Was told today by a friend that is a gm tech that they know the axles r out of balance in the rears

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

A good update here...I drove home from work, 48 degrees...and my truck drove really nice. Not perfect, but acceptable. If it drove like this all the time I'd be happy. Dreading the next warm up because my shake will come back. I'm going to call the dealer and explain things, and see if they'll pull these GY off and put on something else. If they wont, I'll be headed to NTB for 2 pairs of Nitto Crossteks. They were great on my 2010...they just may fix my 2014! Next, to bolt open the flapper valve and clear up the annoying whistle sound it makes. I promise everyone on here..someday we'll look back and just laugh when thinking what we were experiencing with "those old 2014's" haha! Annoying as all hell but they're just trucks.

Have a question after reading some of the earlier posts about rims actually spinning in the tire. I had my GY's replaced not long ago due to vibration (which did cure the problem for now) and noticed today that there is some kind of sticky glue like material on the edges of all of the rims. It did wash off with a little scrubbing but I have never seen this before. Is it common to have this when new tires are mounted? Or is this a way to stop the tire from slipping on the rim under heavy load or acceleration?

Is your vibration fixed? Were your tires spinning? Mark them and check. Interesting but not surprising I guess that some tires are slipping on the rims. This must be a much more common problem that I would have thought. It certainly would explain some of the vibration problems and having to re-balance all the time. There has to be a good way to stop it with some sticky glue or something else. If it happens on a 355-425 HP truck then it has probably happened regularly on a 1000hp racer, and people have most assuredly figured out how to stop it some how. A 2000hp dragster wouldn't go too good if it's tires spun on the rims! LOL

So my local dealership told me this: your vibration comes from the v8 to v4 switch. When it goes into v4 it vibrates and you should put it in two haul mode to get rid of the vibration. Lmao!! You mean to tell me that these engineers screwed up? And their answer to fix this is to

Use your tow haul mode when your not towing anything and also means you would waste gas and possibly screw up your transmission. Hmmm waste gas, that's not what GM is looking for, is it? Also, they said it was my aftermarket wheels. Let's see, when I put the factories back on, it shakes and vibrates. When I put my aftermarket wheels, it almost doesn't vibrate. However, it's still there. So how is it that it's my wheels when it's worst with the factory wheels? I feel like another buy back is coming on!

They're partially correct, but thats not an acceptable answer to your inquiry. I have noticed that, when driving on back roads between 40 and 50 mph...that I can feel it when it's in V4 mode because of a slight vibration feel..almost a rough feel to the engine and truck. Between the V4 mode, and the truck wanting to cruise along at the lowest RPM possible...it's a rough, vibratory feeling. I have played with the tow mode, and sometime use it when tooling along on back roads. It only makes the truck cruise along at 1600 RPM or so...just enough to smoothen things out. When it's in V4 mode with only 1100 rpm on the tach, it's going to be impossible to get a smooth ride. Shouldn't be like this but thats how they designed it. I wouldnt worry about wrecking the trans, and gas mileage from what I've experienced when in tow mode is actually very good...19 plus. This is the sort of rough ride that personally I can write off because I know exactly whats causing it, and how to make it go away with the press of a button or more pressure with my right foot.

Interesting that your wheels smoothened out your ride. Would you attribute it to the rims themselves or the tires on them?

They're partially correct, but thats not an acceptable answer to your inquiry. I have noticed that, when driving on back roads between 40 and 50 mph...that I can feel it when it's in V4 mode because of a slight vibration feel..almost a rough feel to the engine and truck. Between the V4 mode, and the truck wanting to cruise along at the lowest RPM possible...it's a rough, vibratory feeling. I have played with the tow mode, and sometime use it when tooling along on back roads. It only makes the truck cruise along at 1600 RPM or so...just enough to smoothen things out. When it's in V4 mode with only 1100 rpm on the tach, it's going to be impossible to get a smooth ride. Shouldn't be like this but thats how they designed it. I wouldnt worry about wrecking the trans, and gas mileage from what I've experienced when in tow mode is actually very good...19 plus. This is the sort of rough ride that personally I can write off because I know exactly whats causing it, and how to make it go away with the press of a button or more pressure with my right foot.

Interesting that your wheels smoothened out your ride. Would you attribute it to the rims themselves or the tires on them?

I guess I will try it out and see if it actually works. To be honest I'm assuming a little bit of both. The wheels that I ordered were CNCd from a block of aluminum to be as true as possible. You may of heard of the brand. ( American Force) they have a lifetime warranty on defects. So I can't really say it's my wheel. Also I have a lower profile than the factories. 305/40/22. When the truck doesn't vibrate it rides smooth as glass. Right now I'm waiting on the local rep to come out so we can go on a test drive and see what they say. If he tells me it's normal and I can't do anything. I'm just gonna have to get a whole new suspension to damper the ride or trade it in.

So my local dealership told me this: your vibration comes from the v8 to v4 switch. When it goes into v4 it vibrates and you should put it in two haul mode to get rid of the vibration. Lmao!! You mean to tell me that these engineers screwed up? And their answer to fix this is to

Use your tow haul mode when your not towing anything and also means you would waste gas and possibly screw up your transmission. Hmmm waste gas, that's not what GM is looking for, is it? Also, they said it was my aftermarket wheels. Let's see, when I put the factories back on, it shakes and vibrates. When I put my aftermarket wheels, it almost doesn't vibrate. However, it's still there. So how is it that it's my wheels when it's worst with the factory wheels? I feel like another buy back is coming on!

Very well then you should do a test to prove the truth.

If you know the speed your truck starts to vibrate at, drive it in tow mode and see if it vibrates still.

This removes the v4 change out of the equation. Next put your oem rims and tires back on and record this vibration you have. I put my cruise control on and filmed my instrument panel and vehical, next I shut my truck off while driving in gear...just turn off the ignition! See if vibration is still there, if it is the engine and engine mount can be eliminated as being the problem.

That only leaves tires, transmission, driveline system, steering, and suspension.

Thats when I would return to the dealer with my know facts, demanding it to be fixed, and if they can not solve it, then open a ticket with GM to have Iit looked at by their engineers for a solution.

Keep a log book of your visits and people you spoke to, keeping all the work preformed on your truck with a receipt from dealer.

This is how my legal advise, recommended me to deal with it until they refuse to do any more, then the paper trail will hold up later showing your attempt to have it repaired could not be solved.

I still believe it is a torque converter, and driveshaft problem for most of these vibration issues.

just my 2 cents worth, good luck.

I've driven 6 different Sierra's including mine in the past 9 months. When I take my truck in for service my dealer gives me a loaner, its been a different truck each time, plus the 2 trucks I test drove before I got mine.

None of the trucks I drove had any vibration issues at any speeds.

I really feel bad for you guys that are experiencing issues, and I hope it can get resolved for most if not all of you.

If you know the speed your truck starts to vibrate at, drive it in tow mode and see if it vibrates still.

This removes the v4 change out of the equation. Next put your oem rims and tires back on and record this vibration you have. I put my cruise control on and filmed my instrument panel and vehical, next I shut my truck off while driving in gear...just turn off the ignition! See if vibration is still there, if it is the engine and engine mount can be eliminated as being the problem.

That only leaves tires, transmission, driveline system, steering, and suspension.

Thats when I would return to the dealer with my know facts, demanding it to be fixed, and if they can not solve it, then open a ticket with GM to have Iit looked at by their engineers for a solution.

Keep a log book of your visits and people you spoke to, keeping all the work preformed on your truck with a receipt from dealer.

This is how my legal advise, recommended me to deal with it until they refuse to do any more, then the paper trail will hold up later showing your attempt to have it repaired could not be solved.

I still believe it is a torque converter, and driveshaft problem for most of these vibration issues.

I already have a ticket opened with GM. I'm just waiting for the local rep to come out on a test drive with me. I will attempt all those things on the test drive with the rep. If it continues and they have no fix. I'll be moving up to a 2500. I can't speak for other but, I haven't heard any problems with the 2500.

Just put your truck in M5 and it won't shift into v4 at all. It drives much nicer in M5 and its the only way I drive around town.

Bolt the flapper open on the exhaust and see if that helps, it took my v4 drone/vib away, and then go and have the dealer order you the updated exhaust if your truck was built before December 8 2013

Bolt the flapper open on the exhaust and see if that helps, it took my v4 drone/vib away, and then go and have the dealer order you the updated exhaust if your truck was built before December 8 2013

Was there a update sent to all dealers or something cause I just called them being that my truck is still there and their telling me they have no idea about a updated exhaust.

Was there a update sent to all dealers or something cause I just called them being that my truck is still there and their telling me they have no idea about a updated exhaust. Or a bulletin number that you can give me to help out. Edited by Agacmddj1