Bought my 14 Silverado 2WD CC, 5.3, 3:42, GY LSA 20s, last Sat 7/12/14. I did some research prior to buying and read a bit about vibration, so I took it on the interstate before I bought it. Traffic was thick so I was only able to hit 65 or higher for a few seconds at a time. 20 minute drive and no vibes noticed. Went back and swung the deal, traded my 12 Silverado 2WD Ext, 5.3, never had a prob with that truck.

On the 30 min drive home with the new 14, the vibes started in. Vibrates from 68 up through 85, havent gone faster yet. Drove it home that Sat eve, went for a longish drive on Sun over various roads, rough, smooth etc. Rough roads mask the vibe, smooth roads really let it rip. Shakes the seats, pedals, console, and makes groceries rustle in the bags on the back seat. Feels like its coming from under the rear of the truck. Wow. At 71 its the worst. I get a knot in my stomach the last week just thinking that I may have spent 40K+ for a headache.

Took it back to the dealer today. Service manager rode with me and felt the vibe. Said it was "pronounced" and said he understood why I wasnt happy with it, said he wouldnt be happy either. He said they had already fixed one with the same prob. Said the other truck had a bad tire. His explanation was that the tires were "flat spotted" from sitting since the trucks were built. He explained the RF balancing procedure and was confident that they would find a bad tire and replace it. I sure hope so.

They gave me a loaner/demo 14 2WD CC, 5.3, 3:42, GY Assurance Fuel Max 18s, over 4K mi. Thing rides like a Caddy. Flat and smooth up thru 80, No vibes at all. Sure hope my truck rides this good someday.

Got the truck back tonight. Drum roll........ Fixed. No vibration.

Before I took it in you could stand on it from a stop and from 20 to 37 you would have a launch vibration and then it would go away until 67-68ish then vibrate all the way to 98.

You do this now and no vibration at all to 98. I have to say I am nervous to post this as I have only driven it about 40 miles but it is not the same as before and if it maintains, I want to put this issue behind me and never deal with it again... Service manage has been GREAT at my dealer. Bob Brown GMC. Could not be happier with them.

The FSE was the one who put the truck back together and then did the balancing. For the record so you don't have to back track; New ring and pinion. Old one was 8000ths 3/4 of the way around it then went to 2000ths. The GM FSE has replaced others and actually in our area about 8. After the re installation of the ring and pinion they balanced the driveline. It was 2 ounces off. The shop Forman and GM FSE took it for a test drive and said it was as smooth as any they had ever been in. Again, I don't want to be to premature but it really does seem like a different truck and is like glass..... I certainly hope to not have to deal with this again. I also hope all of you get yours fixed. -All the best!

Chappy....

Chappy... I've been following this thread since day one. I hate that these problems exist, even though My truck is not one of the victims.

I do appreciate the "play-by-play" announcements of what has been happening.

I am extremely happy for you that the problem is fixed!!! I also admire your perseverance in not giving up on this! There is always a solution to every problem. :thumbs:

Edited by Luster
  • Like 2

I am with you Luster. If man a can build then a man can fix it. Just sucks the games and hoops you have to go through first sometimes.

Glad you got it fixed man. Enjoy that truck.

• Like 2

I am with you Luster. If man a can build then a man can fix it. Just sucks the games and hoops you have to go through first sometimes.

Glad you got it fixed man. Enjoy that truck.

Yeah, I'm really hoping this is the fix and GM comes out with a TSB for anyone with the vibration issue, to replace the ring & pinion!

It would speak volumes about GM if they would announce.... "If you are having vibration, we have the answer"!

Obviously, still needs to be tested and proven, but let's keep fingers crossed this is it!

• Like 1

Awesome news! Sounds like yours is fixed. Any idea what the field engineers name is? I may want him fixing mine!!

The field engineers name or at least his last name is Yoder. I think his first is Dave but I am not certain. They always just called him by his last name so....... I will ask my dealers service manager today as he wanted me to call him and give feedback on the truck.

Thanks again guys for all the support and positive comments. I've never done anything like this before (reaching out to a blog) but it sure helped me and I hope others.

I agree...if man built it man can fix it. However...getting them to fix it is the real problem that just seems to drag out for months. From a customer service standpoint it's unacceptable. I go in for my 4th trip next Wed, and they want to replace shocks. Ugh. I'm mentioning that a Ring and Pinion swap has fixed two trucks that I know of, and that I want the ring gear inspected on mine. Very frustrating. Real glad for Chappy though....I hope ya go on a nice long, smooth ride this weekend and can really enjoy that truck now!!

I agree...if man built it man can fix it. However...getting them to fix it is the real problem that just seems to drag out for months. From a customer service standpoint it's unacceptable. I go in for my 4th trip next Wed, and they want to replace shocks. Ugh. I'm mentioning that a Ring and Pinion swap has fixed two trucks that I know of, and that I want the ring gear inspected on mine. Very frustrating. Real glad for Chappy though....I hope ya go on a nice long, smooth ride this weekend and can really enjoy that truck now!!

If I were you man I would really push for them to look at your rear end. It's not the shocks......they're only wasting your time looking at those. The function of a shock is to dampen bouncing of the vehicle when it hits bumps or potholes and things like that. They basically settle the "recoil" the vehicle experiences after hitting bumps and things like that. If you are driving on a smooth road and the truck vibrates, it's not your shocks because your shocks aren't hardly doing anything on a flat smooth road, they're just sitting there waiting for the next bump in the road. But a steady vibration at high speeds on smooth road.....that's driveline related. Or at least NOT shock related anyway.

Edited by Silverado-Hareek

Glad to see some progress in this issue. Every time I drive my truck I try to see if I have even a slight vibe....cant even conjure one up in my mind. She rides smooth like butter. I would be just as angry, annoyed as some of the people in this thread if mine vibrated.

• Like 1

Glad to see some progress in this issue. Every time I drive my truck I try to see if I have even a slight vibe....cant even conjure one up in my mind. She rides smooth like butter. I would be just as angry, annoyed as some of the people in this thread if mine vibrated.

Yup... same here, but I keep following the thread and I keep "feeling" for vibration every day when I drive! So far, so good, "smooth as butter".

If it does happen, I'm taking them directly to page 153 of this thread for the answer!!!

Edited by Luster

Ya know, it would almost be worth printing out all 154 pages of this thread and taking it to the dealership and SHOWING THEM THE FIX ON PAGE 153!

I know that service managers hate being undermined by "civilians" who don't know dick, but in this case, we do!

• Like 1

Ya know, it would almost be worth printing out all 154 pages of this thread and taking it to the dealership and SHOWING THEM THE FIX ON PAGE 153!

I know that service managers hate being undermined by "civilians" who don't know dick, but in this case, we do!

I got news for you, service managers don't know dick either. The only people that know anything are the guys getting their hands dirty working on these trucks. I'd love to bypass all service reps and service managers and talk to the mechanics directly.

• Like 2

I got news for you, service managers don't know dick either. The only people that know anything are the guys getting their hands dirty working on these trucks. I'd love to bypass all service reps and service managers and talk to the mechanics directly.

Absolutely! :thumbs:

I have a 2014 1500 I purchased june 2nd, felt vibration since day one but has 2600 miles now, couldn't take it anymore. same issues going on here. they have replaced a partially seized front axle and a bent drive shaft so far. Thursday they called me and said come get the truck, GM knows there is a problem but has no fix! So, yesterday I called the Better Business Bureau and filed a claim against GM. I had a call from GM legal within 6 hours. They are handling my case now. I am asking for a replacement. I hope this gets resolved soon.

• Like 1

Chappy I couldn't be happier to hear that you have a resolution. I finally reached GM customer service, although they don't get very specific they did agree I should go back to the dealer I have been working who opened the original service case about the vibration. I then called the dealer and spoke to the service manager. Now keep in mind this is a dealer who I didn't buy the truck from, but learned about after from a friend and have had a good experience with. Good meaning they admitted right away there was a problem, and have tried multiple (see previous posts for the list) parts, over two extended service visits including driveshaft, with no success. The service mgr on Friday said right away GM is very much aware of the vibration problem, and in fact there was a GM field tech at their dealer the day before to explain how GM is using a new harmonic vibration tool to try to pinpoint the problem. The GM tech left to go to a Chevy dealer in the area (this was a GMC dealer) to specifically look at 4 different Silverado's, and apparently a couple of full size SUV's that had the vibration! So the cat's out of the bag with GM on this and they are trying to help, which hopefully means it's a matter of time, and not getting completely ignored by them. The service mgr when I told him of your ring and pinion fix, said they have tried that along with new driveshaft, and in one truck an entire rear end, including balancing the new shaft and it DID NOT fix those two trucks. I discussed the idea after all the has been attempted and documented on this post, that evidence is pointing towards the transmission and or torque converter, and he admitted this new tranny is "sloppy" in short and that they hadn't tried replacing one yet as a solution. He said he wanted to hear back from the GM field tech who was going to come back to his dealer after addressing those 4 Chevy trucks I mentioned at another dealership, and see what new information GM had learned, hopefully next week. I made sure to ask him to mention the transmission characteristics as possible source and he said he would. He also asked me to send him the link of this post given the vast amt of information here, which I did. Bottom line, glad it was the solution for you, but sounds like it has not been for other cases, and it seems like we've helped narrow this down to a driveline generated harmonic vibration, which GM is aware of and working with certain dealers to fix. So while I don't yet have a date to drop off my truck yet, until the dealer has more info from that field tech, I feel better about eventually getting this resolved in the not too distant future. I will of course continue to update the post with any info I get, and hopefully everyone else will do the same. It seems all of our voices have at the least made it back to GM. Good luck

Chappy I couldn't be happier to hear that you have a resolution. I finally reached GM customer service, although they don't get very specific they did agree I should go back to the dealer I have been working who opened the original service case about the vibration. I then called the dealer and spoke to the service manager. Now keep in mind this is a dealer who I didn't buy the truck from, but learned about after from a friend and have had a good experience with. Good meaning they admitted right away there was a problem, and have tried multiple (see previous posts for the list) parts, over two extended service visits including driveshaft, with no success. The service mgr on Friday said right away GM is very much aware of the vibration problem, and in fact there was a GM field tech at their dealer the day before to explain how GM is using a new harmonic vibration tool to try to pinpoint the problem. The GM tech left to go to a Chevy dealer in the area (this was a GMC dealer) to specifically look at 4 different Silverado's, and apparently a couple of full size SUV's that had the vibration! So the cat's out of the bag with GM on this and they are trying to help, which hopefully means it's a matter of time, and not getting completely ignored by them. The service mgr when I told him of your ring and pinion fix, said they have tried that along with new driveshaft, and in one truck an entire rear end, including balancing the new shaft and it DID NOT fix those two trucks. I discussed the idea after all the has been attempted and documented on this post, that evidence is pointing towards the transmission and or torque converter, and he admitted this new tranny is "sloppy" in short and that they hadn't tried replacing one yet as a solution. He said he wanted to hear back from the GM field tech who was going to come back to his dealer after addressing those 4 Chevy trucks I mentioned at another dealership, and see what new information GM had learned, hopefully next week. I made sure to ask him to mention the transmission characteristics as possible source and he said he would. He also asked me to send him the link of this post given the vast amt of information here, which I did. Bottom line, glad it was the solution for you, but sounds like it has not been for other cases, and it seems like we've helped narrow this down to a driveline generated harmonic vibration, which GM is aware of and working with certain dealers to fix. So while I don't yet have a date to drop off my truck yet, until the dealer has more info from that field tech, I feel better about eventually getting this resolved in the not too distant future. I will of course continue to update the post with any info I get, and hopefully everyone else will do the same. It seems all of our voices have at the least made it back to GM. Good luck

AW22-

Good to know. Keep us all posted as I'm still following this. Glad to hear GM has acknowledged "somewhat" that they have an issue. As a business owner myself, I'm ok if there is an issue just as long as you "own it". Meaning- Just admit there is a problem and we are working on a solution. Everyone makes mistakes. Not everyone lies or hides. Character goes a long way in my book. Just own the situation.

Again, keep us all posted on what you find out and I'm still as nervous as a hooker in church but hoping the vibe doesn't come back. LOL

All the best guys!

Chappy