My truck has some vibration but not as bad as the 2014 w/ 3.08 and 18"s I had first. Still not happy w/ ANY shaking on a new vehicle. Describe it best this way- when look to the right in my empty truck the passenger side sheet is vibrating like it the seat is equipped w/ a massage function. On my first truck equipped w/ 18s I could fell it in the passenger side seat and also the wheel a bit, on this new one w/ 20s and all terrain suspension I only see it as evidence.

That being said- my buddy just bought a full loaded SLT sierra and had real bad shakes and a humming sound, turned out he needs a whole new rear end.

I'm having my truck looked at as soon as I need my first oil change. Looks like GM will be eating some money on my repairs in the near future. I don't care if my shake is minor or not- if the rear end is indeed defective from the factory (something about pinion gears not matching up, chewing u where the drive shaft meets the rear) then I want it all new period.

WHERE DID THIS PINION GEARS NOT MATCHING UP, CHEWING UP WHERE THE DRIVE SHAFT MEETS THE REAR info come from? I am at 4000 miles and up till this point the truck has been smooth as glass but now I am getting a slight roaring noise and a vibration which seems to be coming from the rear end!! My wife was riding in the back the other day and kept asking me what the funny noise was, she said it sounded like a whistle/whine at certain slow speed when accelarating. I just figured the tires needed a good balancing but now it seems to be getting worse and I can hear it myself even with my old worn out sheet metal worker ears. I still have a ways to go to the next oil change but when I go in to the dealership for that I will get this checked out. Is there a TSB number for this pinion gear problem?

WHERE DID THIS PINION GEARS NOT MATCHING UP, CHEWING UP WHERE THE DRIVE SHAFT MEETS THE REAR info come from? I am at 4000 miles and up till this point the truck has been smooth as glass but now I am getting a slight roaring noise and a vibration which seems to be coming from the rear end!! My wife was riding in the back the other day and kept asking me what the funny noise was, she said it sounded like a whistle/whine at certain slow speed when accelarating. I just figured the tires needed a good balancing but now it seems to be getting worse and I can hear it myself even with my old worn out sheet metal worker ears. I still have a ways to go to the next oil change but when I go in to the dealership for that I will get this checked out. Is there a TSB number for this pinion gear problem?

I had it checked out no issue is what they say, I'll let it ride out for now I have almost 13k on it and hasn't given me any real prpblems

I have a 2014 crew cab 5.3 and I too have a vibration problem. It seems to come and go. I hear a wobble sound between 35 and 40 mph and I feel vibration in the wheel at 50 and it makes my hand numb.

wobble sound Hmmm I have something similar I think mine is a part under the truck maybe a shield or something has come lose it sounds like it wobbles when you hit anything over 60. If it ever actually warms up I may wash off the road salt and grime and sneak a peek under there. I cannot remember running over anything much. I sure hope a small dog or cat did not get under there and get caught in the suspension or something :tear:

I fixed my headache myself...just traded it in to Toyota, should have bought a Toyota to begin with, I lost 1K, but having the stress gone is well worth it...I'll never buy a GM product again!

U only lost 1K? Damn...

Sent from my Nexus 5

Guys

I have not responded in a while but hear is what's been going on with my truck .I had my dealers gm rep come out went for a ride me him and sales manger. Rep said truck has a vibration ni doubt.He then had gm engineer come to dealership with a vibration analyzer spent six hours on it did close to sixty miles with two different sets of tires still has vibration .the end result was that the ring and pinion lash was out of spec.(made by American axal corp.) Order me a complete rear end .rotors brake calp.the whole thing plug and play.had rear end installed all low speed vibration was gone but still had some vibration at the higher speeds that we all have but character's of vibration had changed. Went back to dealership told them I want to have my tire road forced balance at a location of my choice on gm dime. At first gm said no that the enginer said it was all set.told then it was not all set they could buy my truck back and resell if it was all good.gm said there not buying it back I told them I would be pursuing the lemon law in my state (MA) and that my lawyer would be contacting them, also told gm rep I was call a relative that works for the today show in NY.two day later the dealership call and said gm will pay to have tire balance and allinement to check the thrust angle with the new rear end installed. Gm engineer told me the spec.is no higher than 18lbs but like them below 14lbs.my road foce readings where rr4lbs lr 9lbs rf 2lbs lr 22lbs that tire is no good tried to do a quick match only got it down to 19lbs .Note left front closes to driver and steering wheel.Went through three more tires before I got a number of 4lbs these are good year 20".so highest road force# is 9lbs. Drove truck and no more vibration low speed high speeds. Brought back to my dealership and took thw boy for a ride they can't believe how much smoother the truxk rides. We then took the same truck as mineoff the lot with 16 miles on it and I watched the head rest shake the back seat the steering wheel shake and vibration though out the whole truck.This past weekend me son had hockey tournament 3and a half hour ride truck was smooth as glass 50 60 70 80 90 miles hour.

So that's my story hpoe it is helpful and good luck to all.

Ps some one posted that it was not there problem anymore it was gms they put them in a new truck that he was driving for a couple day to see that it had no vibration before they signed the paper work. Did you trade out or did gm buy it back?

• Like 1

Guys

I have not responded in a while but hear is what's been going on with my truck .I had my dealers gm rep come out went for a ride me him and sales manger. Rep said truck has a vibration ni doubt.He then had gm engineer come to dealership with a vibration analyzer spent six hours on it did close to sixty miles with two different sets of tires still has vibration .the end result was that the ring and pinion lash was out of spec.(made by American axal corp.) Order me a complete rear end .rotors brake calp.the whole thing plug and play.had rear end installed all low speed vibration was gone but still had some vibration at the higher speeds that we all have but character's of vibration had changed. Went back to dealership told them I want to have my tire road forced balance at a location of my choice on gm dime. At first gm said no that the enginer said it was all set.told then it was not all set they could buy my truck back and resell if it was all good.gm said there not buying it back I told them I would be pursuing the lemon law in my state (MA) and that my lawyer would be contacting them, also told gm rep I was call a relative that works for the today show in NY.two day later the dealership call and said gm will pay to have tire balance and allinement to check the thrust angle with the new rear end installed. Gm engineer told me the spec.is no higher than 18lbs but like them below 14lbs.my road foce readings where rr4lbs lr 9lbs rf 2lbs lr 22lbs that tire is no good tried to do a quick match only got it down to 19lbs .Note left front closes to driver and steering wheel.Went through three more tires before I got a number of 4lbs these are good year 20".so highest road force# is 9lbs. Drove truck and no more vibration low speed high speeds. Brought back to my dealership and took thw boy for a ride they can't believe how much smoother the truxk rides. We then took the same truck as mineoff the lot with 16 miles on it and I watched the head rest shake the back seat the steering wheel shake and vibration though out the whole truck.This past weekend me son had hockey tournament 3and a half hour ride truck was smooth as glass 50 60 70 80 90 miles hour.

Ps some one posted that it was not there problem anymore it was gms they put them in a new truck that he was driving for a couple day to see that it had no vibration before they signed the paper work. Did you trade out or did gm buy it back?

Copperdog, glad its all solved now, I'm sure its a weight lifted off your shoulders! I am the one who GM worked with. They were going to do a buyback but with all of the current incentives and GM giving my case 4k towards trade assistance, plus the dealer giving me more for my trade than book value, it worked out me paying the difference in MSRP's from the two different trucks, which would have ultimately been what the GM buyback would have been. Who knows how long that would have taken so I just opted for the trade in option (with the help of GM kicking in extra money) to not drag it out any longer. New truck is flawless so far, hopefully the dreaded vibration doesn't arise down the road. At least if it does, thanks to you, we might have more insight into a solution!

I just purchased a 2014 GMC Sierra a few months ago. I did not notice the vibrations before I purchased the truck. The vibrations seems to be coming from under the pickup and towards the back. My dealership has worked with me and changed the drive shaft, put new tires and balanced them, he even offered me another truck, but when I test drove three other pickups, they all vibrated, some worse than mine.. It vibrates whether I am going 25mph or 70 mph. I read on some forums others having the same problem. It is very aggravating. I have been buying Chevrolet Pickups for 20 years and never had this problem before. I even went to a front end alignment shop and the repair man took it out for a ride and said it was probably the rear axle. The dealership says they can't check the rear axle until they can get approval from GMC. I need some help.

My 2014 drove smooth as glass until just the last couple of hundred miles. I am getting a hum and whine from the rear area along with a vibration. I am right at 4000 miles. When I go back in for my first oil change I am going to get them to check it out. I too thought that there might be an issue with the rear end but my truck did come factory equipped with some questionable quality Good (Bad) Year Wrangler SRA 20in tires. Could just be the tires maybe? Mine is a 2014 GMC Sierra SLT CC SB 5.3 3.42 Z71 4x4 with factory 20in wheels.

Why can they not check the axle? My gosh can they not at least check the fluid level or change the fluid and check for metal shavings or something? Do they greet you by name now or just run and hide since you have been there so much LOL. I have heard that the customer service poeple on this forum have been a big help to some people in communicating with certain dealerships maybe you could solicit one to help you with this? Somewhere their is a link for that but not sure where. If you read through enough threads you will see where they have offered other posters to help with their problems.

Guys

Man after reading that it really makes you wonder if the tires were the problem all along? How did they determine that the ring and pinion lash was out of spec? was it actually torn down and checked or they just decided that since it seemed to be vibrating that was the problem? Need more info if possible I am preparing for a dealer trip here to have mine checked out for a noise and vibration that seems to be coming from the rear area. I do not have much faith in these 20in Good (Bad) Year Wrangler SRA tires I suspect that is the problem with a good number of the trucks that have vibration issues. But could be a rear end issue I just find it a bit confusing that the lash being out would cause anything more than a noise and possibly shorten the useful life of the rearend (probably go out at exactly 101000 miles LOL) not sure that it could be out enough to actually vibrate??

Copperdawg remind me please, what was your rear end ratio on that truck and what is the build date for your truck? Mine is 3.42 with build date of 12-11-13

Modified exhaust per TAC#71-1280001614

Four new Michelins Roadforce balance LF-16 RF-17 LR-15 RR-26

4 dampeners on exhaust. Vibration dampener mat per TAC #71-12880001614.

Installed sound dampening material around steering column and steering shaft to insulate.

Took for ride on asphalt and concrete mix and vibration seems to be gone. Now with it so quiet, it has made the drone at low speeds real loud. I betcha that is a computer fix. It wants to go into overdrive at 40 then dogs that makes the drone. Get rid of that by driving in town in tow haul mode to keep it from going into the high gear. Will keep you posted. These Michelins are smooth as shit but real expensive when I comes time to replace. I trade every two years so I wont be the one buying them.

Edited by gdadlow

what are these TAC#s never heard of that before. Is that like a TSB#??? Sounds like you got good results from this mysterious TAB stuff but what the heck is it??

Modified exhaust per TAC#71-1280001614

Four new Michelins Roadforce balance LF-16 RF-17 LR-15 RR-26

4 dampeners on exhaust. Vibration dampener mat per TAC #71-12880001614.

Installed sound dampening material around steering column and steering shaft to insulate.

Took for ride on asphalt and concrete mix and vibration seems to be gone. Now with it so quiet, it has made the drone at low speeds real loud. I betcha that is a computer fix. It wants to go into overdrive at 40 then dogs that makes the drone. Get rid of that by driving in town in tow haul mode to keep it from going into the high gear. Will keep you posted. These Michelins are smooth as shit but real expensive when I comes time to replace. I trade every two years so I wont be the one buying them.

These TAC numbers were on my work order. Ask the service mgr.