Apparently you have nothing wrong with your truck, and yes I expected more out of a 50k truck. Before making comments like this remember that some people save for a long time to buy one of these trucks and others make years of payments.

According to GM they put ...what was it....millions of test miles on this truck. I am willing to bet they knew about the majority of the problems with this truck before it was released, if not, their testing is BS.

Mine is financed...

It has the vibration issue, seat popping, and horrible FM reception issues.

However, the rest of the truck is freaking awesome. I just took a 1200 mile trip and averaged 21.5 MPG doing 70-75 on interstate. It pulls my 5000lb boat exceptionally well.

I guess I am just a little more realistic than you. I KNEW THE RISK I WAS TAKING BUYING A FIRST YEAR TRUCK! I think they will find a fix for all the issues.

That may be how you test it but it is definitely not a permanent fix.

This would be a good poll. If you went to buy a new 40 - 50k truck and the salesperson said, "oh by the way, we balance our drive shafts by clamping weights to them with hose clamps, yes that's right, hose clamps, oh yes sir, it's how we permanently affix the weight to the shaft". Would you buy it.

Unbelievable!!!

No kidding. I was trying to put this in perspective. I have a 2012 Corvette. I wonder if I had a vibration on that if the Chevy dealer would think it would be acceptable to use hose clams on the spinning parts to cure the problem. I highly doubt ANY Vette owner would accept that as a fix. I certainly wouldn't and won't on the truck. If it's temporary, then I'm cool but they gave and truck back as "completed".

It's still unacceptable regardless of your age. 21 year old with a 2014 GM full size pickup, congrats, I hope it all works out for you.

I know it's unacceptable, regardless of age. Just that's the truth, younger people don't get treated with the same respect as someone who is older I find.

Mine is financed...

It has the vibration issue, seat popping, and horrible FM reception issues.

However, the rest of the truck is freaking awesome. I just took a 1200 mile trip and averaged 21.5 MPG doing 70-75 on interstate. It pulls my 5000lb boat exceptionally well.

I guess I am just a little more realistic than you. I KNEW THE RISK I WAS TAKING BUYING A FIRST YEAR TRUCK! I think they will find a fix for all the issues.

Your more realistic than me, your posts are very confusing. It's hard to tell what your point of view is, people shouldn't complain about the problems with their brand new vehicle or the crappy service they are getting from some of the dealerships, some people have to beg their dealer to receive corrective actions. GM field rep repairs a brand new truck by balancing the drive shaft with a weight and some HOSE CLAMPS. Why do you even read these threads, ok, I give up, I will be passive and allow you to win......this is not going to be one of those "Kumbaya" moments that you yearn for.....what a joke
  • Like 1

Brand loyalty is one thing but stop the madness. I have been a loyal GM customer since the 90's. I currently own two GM products. Before these two I owned two others, and before those two others.

I just want GM to own up and stop telling dealers to tell the customers that everything is normal or operating as designed or if there's not a code or a check engine light nothing's wrong.

Instead of giving us the run around I would rather they say, "yes, we know about all these issues and our engineers are working on solutions, it may take some time, we don't want our customers to feel like we don't care or aren't working on solutions."

If anybody thinks they have found a problem with this vehicle that GM didn't know about you are sadly mistaken. They put tons of test miles on this vehicle, they know all of the problems.

EXAMPLE : It's impossible for them to put all of those miles on a vehicle and didn't know that the radio reception is crappy and cuts in and out constantly, yes I know for some people that is a minor issue but for others it's not.

EXAMPLE : It's impossible for them to put all of those miles on a vehicle and didn't know that the radio reception is crappy and cuts in and out constantly, yes I know for some people that is a minor issue but for others it's not.

^^^ THIS, I agree with 100%. They had to have noticed the seat and the radio.....

For anyone who has been talking about RF balancing of the tires not fixing the vibration I strongly recommend ditching the factory Goodyears and buying a higher quality tire such as Michelin. The factory tires are mass produced and bought at a cheaper price by GM and often times out of round and won't balance properly. Honestly even 2 out of the 4 new Michelins I purchased were out of spec and weren't going to balance properly so they had to order 2 more. Michelins RF balanced in the low teens and all my vibration issues are gone.

No kidding. I was trying to put this in perspective. I have a 2012 Corvette. I wonder if I had a vibration on that if the Chevy dealer would think it would be acceptable to use hose clams on the spinning parts to cure the problem. I highly doubt ANY Vette owner would accept that as a fix. I certainly wouldn't and won't on the truck. If it's temporary, then I'm cool but they gave and truck back as "completed".

Ya know, the unfortunate thing about this thing is....now nobody can say with any certainty if the new ring and pinion gears were the fix on your truck. If they had put in the new gears and driven it as is it would have been nice. There's a possibility that the drive shaft being properly balanced on the vehicle fixed everything. All in all, what matter most is that the truck is fixed but this sort of tells me that each truck is being looked at as an individual case and not as a potential fix for all the trucks out there with vibration issues. My drive shaft was balanced with hose clamps, and it might have fixed a little bit of the issue but I still have a lot of vibrating / pulsating which is really unacceptable. Honestly I feel like something is about to break and I've avoided driving long distances, day trips, etc because of it. Not at all what I want to be doing with a brand new truck. It's really begun to be depressing.

Its definitely depressing! I've been dealing with this for 5 months. Today I get an "offer sheet" from gm on a repurchase. They still make out and get more money from u.

Its definitely depressing! I've been dealing with this for 5 months. Today I get an "offer sheet" from gm on a repurchase. They still make out and get more money from u.

If GM is offering a buy-back, I'd go for it. Even if you buy another Silverado/Sierra, the chances of getting another truck with the vibration issue are about 20%. From what I've been reading from polls here on this forum and others, about 80% of all 2014 owners are having NO vibration issues at all. (But I would take the new one for the weekend first just to make sure.)

If GM is offering a buy-back, I'd go for it. Even if you buy another Silverado/Sierra, the chances of getting another truck with the vibration issue are about 20%. From what I've been reading from polls here on this forum and others, about 80% of all 2014 owners are having NO vibration issues at all. (But I would take the new one for the weekend first just to make sure.)

I might go look at a ford tonight. GM is going to get more money off of me?!? No f@&$ing way. I'll never buy another government motors product!

I might go look at a ford tonight. GM is going to get more money off of me?!? No f@&$ing way. I'll never buy another government motors product!

There are a lot of people, especially the ones who are posting in this thread, that feel that way. There are always problems with first-model-year vehicles. Some are easy fixes, some not. This vibration issue is a big deal. Hoping they get it fixed soon.

Hi, my name is Jeff and I have been battling with an intermittent drive line vibration since almost day 1 on my 2014 GM 1500 2wd 4dr short bed. I have played with drive line angles, tire balance, and anything else I could think of until finally I found the issue.

To give you a bit more information, I actually found 3 different vibrations. 1) when the engine drops from v8 to 4cyl mode, the engine will shake noticeably like the engine is misfiring. This is normal due to the engine now running on 4 cylinders instead of 8 to save gas. 2) The tires have to have a true, full width balance or a full body shake will be experienced at freeway speeds. The whole truck shakes and even vibrates the side mirrors till they get blurry. (A static balance will not cut it, the wheels need a weights in two different spots) 3) The intermittent drive line vibration. I took my drive shaft to a drive line place to have the balance checked, when spinning up on the balancer, I could hear something inside the drive shaft bouncing around until just the right RPM and then the object stopped moving and the drive shaft was out of balance. We stopped the drive shaft and re-spun it. The same noise was heard and when the object stopped moving, the machine required a different amount of weight to balance the shaft. Each time we spun up the drive shaft, a different weight was required and some times no weight. What I found out is that there is a sound resonator in the drive shaft that prevents noise from resonating through the drive line, some drive line manufacturers use a cardboard cylinder with a seem cut in it and others use a rubberized foam. both are compressed, shoved into the driveshaft, and then are supposed to re-coil and fit tight. Based on the sound, it sounds like my drive shaft resonator was made of cardboard and has been progressively breaking apart every time I drive the truck. I have since taken my truck into the dealer and they are replacing the drive shaft. Hopefully this will be the end of this problem. I posted this in hopes that it could help others out there.

• Like 2

In reference to full width balance on the tires, do you mean balance weights placed on the inside and out side of the wheels? Years ago when I would have new tires installed I always insisted that the weights be placed on the outside and inside of the wheel and I never had an issue. If the installer was lazy or just ignorant and placed the weights on one side only it always resulted in a shaky ride. How did you find out about the cardboard resonator in the d/s? That's new to me. BTW, mine doesn't the dreaded shake.

Edited by beetle

Ya know, the unfortunate thing about this thing is....now nobody can say with any certainty if the new ring and pinion gears were the fix on your truck. If they had put in the new gears and driven it as is it would have been nice. There's a possibility that the drive shaft being properly balanced on the vehicle fixed everything. All in all, what matter most is that the truck is fixed but this sort of tells me that each truck is being looked at as an individual case and not as a potential fix for all the trucks out there with vibration issues. My drive shaft was balanced with hose clamps, and it might have fixed a little bit of the issue but I still have a lot of vibrating / pulsating which is really unacceptable. Honestly I feel like something is about to break and I've avoided driving long distances, day trips, etc because of it. Not at all what I want to be doing with a brand new truck. It's really begun to be depressing.

I certainly understand. But we do know that the original ring was out of spec and the new one had 10,000th clearance all the way around. There is no doubt that the shaft had something to do with the vibe as well or they wouldn't have clamped it. I didn't have time to call the dealer today but I will expect a new shaft from the factory "balanced" or take mine to a shop and get it balanced right.

I was thinking about this whole thing today on the way to work and I don't think in my adult life I have ever dealt with such an issue. It really is unthinkable and for GM to not acknowledge even here is bizarre to say the least. I'm sure they avoid hornets nests but still......message us on the side. Something....?