The 2500 series share the same 6 speed trannys?

Is there any differences except gearing lower for more torque.

I have talked with some 2500 owners as well 1500 owners and most of the people I have spoken with have no issues with vibrations.

This all points to quality control issues, machining, assembly, and fastener torque control!

Stacking tolerances and possibly a bad machined tranny, is the monster here.

Edited by 2strokesmoke

That makes total sense. Here's why I think you guys are right..... In my other posts I have said that a crosswind can induce or even increase the vibration. This tells me this issue has something to do with the computer reading pressure on the vehicle and trying to adjust the flow of fluid going into the tranny or making adjustments to the torque converter. Just last Friday I had this same conversation with the service manager at the dealership and both of us were headed down this road. (No pun). Either way, I am done screwing around with it. Again, I love the look of the truck but can't stand the vibration. I am very happy that I found this blog and have been able to share knowledge back and forth. I encourage anyone else with their truck to sign in and share their experiences. Knowledge is power and the more we all share the sooner this problem will be solved. "You're welcome GM...." LOL

The 2500 series share the same 6 speed trannys?

Is there any differences except gearing lower for more torque.

I have talked with some 2500 owners as well 1500 owners and most of the people I have spoken with have no issues with vibrations.

This all points to quality control issues, machining, assembly, and fastener torque control!

Stacking tolerances and possibly a bad machined tranny, is the monster here.

GM still trying to get an answer for that. Should not be easy/cheap...

I have all type of vibrations (accelerating from a standing 40mph, 70mph...)

It's a GMC SLT CrewCab 5.3 3.42 4x4 Z71. 20" GY SRA

Drove a loaner that had just 15miles. 80% better regarding vibration, not smooth as glass but you can live with that. But mine also was ok, but was getting worse after 2.000miles... what makes me thinking that this loaner will have the same problem in a couple of months.

And the loaner was a complete different animal: DoubleCab, V6, 4x2, no-Z71 20" Continental...

Went for a test drive with the service manager today who noted the vibration (but was sure to say it was very "slight"), what sounded to be a tire out of balance on the right front, and a clunk in the transmission while doing 45 mph. They will be doing a RFB on the tires (at my cost because they are aftermarket) but it appears they are not going to even address the clunk because it was...are you ready..."normal." Not kidding. I even mentioned multiple bulletins on the transmission and was told looking for TSB's was their job.

I doubt it will be fixed and then it will be on to the General Manager and Service Director before calling GM.

After buying two new Silverados and a Cruze the past 4 years from this dealership, I would expect to be treated with a little more courtesy. I understand if you don't know how to fix it, just don't tell me you aren't going to try.

quote name="BR-TEXAS" post="1469680" timestamp="1403542071"]

Drove a loaner that had just 15miles. 80% better regarding vibration, not smooth as glass but you can live with that. But mine also was ok, but was getting worse after 2.000miles... what makes me thinking that this loaner will have the same problem in a couple of months.

And the loaner was a complete different animal: DoubleCab, V6, 4x2, no-Z71 20" Continental...

The v6 has the 6 speed transmission also, this is another point, this problem is across the board on all models with this tranny.

Folks have tried different tires different rear ends different driveshafts, different exhausts.....this is an issue with this tranny! Anyone out there know or has a tranny tech as a friend who can lend a hand with knowledge of this transmission.

I'm starting to get on board with this transmission theory. The leaky seal/pressure idea makes complete sense because my steering wheel vibration doesn't seem to be consistent with temperature increases anymore as summer progresses. It still seems to come and go and is fluctuating independent of outside temperatures now.

Although as I type this, I remember many of us talking about dropping the transmission into neutral and the vibration still exists. A vibration in neutral would eliminate the transmission right?

Pump pressure still driven by the motor in neutral, just not engauged to out put shaft?

I wouldn't think a pump would cause that violent of a vibration in a truck unless the drive line was engaged. Disengaged, it's just a pump sitting there pumping. I would think the engine would cause more vibration than a pump alone would. I dunno just tossing out some thoughts.......

I have't posted in a while, but I still am living with this 73-80mph vibration that I posted about earlier, and have followed every single post since. I now have 5k miles on my 2014 sierra 6.2 SLT w/z71 and 3.42 gears. Crew cab short bed. Tired new exhaust from GM minus flapper, range v4 disabler, new goodyear wrangler w/ Kevlar AT's which have been road forced 3x, and new driveshaft from GM. I wish GM would reach out to those of us who are living with this nightmare, as those of us with a few miles could probably help their engineers pinpoint symptoms and this potential fix. But nothing as far as I know has occurred. You would think a company with daily news headlines regarding recalls and engineering problems would want to be in touch with customers who spent 40-55k on a new GM truck. Why don't we all consider some type of group legal approach? I would gladly volunteer my truck to GM engineering assuming they provide a loaner as a test mule to help with a solution. Why are we all left trying to sort this problem out with no direct feedback or interaction with GM. We have all suggested some interesting possible causes but until we have a example vehicle and have GM engineering check every box, well never have a solution. My vibration does not change between 73-80 whether in 4'th, 5'th, 6'th, or even neutral, coasting, accelerating, uphill, downhill, left or right turns at those speeds. I keep coming back to wheels or wheel/tire, or hubs...as this seems to be a speed (not rpm or driveshaft spin speed) but actual vehicle speed problem. How could it not be related to a wheel or hub or something that spins at constant speed no matter what gear? Good luck

I admit it could be anything...but my gut says the trans isn't the source. Just my gut...but it could be. I drop mine in neutral and the wobble stays. Plus, these trucks have a different trans than the one mentioned in the TSB with the leaky seal. However, anything is possible. Mine is still temp specific...and seems better now that the drivesharft was balanced on the truck. It's nowhere near good...but it changed for the better. It seems there's a whole bunch of factors contributing to the issue...I even noticed that when a harley drives by me, I feel it strongly in the gas pedal and floor...the truck's own engone could be causing some of the high speed vibration. I am tired of trying to diagnose my brand new truck every time I get in it and drive somewhere. I'm sure the problem didn't start with mine until I had about 2000 miles on it...if it was like this when I test drove it I would have walked away for sure. I hate to say it but, this is a year old case and GM hasn't even acknowledged the problem, so there's no fix coming from them. The best we can all hope for is that some watch dog group or lawyers get involved and sue the already severely crippled GM. But really, thats not going to make anything happen for all of us directly.

I would really like to know if any of the guys who put aftermarket exhaust on their truck have this vib issue. It seems, in mine at least that with constant speed the vib is at it's worse...varying speed and throttle make it a lot better, and long drives with cruise on it's the worst. Harmonics at play here? 3 cats, a resonator, and a muffer could be causing some of this where shitty tires and road vibs telegraphing through electric power steering and crap shocks make up the rest? Who knows....in anoter year it could end up being a defective fuel pump causing it all.

^I agree GM won't be addressing this from what I can tell. It's not a life safety issue, so they'll continue to do the warranty game of trial and error fixes and hope something they do fixes it or you give up and live with it as most will undoubtedly do. The rest will trade it away and a small percentage of people will go the lemon law route. I'm sure the 2015's will be vibration free and their goal at this point is unload as much 2014 stock as possible so they can release the 2015's for sale. It's hard to sell a 2014 (and 2015's for that matter) when acknowledging they vibrate. They'll most likely stay quiet and release the 2015's with a fix of some sort.

I am curious too any before and after aftermkt exhausts in terms of vibration impact? I have thought about the borla non GM version but not going there w/ truck still vibrating. My dealer said he swapped my wheels and tires for a truck on the lot and still felt vibration. I was wondering about a shock upgrade and possible 1.75 " level with slightly larger tires on 18" rims, but again I won't put another extra dime in this truck when I have no certainty the vibration will go away. I have 20" factory SLT wheels currently.

I am curious too any before and after aftermkt exhausts in terms of vibration impact? I have thought about the borla non GM version but not going there w/ truck still vibrating. My dealer said he swapped my wheels and tires for a truck on the lot and still felt vibration. I was wondering about a shock upgrade and possible 1.75 " level with slightly larger tires on 18" rims, but again I won't put another extra dime in this truck when I have no certainty the vibration will go away. I have 20" factory SLT wheels currently.