Did you bring your truck to Quirk in Braintree mroma 23? Mine was there today, for the 4th time, been through all the road force balancing twice, replaced 2 tires, driveshaft spun 180 degrees, and it has only gotten worse, especially when it sits in the cold and I first drive it. The engineer drove mine today and said mine was in normal specs and nothing i wrong. I have 18" Goodyear Assurance.

I would love to know if those Michelin LTX's fix Dredds truck

Mark

Yes that is where it was serviced, I live up on the north shore so it was a pain but they had good deals. I am sorry that they can't fix it, I hope that it does go down that road for me. The fourth time is lemon law right? Did they ever say that they verified the vibration, i am guessing yes because they did all that work? There is a 15 days in the shop part too, all info available if you google mass lemon law.

I have the goodyear assurance too, idk what the difference is in the updated one, but i said tires from day one, the salesman even said he felt it on the first test drive and i made hime tell the managers there.

My only Michelin experience is with ltx ms2s i had on a nissan xterrs, awesome tires, no balance issues ever, wore like iron and gripped great, if this all works out and my truck is fixed once it is time for tires getting them again for sure.

Sorry they did not help you today, i will keep you posted on the repairs.

Mroma, The technician and foreman said they felt the vibration, the engineer today didn't acknowledge any vibration...I don't know how that could be, mine vibrates from 15 to 75mph, and if you let it sit for a day or 2 in the extreme cold and then drive it it will shake you out of the truck, yet some how he says its normal!

I have called GM and opened a case, and now have to wait for a response from Jeff or Patrick from Quirk, they know how unhappy I am with this whole process.

I'm hoping it doesn't have to go to lemon law.

To be honest with you Mark, Jeff seems like a reasonable enough guy and actually concerned about fixing this stuff, i would ask to swap wheels and tires from another truck and see how it does in the am after a cold soak, i mean what do they have to loose at this point? just a thought

mike

Jeff and Patrick are both trying to help, but say they have to go step by step, and said they aren't allowed to swap from another vehicle. I asked that multiple times, since to me that's the easiest way to troubleshoot this. if you have a truck on the lot with no vibration, then swap and see, but they can't or won't do that.

Jeff said with the case now open with GM, maybe they can replace all 4 tires and wheels, but we'll see....pretty bad when my 11 year old Dodge drove better than this truck!

hope yours is fixed, curious about the updated tires too?

Mark

yeah, I guess that maybe since i had a case open about two weeks ago then they have more freedom. I emailed gm and they called that night, then since it was taking to long to get things done i requested to be transferred to a district manager and she called or emailed jeff and they set the engineer up. We'll see what all this leads to.

mike

Did you bring your truck to Quirk in Braintree mroma 23? Mine was there today, for the 4th time, been through all the road force balancing twice, replaced 2 tires, driveshaft spun 180 degrees, and it has only gotten worse, especially when it sits in the cold and I first drive it. The engineer drove mine today and said mine was in normal specs and nothing i wrong. I have 18" Goodyear Assurance.

I would love to know if those Michelin LTX's fix Dredds truck

Mark

I will post up as soon as I get them on and test drive it.

Talked to service manager today from the dealership that sold me my truck, the GM field service engineer was there today working on multiple trucks with vibrations. He. told me that they found that all four tires were bad, after they drove them for a while the road force actually went up causing them to be out of spec, which is characteristic of my complaint that it seems to get worse the longer i drive. He also said that the engineer found the driveshaft out of balance wih his analyzer after the tires were changed to brand new updated goodyears (not to thrilled but if they don't vibrate all is good), he told me that he has the euipment to balamce the driveshaft and is doing it as we were speaking. He has to roadtest in the morning and will let me know how it goes. I am happy that they found problems and hopefully made the right repairs, i will have to drive it and see. wish me luck.

As far as the road to get the engineer to come out it took about a week for him to get to Boston area and i was told he was the only one who would be working on my truck, so lets see if it was worth the wait.

Idk why they could not have at least found the bad tires the first time?

Mike

Some years ago I bought a set of 4 Michelin MXV tires from Sears for my Mazda 626. Right from the start I experienced vibration problems that seemed to get worse the longer I drove. Rebalancing the tires multiple times did not help. Finally I tried rotating the tires and I immediately noticed that the vibration in the steering wheel was greatly reduced, but I felt more vibration in the seat. Well, the two of the tires that were originally in the front had some factory defect which caused the steel belts to shift as the tires got hot from driving, causing very unpleasant and persistent vibration. I got rid of the whole set, bought a set of Kumho Ecsta ASX and never had vibration problems in that car again. Not even after 339k miles on the clock. Curiously, a set Michelin Pilot tires I had on the same car previously, performed great. Go figure. You just never know what tires you are going to get today. Not all Michelins are good and not all Good Years are bad. I have had good luck with Korean made Kumho tires and will stay with them.

So this convinces me that there are indeed strange problems with some tires and there could be a batch of bad factory installed tires that get worse as they heat up while driving. Maybe some of you are experiencing exactly the same thing with the OEM tires on these trucks. I can understand your frustration, as vibration can absolutely ruin any enjoyment you normally get from a new car or truck.

Edited by pm26

PM26 I agree, tires can and are bad from the factory, when I was a Jaguar tech we used continentals all the time and the cheaper ones seemed to be one out of eight was bad out of the box. Then all of a sudden they were back ordered then boom no more issues once the new ones got there. Just trying to say that these things happen, a couple bad days of tire manufacturing can cause thousands of bad tires. I am truly hoping my truck that i have not even made a payment on and has been in the shop twice is fixed!

My only real frustration with the process is that I swore up and down it was tires to the dealer and they told me they checked out good. Now they are bad, but again these things happen.

In my short life no matter the make or manufacturer of anything there can and will be issues, I just wish it didn't happen on my truck. But if GM steps up and makes it right, hopefully I will love this truck for a long time

Mike

Edited by mroma23

One of my 20" Eagle LS2s had 29 lbs of road force. My vibration is only felt in the floor and gas pedal. I didn't think that it was tires at first because usually high road force causes steering vibration. The new one I put on had 26. The rest are 15 and under. When I drove it home the vibration was almost gone. Surprised only 3 lbs. less made such a difference. I'm going to try another one tomorrow to get it under spec and see if it improves more. My Chevy dealer would not acknowledge the vibration. Said they drove it 8 miles. When I picked it up the odometer had 1 mile more than when I dropped it off after they had it for 3 weeks. Hmmmm

Got a call from my dealer today. They are at a loss. They said they have checked everything on the truck (I don't think they have checked the balance on the driveshaft or the yokes etc) which I suggested and am waiting a call back on that). I feel fortunate enough to have a great dealer that has been helpful and they are working on discussing GM buyback options, I would really rather keep the truck I have but am not going to be making payments on a truck that shakes for 5 yrs.

Let me give you a bit of advice of a common mistake people make when they start having vehicle problem and they contemplate or actually stop making payment on the note, DO NOT DO IT!. Even if your vehicle note is through GM financial, your note and warranty issues are two different worlds and stopping payment on your note thinking it will leverage a result for your vehicle warranty issues is misguided. All it will do is ruin your credit.

Until you either "Lemon Law" it or find some other civil solution with GM on your vehicle, you have to keep your loan current on payments.

Let me give you a bit of advice of a common mistake people make when they start having vehicle problem and they contemplate or actually stop making payment on the note, DO NOT DO IT!. Even if your vehicle note is through GM financial, your note and warranty issues are two different worlds and stopping payment on your note thinking it will leverage a result for your vehicle warranty issues is misguided. All it will do is ruin your credit.

Until you either "Lemon Law" it or find some other civil solution with GM on your vehicle, you have to keep your loan current on payments.

Well said, and unfortunately that's the way it is when you finance your car or truck. The bank does not care about the problems you have with your vehicle, they do not even care if you have liability insurance coverage, all they mandate is collision and comprehensive coverage to protect their asset until the vehicle is paid off.

Edited by pm26

One of my 20" Eagle LS2s had 29 lbs of road force. My vibration is only felt in the floor and gas pedal. I didn't think that it was tires at first because usually high road force causes steering vibration. The new one I put on had 26. The rest are 15 and under. When I drove it home the vibration was almost gone. Surprised only 3 lbs. less made such a difference. I'm going to try another one tomorrow to get it under spec and see if it improves more. My Chevy dealer would not acknowledge the vibration. Said they drove it 8 miles. When I picked it up the odometer had 1 mile more than when I dropped it off after they had it for 3 weeks. Hmmmm

I doubt that a 3 lb reduction in road force variation would make any difference. More than likely they balanced the wheel better.

Keep in mind that even if youhad four perfectly round tires with zero road force variation, and some clown balanced them all wrong, you would still have bad vibration.

Edited by pm26

Well said, and unfortunately that's the way it is when you finance your car or truck. The bank does not care about the problems you have with your vehicle, they do not even care if you have liability insurance coverage, all they mandate is collision and comprehensive coverage to protect their asset until the vehicle is paid off.

Yup! It surprises me the amount of people that can not make the separation between the two. I have seen it drive people into bankruptcy because when they stop paying and the vehicle is repo'd and sold at auction for pennies on the dollar, the bank holding the note then goes back after the borrower for the difference between payoff with added repo fees and legal fees. Many times in the end, it way more than if just had kept paying the original note amount.

I doubt that a 3 lb reduction in road force variation would make any difference. More than likely they balanced the wheel better.

Keep in mind that even if youhad four perfectly round tires with zero road force variation, and some clown balanced them all wrong, you would still have bad vibration.

I'm the clown that balanced them.