When I first got my Silverado it was winter and when I got out of work it would shake and bounce for the first few miles so I had the tires changed to michelins and now it barely does it and only last about a 1/4 mile.

The other day when I took off after stopping at a red light the rear end of the truck felt like it was walking for a second then it quit. Very weird feeling.

I do have a vibration in my floorboard and accelerator pedal however, I'm thankful that I don't have the shakes that some of you guys have.

What do you mean the rear end felt like it was "walking." I get this weird sensation every now and then in the back end and the only way I can describe it is that it feels like the back end moves in a way as if the rear wheels are turning/steering like the front end....not battling the front end but rather complementing it as some luxury vehicles with rear wheel steering do. I dunno it's a weird feeling and doesn't happen often.

What do you mean the rear end felt like it was "walking." I get this weird sensation every now and then in the back end and the only way I can describe it is that it feels like the back end moves in a way as if the rear wheels are turning/steering like the front end....not battling the front end but rather complementing it as some luxury vehicles with rear wheel steering do. I dunno it's a weird feeling and doesn't happen often.

It felt like the left rear was ahead of the right and then the right was ahead of the left and then it quit, it was there and gone so quick, really hard to describe.

Trucks in previous years have had this issue of shaking on the highway as a a result of frame beaming. If you put 400-600 pounds of weight between the tailgate and the wheel tubs and the shaking on the highway goes away then you have frame beaming. If this is the case, then it is just a matter of time before GM redesigns the rear cab mounts.

I did this experiment about 3 months ago for frame beaming. I went to Home depot, bought 500 lbs of sand and same outcome... No difference at all.

I did this experiment about 3 months ago for frame beaming. I went to Home depot, bought 500 lbs of sand and same outcome... No difference at all.

I still have a strong feeling that most of the 70-80 MPH shaking people are experiencing is due to body and frame mounts. Assuming there are no drive train vibrations and tires are in round and RF balanced. I have Michelins RF balanced and no vibrations or shaking up until 70-80 MPH and even when it does occur it comes and goes depending on stretch of freeway. It is just a matter of time for GM engineers to come up with a fix for this.

I went to test drive a 2014 Silverado today because I was irritated they weren't going to offer the Topaz Blue in the 2015s. Sure enough it vibrated right when you hit about 65 MPH. It wasn't super noticable. I took a water bottle to compare to some of the youtube videos I've seen. It was exactly the same. Honestly it was a bit more mild than I was expecting but I definitely noticed it because I was looking for it. Wasn't loud or anything. Honestly if I'd never read this forum I wouldn't have noticed.

I had brough this up to the sales person before the test drive and he said he hadn't heard of the issue. Actually he wanted me to take to prove it didn't do that and sure enough when I hit about 65 there it was. I said do you feel that. He said barely and that he thought it was normal.

Obviously this is a sample size of one, but have a feeling that almost all of them have it. Some people just don't notice or care and it's probably a lot more extreme on certain trucks than others. But I bet there are ton more people out there that just think it's normal.

I really hope they get this fixed. I'm really sitting on the fence of purchasing because of it. Probably going to test drive a few more and see how common it is among the trucks around here.

New body or frame mounts would only mask a true engineering fault. Our vibrating trucks have a design flaw in one or more of the driveline parts that is causing this problem. I have 6k miles now on my truck and the vibration has gotten worse, so I agree with others who have said this will eventually cause other structural parts to fail, and someone is going to get killed if it occurs at 75mph. I am convinced its transmission and or torque converter related. My truck got dropped off today and I am pressing that route for them to pursue GM in terms of targeting for new parts. I have tried almost everything else others have on this forum. The vibration has gotten worse and is now present past 80mph and below 70mph at certains speeds, which was not the case earlier. Also I notice it now in my steering wheel whereas before it was mostly in seat and console. It is definitely worse when temps are hotter like above 80 than in 60's. The transmission in this truck is always looking for the next highest gear, clunks a lot at speeds below 40mph and just feels like a 20yr old transmission trying to work with a 2014 driveline and engine. Best way I can describe it. I also read that GM is trying to fast track improvements into the 2015 1500 one of which is an 8 speed transmission...Very suspicious if you ask me. Like they know they have a problem and that is their way to fix it. That would bode very poorly for those of us with 2014 6speeds that may be faulty. I will let you know what happens this time. I am considering a possible buyback if this can't be fixed.

I'm not sure of the extent of everyone's shaking or vibrating on the highway, but if it is only slight and can be felt in the seat backs like it is coming from the rear this is more than likely due to no weight in the bed with stiff leaf spring suspension and stiffer frames.Hence why better body mounts would probably help everyone who isn't carrying weight in the bed of their truck and complaiNing it's not riding as smooth as a passenger car. It is frame beaming people are experiencing. If it were driveline related you would have other issues at lower speeds or while accelerating.

• Like 1

I'm not sure of the extent of everyone's shaking or vibrating on the highway, but if it is only slight and can be felt in the seat backs like it is coming from the rear this is more than likely due to no weight in the bed with stiff leaf spring suspension and stiffer frames.Hence why better body mounts would probably help everyone who isn't carrying weight in the bed of their truck and complaiNing it's not riding as smooth as a passenger car. It is frame beaming people are experiencing. If it were driveline related you would have other issues at lower speeds or while accelerating.

complaining that our trucks are vibrating.....wow...the balls... ive had nothing but gm trucks 05 3/4 ton 4x4 cc sb Duramax, 07 1/2 ton z71 4x4 cc sb, 08 Denali awd, 07 3/4 ton ext cab long bed... NONE of them have vibrated, and since when do you buy a truck with the assumption that you have to carry 1/3 of the trucks payload to have a good ride? Were not talking about cab and chasis 1 ton duallies here.. were talking about daily driver 1/2 tons that have been very poorly engineered at best.

complaining that our trucks are vibrating.....wow...the balls... ive had nothing but gm trucks 05 3/4 ton 4x4 cc sb Duramax, 07 1/2 ton z71 4x4 cc sb, 08 Denali awd, 07 3/4 ton ext cab long bed... NONE of them have vibrated, and since when do you buy a truck with the assumption that you have to carry 1/3 of the trucks payload to have a good ride? Were not talking about cab and chasis 1 ton duallies here.. were talking about daily driver 1/2 tons that have been very poorly engineered at best.

As I said before I'm not sure of other people's extent of vibrating or shaking. I also do not think that a half ton commuter should have shakes or vibrations. I'm simply stating that I believe some people think their half ton truck is going to be as smooth as an impala on the highway and they simply aren't. They have detached boxes with stiff frames and leaf spring suspension. It is a first year redesign none the less.

I went to test drive a 2014 Silverado today because I was irritated they weren't going to offer the Topaz Blue in the 2015s. Sure enough it vibrated right when you hit about 65 MPH. It wasn't super noticable. I took a water bottle to compare to some of the youtube videos I've seen. It was exactly the same. Honestly it was a bit more mild than I was expecting but I definitely noticed it because I was looking for it. Wasn't loud or anything. Honestly if I'd never read this forum I wouldn't have noticed.

I had brough this up to the sales person before the test drive and he said he hadn't heard of the issue. Actually he wanted me to take to prove it didn't do that and sure enough when I hit about 65 there it was. I said do you feel that. He said barely and that he thought it was normal.

Obviously this is a sample size of one, but have a feeling that almost all of them have it. Some people just don't notice or care and it's probably a lot more extreme on certain trucks than others. But I bet there are ton more people out there that just think it's normal.

I really hope they get this fixed. I'm really sitting on the fence of purchasing because of it. Probably going to test drive a few more and see how common it is among the trucks around here.

You do know that the salesman is going to tell you exactly what you want to hear to make the sale, right?

Some people didn't notice the shake/vibration when they first purchased however after a few hundred miles it got worse or started becoming noticeable.

Edited by 14LTZZ71

My 2012 EC Silverado was smooth. No vibes at all.

From what Im reading about frame beaming it ususally involves equally spaced expansion joints on concrete roads at 40 to 60. My 2014 shakes on completely smooth asphalt interstate highways at 65 and up.

From; http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/80-suspension-steering-2001-2010/272124-gmc-hd-suspension-bounce-expansion-joints.html

""GM Campaign #PIT3009J: Suspension Vibration Or Frame Beaming At 40-60 MPH (64-80KM/H) - keywords front rear shake shock spring tire - (Sept 18,2008)""

Condition/Concern:

Beam shake vibration is usually felt and occurring at speeds between 40-50 mph (64-80 km/h). Hertz readings using an EVA tool are normally bewtween 8-24 HZ. This condition is most common on extended cab and crew cab models but has also been noted in other models.

Recommendation/Instructions:

The severity of the beam shake may vary from vehicle to vehicle. To determine if the concern is beam shake, please perform the following:

1. Test drive vehicle to confirm the condition. A beam shake condition will usually respond to concrete type pavements more than asphalt, so the vehicle should be driven over both surfaces if possible.

2. Place 200-500 pounds in the pickup bed between the closed tailgate and the wheel wells. A beaming condition should dissipate.

-----------

If the concern is determined to be beam shake, this a characteristic of the vehicle. GM Engineering has released updated body mounts to reduce this concern for the Crew and Extended Cab Models. There will be no changes made to the Regular Cab Models.

FOR CREW AND EXTENDED CAB MODELS, REPLACE THE REAR CAB MOUNTS WITH UPDATED PARTS LISTED BELOW. THESE PARTS SHOULD NOT BE USED ON REGULAR CAB MODELS.

New upper and lower mounts should be installed at the left and right rear cab position. The new LOWER mount is a two-piece design, meaning there is a rubber mount with a metal washer. Some models may use a one piece lower mount, meaning the rubber mount has a metal washer molded into it. If the vehicle has the one-piece lower mount design, washers (PN 15854745, Qty 2) will be needed to be used with the new lower mount.

Upper Mount 25791031 Qty 2

Lower Mount 25791032 Qty 2

Washer 15854745 Qty 2 (if needed)

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and ccomplete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Edited by mikeinmobileal

You do know that the salesman is going to tell you exactly what you want to hear to make the sale, right?

Some people didn't notice the shake/vibration when they first purchased however after a few hundred miles it got worse or started becoming noticeable.

Of course. I trust no salesman. Just relaying that the one I drove was a vibrator and the common "it's normal" theme.