the issue. So far 3 tires have been changed and balanced 4 times.

I will post any changes when I get it back. Will be droping it off on Monday.