Tires may be some of the issues but I have been a through one buy back and now on my second truck and on my third set of wheels and tires. My first truck was a double cab 1500 All Terrain with the 3:08 rear end and now I have a crew All Terrain with the 3:42. Both are the 5.3l engine. I'm not going to re type everything we did to the first truck but it is documented here back some pages.

I have locked my new truck in V8 mode with the Range technologies device. I have clamped the exhaust flapper open and I still have random vibration. I really think it's an electronic/mechanical issue. (Torque converter or electronic shift solenoid) I have rolled the bed cover up thinking that the wind was creating the vibration on the cover and carrying the vibration throughout the truck....not the case. I have been beaten into submission. It's tolerable. I am not happy but I do know this; I will NEVER own another GM built truck again. As I told my dealer and service manager; If GM would just admit to the fact that there are issues and they are working on a fix/cure, that would make me happy. I'm a very disappointed GMC truck owner.

• Like 1

Tires may be some of the issues but I have been a through one buy back and now on my second truck and on my third set of wheels and tires. My first truck was a double cab 1500 All Terrain with the 3:08 rear end and now I have a crew All Terrain with the 3:42. Both are the 5.3l engine. I'm not going to re type everything we did to the first truck but it is documented here back some pages.

I have locked my new truck in V8 mode with the Range technologies device. I have clamped the exhaust flapper open and I still have random vibration. I really think it's an electronic/mechanical issue. (Torque converter or electronic shift solenoid) I have rolled the bed cover up thinking that the wind was creating the vibration on the cover and carrying the vibration throughout the truck....not the case. I have been beaten into submission. It's tolerable. I am not happy but I do know this; I will NEVER own another GM built truck again. As I told my dealer and service manager; If GM would just admit to the fact that there are issues and they are working on a fix/cure, that would make me happy. I'm a very disappointed GMC truck owner.

Yeah in hindsight I wish I had hung on to my 2007 and tried the Range V8 device to see if that fixed the oil consumption issue for me. It would be nice having that truck back which was paid off. So far with the issues I've had with my 2014 I don't' even like it or enjoy driving it. It's merely a means to get around for $500 a month. If the Range V8 didn't work on my 2007 and I knew what I was getting into, I definitely would have bought the Tacoma I was looking at. Toyota even gives you bilstein shocks and BF Goodrich tires with their off road package.

MINE IS FIXED

The last time I posted about my truck GM had installed the clamps to balance the drive shaft. I was experiencing a vibration at about 43 mph. The clamps had fixed the vibration for a bit but it had returned. I was under the truck and noticed that the clamps had caught on grass when I was driving through a field and it was bound on the clamps. I removed this and it solved the vibration issue again. I went back to GM and explained once again that this was a bad fix, they took the shaft off and sent it to a shop to epoxy weights.

I have had it back two days now and no vibration at all.

Before I started my fix here was the issue; Some vibration in the steering wheel after 40 mph but only slight. At highway speeds over 60mph you would start to feel a vibration in the steering wheel. It was a slight vibration but enough to annoy you after a while. It was never a rough shake or shimmy, just a continual vibration. On rough roads you wouldn't notice it as much since you had more road feel, but on stretch of smooth asphalt when you should feel nothing you would notice.

A short recap of the fixes;

The tires were road forced three different times, after putting an borrowed set of tires on the truck the tires as an issue was eliminated.

The drive shaft was changed out, this helped but did not correct the problem.

The complete rear end was replaced, this solved and fixed the highway speed 60mph and above vibration.

A vibration at exactly 43mph remained after the rear end was replaced, now that the drive shaft is properly balanced that vibration is gone.

I started my quest a few weeks after I got my truck, just before Christmas. Now in June I would say it is resolved (for now). The hardest part was forcing GM to take responsibility. I feel for many of those with the vibration issue as they may lack the skill set and determination to force GM to do what is right. The best advice is to go to page 34 in your warranty book and follow the instructions, make the calls and send the letters.

I had to take the time to spend at the dealer riding with technicians in the truck, pointing out the problems.

I hope the issue stays resolved, but I am afraid that there is something internally wrong with the truck. Possibly the vibration issue came about because of wear to the rear end and drive shaft because of other alignment or transmission issues with the truck. Time will tell.

• Like 1

MINE IS FIXED

The last time I posted about my truck GM had installed the clamps to balance the drive shaft. I was experiencing a vibration at about 43 mph. The clamps had fixed the vibration for a bit but it had returned. I was under the truck and noticed that the clamps had caught on grass when I was driving through a field and it was bound on the clamps. I removed this and it solved the vibration issue again. I went back to GM and explained once again that this was a bad fix, they took the shaft off and sent it to a shop to epoxy weights.

Before I started my fix here was the issue; Some vibration in the steering wheel after 40 mph but only slight. At highway speeds over 60mph you would start to feel a vibration in the steering wheel. It was a slight vibration but enough to annoy you after a while. It was never a rough shake or shimmy, just a continual vibration. On rough roads you wouldn't notice it as much since you had more road feel, but on stretch of smooth asphalt when you should feel nothing you would notice.

The tires were road forced three different times, after putting an borrowed set of tires on the truck the tires as an issue was eliminated.

The complete rear end was replaced, this solved and fixed the highway speed 60mph and above vibration.

A vibration at exactly 43mph remained after the rear end was replaced, now that the drive shaft is properly balanced that vibration is gone.

I started my quest a few weeks after I got my truck, just before Christmas. Now in June I would say it is resolved (for now). The hardest part was forcing GM to take responsibility. I feel for many of those with the vibration issue as they may lack the skill set and determination to force GM to do what is right. The best advice is to go to page 34 in your warranty book and follow the instructions, make the calls and send the letters.

I had to take the time to spend at the dealer riding with technicians in the truck, pointing out the problems.

I hope the issue stays resolved, but I am afraid that there is something internally wrong with the truck. Possibly the vibration issue came about because of wear to the rear end and drive shaft because of other alignment or transmission issues with the truck. Time will tell.

Wow glad yours is fixed! Please keep us posted on how the truck performs over time. I sincerely hope your problem doesn't come back because it means there is hope for us with vibration issues to get it resolved.

Chappy, I had my first truck bought back as well for vibration issues, and now my second truck has started to have it over 72 mph in the seats and console.

I am almost certain it is tires for me, as from what i have read, drive shafts cause a lower speed vibration like what HDNitehawk was experiencing, but it is strange the drive shaft was causing a steering wheel vibration and not one in the rear.

Chappy, I had my first truck bought back as well for vibration issues, and now my second truck has started to have it over 72 mph in the seats and console.

I am almost certain it is tires for me, as from what i have read, drive shafts cause a lower speed vibration like what HDNitehawk was experiencing, but it is strange the drive shaft was causing a steering wheel vibration and not one in the rear.

That is the exact speed where mine starts to vibrate. 70-74 then it will carry to about 79 or so then it seems to dissipate above 80. Looking back at this thread of posts, I see a consistent theme here.... :-/

Well made an appointment at the dealer for next Tuesday to get an oil change/tire rotation before I go on a long trip next Thursday. I told him I'm still sensing a vibration in the steering wheel at higher speeds. This will be the second time it's gone in for that problem. The first time was back in early May and they road force balanced all my tires. That seemed to help for the ride home but the problem really didn't go away. It's not getting worse, but it is there and I notice it mostly at higher speeds and it was really apparent when I went on my first long trip with the truck a couple weeks ago to a destination about an hour away from where I live. There was no denying the vibration at that point. So we'll see what happens and I'll keep you guys posted. At the end of the day it's all under warranty so as long as it's not costing me any money, I'm going to take advantage of the warranty and stay persistent. I figure they either fix it or buy it back/lemon law it. Either way it's not something I should or will live with.

I'm saving all of my receipts from the service department. Anything else I should be doing to document this process?

I feel bad for they guy who bought my first 14 off the used car lot... It wasn't there 2 days before someone bought it... Rear end and all replaced and it still had the vibs 70+. If you all stay persistent and mention lemon laws once your truck qualifies for them, you'll see how fast GM fixes your trucks.

I feel bad for they guy who bought my first 14 off the used car lot... It wasn't there 2 days before someone bought it... Rear end and all replaced and it still had the vibs 70+. If you all stay persistent and mention lemon laws once your truck qualifies for them, you'll see how fast GM fixes your trucks.

And on your new one you had the vibration (70+ rear?) but not as bad, and the new Nitto Terra Grapplers solved it, correct?

Well as I was researching the vibration issue some more I decided to make a quick video of my idle vibration . If someone who has a smooth riding truck could create one to show it is not just engine related that would be cool! So here is my truck idle with some vibration .

I'd like to see the test on the Ford once it was warmed up and the idle drops down, or test the Silverado at 1000 rpm.

And on your new one you had the vibration (70+ rear?) but not as bad, and the new Nitto Terra Grapplers solved it, correct?

Correct, I love it now. Rotate your tires and make sure your vibration follows the tires. That's how I knew 100% that's what my issue was. Mine also almost went away when I ran around 32 psi instead of around 42-45 which was the max on the SRA tires I believe.

MINE IS FIXED

One thing I should add to this, my truck drove straight as an arrow. To me it always felt like it had a bit of drag to it. I asked the dealer at 3000 miles to check the alignment, they refused. After the rear end was replaced I pushed the issue again, they finally checked the alignment and it was indeed out of align. No doubt by this time the tires had some un even ware which didn't help the matter. While the alignment didn't initially cause vibration it did magnify its effect. Of course driving on tires for 14000 miles on tires that the truck is out of alignment on couldn't help the ride and vibration.