I went back and saw the fix...wow. They basically rebuilt the rear driveline!

Yes the main problem was the rear end and drive shaft.

Also the front end was out of alignment.

One of the rims was bent, they wouldn't fix that one but I had my wheels stolen a few weeks back. I had to buy new rims and it helped the ride as well.

The problems can be fixed, but the cost to GM is high and it is easier to tell you that it is supposed to vibrate.

Could be but mine is a Z71.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

M1, Since your problem developed after tires, I would say they are the culprit. You mentioned that the tire shop you bought them from did not have a road force balancer. I would find one with a RF balancer and have them redone. The balancer will be able to pick the high spot and low spot of the wheel and tire and have them matched for the best ride. And you want your RF #'s o be less than 15 for these new trucks or you are going to feel it. You could have a bad tire or 2 that a regular balancer wont catch. I bought a set of 4 coopers and 2 of them had to be replaced due to them being out of round, and I believe I still have one that is not within spec.

M1, Since your problem developed after tires, I would say they are the culprit. You mentioned that the tire shop you bought them from did not have a road force balancer. I would find one with a RF balancer and have them redone. The balancer will be able to pick the high spot and low spot of the wheel and tire and have them matched for the best ride. And you want your RF #'s o be less than 15 for these new trucks or you are going to feel it. You could have a bad tire or 2 that a regular balancer wont catch. I bought a set of 4 coopers and 2 of them had to be replaced due to them being out of round, and I believe I still have one that is not within spec.

My dealer has one but they want the tech to drive the truck first. Beats me why they would turn down the $ for a RF since the tires are from another shop...makes me wonder what they know already, eh?

Edited by M1Tanker

Have your tires balanced after driving for awhile warm(operating temperature not cold). I get some vibration even with my new tires and rims but only for 5kms then it's gone. If it's really cold outside it takes 20kms or better. Look at it this way the tires are sitting on cold pavement all night and get a bit of a flat spot. So if you balance cold it will do no good cause the balance machine will counter weight the flat spot then the tires warm up and it's out of balance. Hope this helps some of you out. I had my new tires balanced new and the vibration got worse the longer I drove it. Went back in and had them rebalanced after driver 100km's and the vibration is gone except first thing in the morning but it's very slight and gone in 5km's. Not worth worrying about

I've been having vibration issues on my 2014 Sierra Crew Cab SLT with 20" wheels in the 35 mph and 70+ mph range that started around 4,000 miles. It's currently at the dealer for the third time now. The first time they balanced the wheels and gave it back to me. This did nothing. The second time they replaced a tire that had a road force in the mid 40's. They went through 4 new tires before they could find one that road forced below 16. This improved the vibration a little but it was still noticable. It's back in for a third time now and the dealer just called and said that GM approved a new set of Michelin tires to replace the Goodyear Eagle LS-2's. My service tech also told me that they had a truck in last week where the owner was complaining of vibration at highway speeds. He also let me know that his truck had the Goodyear Eagle LS-2's and GM approved a new set of Michelin's for that truck too. I am optimistic that this will fix the vibration issue and will report back after I've put a few miles on them.

I just came across this via a tech newsletter: The power steering control module has a software feature referred to as Smooth Road Shake Compensation that reduces steering wheel vibration caused by an imbalance from the front tire/wheel assemblies. The vibration transmitted to the steering wheel is referred to as Smooth Road Shake and is a phenomenon that occurs only at highway speeds and on smooth roads.

So...could it be a software update issue? It would appear to me that "compensation" isn't working properly on some of these trucks?

• Like 2

I just came across this via a tech newsletter: The power steering control module has a software feature referred to as Smooth Road Shake Compensation that reduces steering wheel vibration caused by an imbalance from the front tire/wheel assemblies. The vibration transmitted to the steering wheel is referred to as Smooth Road Shake and is a phenomenon that occurs only at highway speeds and on smooth roads.

So...could it be a software update issue? It would appear to me that "compensation" isn't working properly on some of these trucks?

Here's the article. Reference page 2.

http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/TechConnect_SepOct_2013.pdf

• Like 2

That is the one...worth a shot anyhow.

Yep, good find. I'm going to hang on to this artlcle if and when my new truck ever develops this vibration issue.

If you are feeling a vibration in your seat then its not coming from the steering. Its coming from out back. If you feel vibration in the steering wheel, then yea, it could be the rack software.

Here is my latest... Took my truck in for a recall. (Coolant Line) They reprogrammed the ECM and the TCM and made sure the coolant line was OK. Truck now has vibration at 67+ and when held at 70 or high number it gets worse. Took back today and they agree there is a vib. I had a vib before but nothing like it is now. More severe. We talked a lot about the old buy back truck I had and wondered if this isn't an electronic issue with the solenoid that controls the transmission fluid flow into the tranny. Reason we think this is because of the times when the truck does it more. It is usually with a cross wind at a 45 degree, not a straight cross wind and not a head wind. It's like a lugging on the engine but its not as if you can maintain the same speed, drop to M5 or M4 with higher RPM's and the vibe doesn't change. I plan on putting 200 or so LBS of weight in the back to check the shaft angle and see if that helps but at this time I am leaning towards an electronic issue as the truck was tolerable before I took it in and after the recall ECM and TCM reprogram, I have more vib issues. Something is up. TRYING TO FIND THE COMMON DENOMINATOR!!!! Holy crap! Where's the Tylenol.

Here is my latest... Took my truck in for a recall. (Coolant Line) They reprogrammed the ECM and the TCM and made sure the coolant line was OK. Truck now has vibration at 67+ and when held at 70 or high number it gets worse. Took back today and they agree there is a vib. I had a vib before but nothing like it is now. More severe. We talked a lot about the old buy back truck I had and wondered if this isn't an electronic issue with the solenoid that controls the transmission fluid flow into the tranny. Reason we think this is because of the times when the truck does it more. It is usually with a cross wind at a 45 degree, not a straight cross wind and not a head wind. It's like a lugging on the engine but its not as if you can maintain the same speed, drop to M5 or M4 with higher RPM's and the vibe doesn't change. I plan on putting 200 or so LBS of weight in the back to check the shaft angle and see if that helps but at this time I am leaning towards an electronic issue as the truck was tolerable before I took it in and after the recall ECM and TCM reprogram, I have more vib issues. Something is up. TRYING TO FIND THE COMMON DENOMINATOR!!!! Holy crap! Where's the Tylenol.

I have felt the same thing with the crosswind and mine also vibes when accelerating from a standing start until you get to 3rd gear, as if it is struggling/shuddering.

Edited by M1Tanker

After talking with the GMC dealer I went to my Chevy dealers performance shop and talked with their shop manager about my truck issue. He called the Chevy service manager and found out the Chevy dealer has been through 6 buy backs. My dealer hasn't told me how many GMCs they have bought back but GM KNOWS there is a problem and he also said that GM is monitoring this blog. He believes GM is trying to put together the pieces of the puzzle as much as we all are. Keep posting guys. The more we share, the more we learn. Hope to someday find the problem.

Edited by Chappy 1901
  • Like 1