Just another point to mention, if your tires are improperly balanced and you drive on them for a while, they will start to wear unevenly. Once they wear unevenly, you will never get rid of the vibration until you get a new set of tires. I had this problem with a set of tires before. They were never right and just replaced them after 30k miles.

How many people here complaining have never owned a truck before? Put 500lbs of weight in the bed and tell us if the vibration goes away.

I had a 2007 silverado that rode smooth like a cadillac before this one and that has been my basis of comparison for a lot of my issues. I haven't tried weight in the bed yet but un-weighted my old truck rode like a car.

I agree with you on the tire wear issue and the tires ever riding correctly at this point. I'm debating getting an alignment at an independent shop before things get worse. I really don't want to spend the money for new tires right now. If that solves the problem then I would just tough these out for a year or 2 before dropping the money, but it's tough to know for sure if it's the tires. I would like to rule out mechanical items in the front end like ball joints or tie rod ends or whatever.

New Terra grapplers on my newer 14 = vibration completely gone! My old 14 was definitely a drivetrain issue, but my new one turned out to be shitty Goodyear SRA tires. I figured before I take the driveshaft out to make sure the tires were good. Shitty Goodyear tires again.

• Like 1

New Terra grapplers on my newer 14 = vibration completely gone! My old 14 was definitely a drivetrain issue, but my new one turned out to be shitty Goodyear SRA tires. I figured before I take the driveshaft out to make sure the tires were good. Shitty Goodyear tires again.

Hot damn! Happy for you Bowtie! What were the vibration symptoms of your first truck, and the ones of this truck? Even though I have new tires on mine, it might be a tire issue, who knows. Thanks in advance.

Hot damn! Happy for you Bowtie! What were the vibration symptoms of your first truck, and the ones of this truck? Even though I have new tires on mine, it might be a tire issue, who knows. Thanks in advance.

Yeah can you compare your symptoms to those in posts #1603, 1604, and 1611 (they are within the last few pages of this thread). I really believe my issue is my tires but I don't want to drop $800-$1,000 to find out either.

Also Bowtie what is the manufacture date of your current truck? Should be on the sticker located inside the driver door.

Edited by Silverado-Hareek
  • Like 1

First 14 built 06/13

Vibrations between 45-50, 72+, and upon hard acceleration bad. I pretty much felt it all the time but those were the worst speeds.

Dealer balanced tires 1/2 dozen times.

Replaced 2 tires

3 different drive shafts

Tires off another Chevy on the lot

New rear end

Engine shims

And never solved it...

Dealer bought the truck back

Newer 14 built 03/14

Very minor vibration 68 or so +

-Tire pressure was too high and I reduced to 32 and made a tremendous difference.

-I put 500 lbs of sand in the bed and no difference.

-I rotated the tires and vibs moved from back to front.

-Bought new tires and vibration completely gone. This thing is as smooth as glass @ 85 now.

Both trucks were 4wd crew cab short beds.

• Like 1

First 14 built 06/13

Vibrations between 45-50, 72+, and upon hard acceleration bad. I pretty much felt it all the time but those were the worst speeds.

Replaced 2 tires

3 different drive shafts

New rear end

Engine shims

And never solved it...

Newer 14 built 03/14

-Tire pressure was too high and I reduced to 32 and made a tremendous difference.

-Bought new tires and vibration completely gone. This thing is as smooth as glass @ 85 now.

Thanks Bowtie, one last question for me. Did you ever have the Goodyears balanced on the new truck or just swapped them from front to back and the vibration moved? I am experiencing the rear vibration at about 72+ and replaced the Goodyears with Cooper ATP's. Everything is balanced out according to 3 road force machines but I still have the rear vibe. Steering wheel is smooth so I might try the front to back swap to see if its the new tires or not.

I never had them balanced, I just did a few "tests" on my own. I told myself I would not have another experimental truck.

Good call, we went through literally the exact same thing. They bought my first one back in Feb and now the new one vibrates in the rear. I don't want to start throwing parts at it until someone comes up with a solution on here that might be plausible since I already have aftermarket tires.

Good call, we went through literally the exact same thing. They bought my first one back in Feb and now the new one vibrates in the rear. I don't want to start throwing parts at it until someone comes up with a solution on here that might be plausible since I already have aftermarket tires.

Still could very well be the driveshaft. I was going to get mine balanced after the tires but no need now. The other truck had a brand new complete rear end installed and no change at all so I doubt it's the rear end. Put your truck in 2wd instead of auto and see if it makes a difference ? Maybe it could be shitty shocks unable to stabilize the rear end at highway speeds as well

First 14 built 06/13

Replaced 2 tires

3 different drive shafts

New rear end

Engine shims

And never solved it...

Newer 14 built 03/14

Interesting. I pretty much feel vibrations in the steering wheel at all speeds but it's relatively constant in severity, but fluctuates in vibration speed with vehicle speed and it also fluctuates in noticeability with temperature.

In other words low tire temp/pressure and I hardly feel anything below 45 mph. At 60mph I start to feel it more.

When it's hotter outside and tire pressure increases from 35psi to 38-39 psi, I notice the vibration more at all speeds.

But again the severity of the vibration doesn't change. Let me use a music analogy. Think of a drummer hitting a drum. Imagine him hitting the drum once every second and then imagine home hitting the drum once every half second, but he doesn't change how hard he hits the drum. That's what I'm trying to describe with my vibration relative to speed. It's not a more violent vibration at higher speeds, just faster.

The part one is forgetting is large tires will tame some vibration just like harmonic weights on early v8

Vibration is caused by mechanical energy being absorbed into the vehical, or road energy being absorbed into the tires into suspension to body.

Large rim size, and low profile tires would transfer energy better to the body cause of physics laws.

The tires used on these trucks might be crap, but most have what I would describe as mechanical energy vibration issues. Meaning unbalanced parts, bad machining, or design flaw issues.

Bad driveshafts, and ring and pinion issues, compounded with transmission always trying to shifting into higher gear. This causes the engine to run at low rpm and will only add to the vibration.

So in a nut shell tires might help some, but for most this will not correct the other mechanical vibrations.

I believe its tires..I did in fact notice my vibration worsened with heat.. the longer the drive the worse it got.. Hwre is an idea... if you can do it safely...put your truck up on jack stands and put it in 4x4 and kick her up to about 40 and see if you can see the tires wobble.. there was a noticeable "hump" in my front passenger tire.. dealer warrantied.. replaced vibration gone for a few days..came back on a longer trip..said screw amd got rid of the good years... maybe they are just easily "unbalanced"???? Dont know...dont care..I couldnt be happier with these hancooks! Sad part is Goodyears made in USA.. hancooks are made in Korea...

I believe its tires..I did in fact notice my vibration worsened with heat.. the longer the drive the worse it got.. Hwre is an idea... if you can do it safely...put your truck up on jack stands and put it in 4x4 and kick her up to about 40 and see if you can see the tires wobble.. there was a noticeable "hump" in my front passenger tire.. dealer warrantied.. replaced vibration gone for a few days..came back on a longer trip..said screw amd got rid of the good years... maybe they are just easily "unbalanced"???? Dont know...dont care..I couldnt be happier with these hancooks! Sad part is Goodyears made in USA.. hancooks are made in Korea...

My Goodyear SRA's were made in Canada
  • Like 1

How many people here complaining have never owned a truck before? Put 500lbs of weight in the bed and tell us if the vibration goes away.

If it vibrates more than the other dozen or so trucks I have owned over 37 years why should I now be putting weight in the back.

Goodyear tires

The engineer relayed through the GM Rep that they were having problems with the stock Goodyears. He said that the way they are made the get knocked out of balance very easily. The tires are a known issue with GM.

My issue had little to do about the tires, I had Nittos put on as part of the truck purchase. Although I had them Road Forced I had issues later. I always thought the front end felt like it dragged. I asked for an alignment at 3000 miles, GM finally agreed to do it at 12000 miles. It was out of alignment, now the tires have a bit of uneven wear.