Yea we understand you have a problem, which is why you're venting here... It sucks but the only person who can help you here is GM at this point. Obviously your dealer can't figure it out so its time to take it somewhere else. I feel for you because I had a vibration too. Mine was a bad tire BC at first the vibration was in the wheel, and then I rotated the tires and problem followed the tires. I just took it in my own hands (not saying you do) to figure out what the problem was so I wouldn't have to deal with the dealer "troubleshooting" it. I told my dealer that it was the tires and they road forced 2 rears and one was more than twice the limit out of balance. Spending 45 k on my truck to feel like I was driving down a dirt road on the highway I was ticked too.

I have a new 2014 Silverado Z-71 with a vibration in the steering wheel and gas pedal. This is speed and road sensitive. On smoother roads the vibration is more pronounced. The dealer has looked at the truck, test drove, FB tires and conclusion was that "there is a 'sensation' and this is normal". The dealer even swapped wheels from another new truck, and stated "the vibration was so bad he had to pull over as he thought the lug nuts were loose". So original wheels were put back on. GM rep also drove the truck and states "this is one of the smoother trucks". All told, I am left with a new truck that has a vibration problem. It is not excessive, and therefore hard to pinpoint. I have read posts on the GM Forum, there are several owners experiencing the same issue.

Not sure of my next step. Other than this annoying vibration, love the truck....

First, what does FB tires mean?

Have you driven other new trucks on the dealers lot to see how they are? Try to only test trucks with same configuration as your's. By this I mean should have same tires/wheels, same suspension, same drive type, same engine, and same body style. If the vibration got severe with tire/wheels from other truck, leave those ones on and diagnose that issue. If lucky, the severe vibration will be your vibration only worse. Will make it a lot easier for the techs to diagnose.

Lemon laws have conditions that must be met, and the resultant buyback not "free". If all the trucks are having this issue, GM will address it and will apply fix no charge once they have a fix for it. It is not fun being the guinea pig, but, sometimes it pays off.

FB - force balance.

I have driven my friends 2104 Sierra equipped the same, and felt the vibration however not as pronounced. The dealer has driven a few different Silverado's from their lot, and claim they all have the same vibration - sensation as they call it. GM rep states the truck is 'as designed'. I must believe GM is aware of this problem but just does not have a fix at this time. I will keep trying though..

I read your post gdadlow about bluetooth dropping calls and xm stop working have you ever heard a snapping sound in dash ? Almost sounds like a small stone hitting the windshield.

I bought a 2014 High Country and it has done the same thing.

At first it would do it every 30 miles or so.

Two months and 5200 miles it does it rarely now. I only hear it every day or so.

It sounds like it is the window getting hit. I had my hand on the radio once when it did it. I could feel the pop.

I think it is the truck dash settling in.

I bought the wife a Z71 4x4 LTZ and have only heard it twice in 500 miles and it isn't as loud.

It seems to have gone away, either it was the cold weather or it just settles in.

My 2014 High Country has a bit of vibration on smooth roads in the steering wheel. It is two months old now, and I noticed it at all speeds when I first got the truck. I balanced the tires and now only feel it starting at 60-70 mph on smooth roads.

I have Nitto Terra Grapplers and thought maybe that was part of the issue. But I have run Nitto's on Chevy's now for 6 years and had no problem.

I bought the wife a Z71 4x4 LTZ Crew Cab Short Bed. Put a 3 lift and 305 Terra Grapplers. The two trucks mirror the drive of each other. Both have that subtle vibration at higher speeds.

I am going to have the dealer Road Force balance the tires again on the High Country. Then check the alignment of the shaft.

It has actually gotten smoother as it has broken in.

But I have a theory, to see what some of you think? The new electric power steering handles differently than the old style power steering. It seems more sensitive. I think that the vibration some of us are feeling is probably not much different than our old chevy's. It is just not dampened with the new electric power steering. Vibration in your hands is more noticeable than say vibration in your seat.

( A few things I have found that smooth out the vibration, set your air pressure to the recommended pressure in the door plate. Second; the telescoping steering column. I have found at certain settings it will have less vibration.)

If it was me, I would ask the dealer to show me how all the other trucks are doing this. Do these trucks all have the same tires? By that I mean all the same tread pattern. Have they tried different air pressure levels in the tires? For this I don't really care what is recommended, I am suggesting that as part of the diagnosis, not a fix, they try different pressures in the tires.

I think auto companies are walking a tight-rope when it comes to Noise, Vibration, Harshness (NVH). They all want to create a stiff chassis to reduce flexing. When they get it too stiff, NVH stops being absorbed and it is passed up the line to the operator. If this is a NVH issue, chances are GM will be finding some way to attach an attenuating device to likely the steering column or maybe firewall. The device may be a weight mounted in rubber.

Per GM engineer in Houston, new Road Force limit on tires is 14 instead of the old GM limit of 26. Good luck getting them to tell you the numbers or put them on the paperwork. My dealer refuses and my personal tire guy says they are lying about the tires each time because he checks them and the are still above 14.

Oh, and after 14 tires now and 9 road force attempts vibration is still present. I will admit that the truck does ride better now that the tire with 55 and 34 road force were replaced. That is to be expected with such horrible tires and high numbers. Don't think I will ever pay for Goodyears with my own money after this experience.

The dealer Road Force machine has been down for days.

I called the local tire shop and asked if they had a Road Force Machine. They did and I took it in.

All the tires were in spec, however they rearranged the tires for a better ride. Helped a small amount.

However---

The tire shop tells me that others have been bringing their 2014 in and they had several 2014 chevy's in today with the same problem.

The consensus seems to be that it is an electric power steering issue. The new system is transmitting to much of the road and truck vibration right in to the hand of the driver.

The dealer Road Force machine has been down for days.

I called the local tire shop and asked if they had a Road Force Machine. They did and I took it in.

All the tires were in spec, however they rearranged the tires for a better ride. Helped a small amount.

However---

The tire shop tells me that others have been bringing their 2014 in and they had several 2014 chevy's in today with the same problem.

The consensus seems to be that it is an electric power steering issue. The new system is transmitting to much of the road and truck vibration right in to the hand of the dri

Edited by gdadlow

Hey gdadlow,

I read your post yesterday about your vibration being fixed by balancing the driveshafts, but now your post is gone...is it fixed?

I pulled that post because on a longer drive, nothing had changed. Today I am calling GM and will let you know the outcome. I can't drive this truck any longer. Good luck.