The acceleration vibration really is "normal" I think.

No, it isn't. My '06 Silverado does not have it, my '09 Impala does not have it, my brother's 2013 Infiniti G37 6MT does not have it, and my 2013 Chevy Sonic does not have it. The first two vehicles listed have automatic transmissions, the other two have manual transmissions.

Edited by pm26

Well guys. GM wasn't helpful. They closed the book on my vibration problem. I hope you have a great relationship with your dealer like I do. Now it is me and the dealer. Stop trying the stupid tires, rims, drive shaft, bull shit. My dealer has some ideas I am hip to that they are trying. I am assured that I will be ok in the end. God help you.

If you are talking to GM customer service you might as well talk to the cat's ass hole. Not going to get you anywhere. Call Pat at 866.790.5600 Ext 11586. Her breath smells like cat shit. Will keep you posted.

Greg

Last weekend I was trying to figure out how much the High Country vibrated and rode rough compared to the new wife's Z71. I looked for devices that would measure the vibration, they were all expensive.

Then it I had an idea, one of my hobbies is photography and a camera mounted rigidly on a vehicle will magnify the vibration.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55888666@N08/12733014584/

I am not sure we can post links on this forum, but above is the video.

Let me qualify it a bit. Mounted like this the camera would magnify vibration. The trucks do not vibrate this much but it I did it to give myself a comparison. Both cameras were mounted on the head rest mounts identically in both trucks.

The new Z71 4x4 is on the left, it has a 3.5" Rough Country lift and 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers. It has 1200 miles on the truck.

The right is the High Country with 285/55/20 Nitto Terra Grappelers. It has 5500 miles now.

Edit: I should point out that the trucks were driven on the same road about 30 minutes apart, the Z71 on the left is slightly ahead of the High Country. The Cruise on both is set at 40mph.

I took the truck in earlier this week. According to the dealers service department the ride is due to the rigid frame of the High Country. I am waiting to hear back through the Dealer from GM for an explanation as to why Chevy's top end truck rides so rough.

Edited by HDNitehawk

Mroma are you still on this forum? Did you swap from a chevy to gm, and also why did you pick the z71, was something said to you from GM that led you to swap into this model? I want out of mine, but not sure I want to get into another one that might also vibrate!

Last weekend I was trying to figure out how much the High Country vibrated and rode rough compared to the new wife's Z71. I looked for devices that would measure the vibration, they were all expensive.

Then it I had an idea, one of my hobbies is photography and a camera mounted rigidly on a vehicle will magnify the vibration.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55888666@N08/12733014584/

I am not sure we can post links on this forum, but above is the video.

Let me qualify it a bit. Mounted like this the camera would magnify vibration. The trucks do not vibrate this much but it I did it to give myself a comparison. Both cameras were mounted on the head rest mounts identically in both trucks.

The new Z71 4x4 is on the left, it has a 3.5" Rough Country lift and 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers. It has 1200 miles on the truck.

The right is the High Country with 285/55/20 Nitto Terra Grappelers. It has 5500 miles now.

Edit: I should point out that the trucks were driven on the same road about 30 minutes apart, the Z71 on the left is slightly ahead of the High Country. The Cruise on both is set at 40mph.

I took the truck in earlier this week. According to the dealers service department the ride is due to the rigid frame of the High Country. I am waiting to hear back through the Dealer from GM for an explanation as to why Chevy's top end truck rides so rough.

Did you show them this video? That should be some good proof for them.

Did you show them this video? That should be some good proof for them.

I gave it to the dealer with a nice letter about the vibration and ride. The dealers service guys still said the ride was because of the High Country's rigid frame versus the Z71's.

I also copied Chevy's news release they put out at the release of the High Country and underlined a few things. These are excerpts from Chevy's High Country news release;

"A fully boxed frame with the main rails and major cross members formed from high-strength steel provides a rigid base for maximum hauling capability, as well as greater noise and vibration isolation – contributing to the Silverado High Country’s balance of segment-best capability and industry-leading refinement.

The stiff chassis enables more precise tuning of the front and rear suspensions, giving the Silverado a more responsive feel with smoother performance and less vibration and shake, particularly on harsh terrain."

The ride I am getting from the High Country doesn't match Chevy's sales hype. I am waiting to see what GM says.

"A fully boxed frame with the main rails and major cross members formed from high-strength steel provides a rigid base for maximum hauling capability, as well as greater noise and vibration isolation – contributing to the Silverado High Country’s balance of segment-best capability and industry-leading refinement.

The stiff chassis enables more precise tuning of the front and rear suspensions, giving the Silverado a more responsive feel with smoother performance and less vibration and shake, particularly on harsh terrain." *

* It has lower noise and vibration levels than a WWII T-34 Russian tank.

Edited by pm26

Mine is now a couple of years older.... but I have to say... ALWAYS have had a vibration! I have had it to the dealer several times. Balance, re-balance the wheels, had a tire replace that was "believed to be the culprit" but nothing fixed!

My truck has done this since day one, with the original 20" chrome cladded wheels from factory (as ordered). I have to say, sadly getting used to it... My friends have trucks, I've been in them, I take note of smoothness and a quite ride. I have always had that 60 mph at times, but mostly over 65mph vibration that continues/increases with speed. Worse on a black top or asphalt expressway/highway... seems a bit smoother on the concrete type roadways for some reason. It just seems to not be as apparent.. even seems absent on these roads in many cases.

Bugs Me! Bugs Me! BUGS ME!!!! I am thinking, hoping that once I put some new tires on it, it may hopefully go away. I have thought that perhaps its the 20" wheel which is basically an aluminum wheel with a plastic wheel cover that is glued on. Maybe excessive glue I thought, as in globbed on too heavy on one side of the wheel... ? Maybe these wheels are prone to vibration due to a design flaw, uneven in weight distribution... I don't know!

I am also considering going with different wheels, eliminating the cladding wheel type. I would like to go with an all terrain type tire but am afraid that those may worse the problem. I may go with an all season high quality Michellin in hopes of resolving... if not, for the $$$, I will be more upset.

In an regard... there are issues! They should be resolved once and for all. At the dealer, they make you feel like the issue is just with your vehicle. I feel that there are many more of us out there... many just don't openly complain. But it's justifiable...

Mundfund,

I have the same exact issue as you're describing. Unfortunately I have this issue too and after 5 sets of tires and 2 sets of wheels, cladded and non cladded, they don't seem to have any impact on the vibration and as you said it's present at 65-up.

I gave it to the dealer with a nice letter about the vibration and ride. The dealers service guys still said the ride was because of the High Country's rigid frame versus the Z71's.

I also copied Chevy's news release they put out at the release of the High Country and underlined a few things. These are excerpts from Chevy's High Country news release;

The stiff chassis enables more precise tuning of the front and rear suspensions, giving the Silverado a more responsive feel with smoother performance and less vibration and shake, particularly on harsh terrain."

The ride I am getting from the High Country doesn't match Chevy's sales hype. I am waiting to see what GM says.

They are just blowing you off.. They ALL HAVE THE SAME FRAME.. only the suspension is different.. softer springs/shocks on the High Country which would (should) give it a smother ride...

Mundfund,

I have the same exact issue as you're describing. Unfortunately I have this issue too and after 5 sets of tires and 2 sets of wheels, cladded and non cladded, they don't seem to have any impact on the vibration and as you said it's present at 65-up.

Time to zero in on the driveshaft and the torque converter.