Thanks everyone, I will go by the door sticker. Mine has 32 for front and back and 35 for spare. Yours are probably higher with the Z71. Appreciate it.

with the 20" wheels you have less side wall and because of that a rougher ride, so GM has the 20" at 32psi cold to help dampen the ride and the 18" wheels at 35psi. Believe it or not it makes difference in gas mileage too.

Edited by Silver Spaceship

Ok I just read the full latest recall for our trucks it is for inner tie rods not fastened torqued off properly.

How in the h*ll can it only be 477 trucks over almost a year of production? This makes no logic to me unless the tool torquing off this part.....which would be a DC tool (electric drive torque wrench) had 477 faulty torque registered readings, and somehow through shabby training and Quality Control failure, managed to get out of the plant.

I would only suspect someones tie rod seperated and the dealer must have noticed it was stripped out.

GM must have looked back at the build sheet and vin# and had a bad torqued reading from that tool that vin# that build day. I would guess there was 477 failed readings from that tool that got logged. What makes no sense to me is why only 477 over a year of production? Why weren't they found before they left the plant? They would have built 10,000s of trucks each month or more. Was the failed part due to failed torques that someone did not fix!

Now if so, i would only guess people there is way more out there with tierods not torqued off as we speak!

Remember our vibration issues there might be a connection there! I would say folks have a quick look at your tie rods and their connections to the steering rack.

just my 2 cents and only saying a possibility.

Edited by 2strokesmoke

Edmunds.com wrote

WASHINGTON General Motors is recalling 477 2014 Chevrolet Silverado andGMC Sierra pickup trucks and the 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV for possible tie-rod separation and loss of steering, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The Silverado, Sierra and Tahoe recall is part of a larger recall of about 2.7 million GM vehicles announced on Thursday.

In the case of the Silverado, Sierra and Tahoe recall, owners of the affected vehicles are advised not to drive their vehicles until they have been inspected and repaired. Owners should contact GM to have their vehicles towed to the dealership, the automaker told federal safety regulators.

"In the affected vehicles, the tie-rod threaded attachment may not be properly tightened to the steering gear rack," said NHTSA in its summary of the problem. "An improperly tightened tie-rod attachment may allow the tie rod to separate from the steering rack, resulting in a loss of steering, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash."

The affected Silverados were built from May 23, 2013 through March 25, 2014. The affected GMC Sierras were built from May 25, 2013 through March 31, 2014. The affected Tahoes were built from January 29, 2014 through March 27, 2014.

"Customers are being contacted and told to have their vehicles taken by flatbed to their dealer, where the inner tie rods will be inspected for correct torque, and, if necessary, the steering gear will be replaced," said GM in a statement on Thursday. "The repair procedure was being sent to dealers and owner letters sent by overnight mail to customers on May 14. The issue was discovered and corrected during assembly after the small number of vehicles was released."

The recall began on May 14.

Owners can contact General Motors customer service at 1-800-222-1020.

Edmunds says: GM said it is in the process of notifying owners. They should park the vehicles and get in touch with their dealers immediately.

Ok I just read the full latest recall for our trucks it is for inner tie rods not fastened torqued off properly.

How in the h*ll can it only be 477 trucks over almost a year of production? This makes no logic to me unless the tool torquing off this part.....which would be a DC tool (electric drive torque wrench) had 477 faulty torque registered readings, and somehow through shabby training and Quality Control failure, managed to get out of the plant.

I would only suspect someones tie rod seperated and the dealer must have noticed it was stripped out.

GM must have looked back at the build sheet and vin# and had a bad torqued reading from that tool that vin# that build day. I would guess there was 477 failed readings from that tool that got logged. What makes no sense to me is why only 477 over a year of production? Why weren't they found before they left the plant? They would have built 10,000s of trucks each month or more. Was the failed part due to failed torques that someone did not fix!

Now if so, i would only guess people there is way more out there with tierods not torqued off as we speak!

Remember our vibration issues there might be a connection there! I would say folks have a quick look at your tie rods and their connections to the steering rack.

just my 2 cents and only saying a possibility.

As scared as GM is at this point, If they there were 1 more truck that needed to be recalled, they would do that. As far as checking your own tie rods, it' really not that easy. The problem is inner tie rod end at the rack. Under the boot.

I am not familiar with the new steering system and if the boot covers the tie rod to rack or what.

An under torqued tie rod to rack fastener could cause a vibration if left on torqued.

just throwing it out there for possibilities for us that have been left hanging with a vibration issue in the steering wheel.

thxs

Edited by 2strokesmoke

Edmunds.com wrote

WASHINGTON General Motors is recalling 477 2014 Chevrolet Silverado andGMC Sierra pickup trucks and the 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV for possible tie-rod separation and loss of steering, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The Silverado, Sierra and Tahoe recall is part of a larger recall of about 2.7 million GM vehicles announced on Thursday.

In the case of the Silverado, Sierra and Tahoe recall, owners of the affected vehicles are advised not to drive their vehicles until they have been inspected and repaired. Owners should contact GM to have their vehicles towed to the dealership, the automaker told federal safety regulators.

"In the affected vehicles, the tie-rod threaded attachment may not be properly tightened to the steering gear rack," said NHTSA in its summary of the problem. "An improperly tightened tie-rod attachment may allow the tie rod to separate from the steering rack, resulting in a loss of steering, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash."

The affected Silverados were built from May 23, 2013 through March 25, 2014. The affected GMC Sierras were built from May 25, 2013 through March 31, 2014. The affected Tahoes were built from January 29, 2014 through March 27, 2014.

"Customers are being contacted and told to have their vehicles taken by flatbed to their dealer, where the inner tie rods will be inspected for correct torque, and, if necessary, the steering gear will be replaced," said GM in a statement on Thursday. "The repair procedure was being sent to dealers and owner letters sent by overnight mail to customers on May 14. The issue was discovered and corrected during assembly after the small number of vehicles was released."

The recall began on May 14.

Owners can contact General Motors customer service at 1-800-222-1020.

Edmunds says: GM said it is in the process of notifying owners. They should park the vehicles and get in touch with their dealers immediately.

So, are they paying the tow and haul bills?

There is another thread on the recall here: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/161225-recall-51514-inner-tie-rods/

It references this article by Money...http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/15/news/companies/gm-recall/index.html

"The smallest of the five recalls is also potentially the most serious. GM said that 477 trucks have steering problems that can cause accidents. Truck owners were notified by phone, overnight letter and via the OnStar in-vehicle communication system that they shouldn't even drive their trucks to dealers for repairs. GM will send a flatbed truck to pick up the vehicles, which include some 2014 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups and some 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe SUVs."

Edited by chuckl1218

First of all i apologize if the answer is in here but I did find the smoking gun yet in reading about 10 pages of posts out of 103. Here are my vibration symptoms.

vibrates under medium to hard acceleration, 1st or 2nd gear, from 15mph to 30mph. Feels like my car back in college when the harmonic balancer went, but it dissappears untill it hits 40-60mph.

At 40-60 mph it will be a subtle vibration almost a resonance in the cab and gas pedal unless you hit the right harmonic or put it in auto 4x4 to bring out some harmonic notes. When you decelerate from 62 to 40 at the rate of just letting off the gas, it gets really annoying. My drive is mostly 55mph roads. So to say the least, my last 2300 miles have been begging the question, "why did i sell my '02 that ran perfect even at 208K miles just to spend and extra $43K to listen to a vibration 1 hour to work and 1 hour back". These problems are on top of the fact that the salesman and I drove it in to be serviced before it ever left the lot. (dead pixels in the touch screen). So far I am displeased with the only new truck I have ever purchased. I have an appointment next week to get the radio replaced and have the vibration looked at. First 3 weeks of ownership have been less than exciting.

First of all i apologize if the answer is in here but I did find the smoking gun yet in reading about 10 pages of posts out of 103. Here are my vibration symptoms.

vibrates under medium to hard acceleration, 1st or 2nd gear, from 15mph to 30mph. Feels like my car back in college when the harmonic balancer went, but it dissappears untill it hits 40-60mph.

At 40-60 mph it will be a subtle vibration almost a resonance in the cab and gas pedal unless you hit the right harmonic or put it in auto 4x4 to bring out some harmonic notes. When you decelerate from 62 to 40 at the rate of just letting off the gas, it gets really annoying. My drive is mostly 55mph roads. So to say the least, my last 2300 miles have been begging the question, "why did i sell my '02 that ran perfect even at 208K miles just to spend and extra $43K to listen to a vibration 1 hour to work and 1 hour back". These problems are on top of the fact that the salesman and I drove it in to be serviced before it ever left the lot. (dead pixels in the touch screen). So far I am displeased with the only new truck I have ever purchased. I have an appointment next week to get the radio replaced and have the vibration looked at. First 3 weeks of ownership have been less than exciting.

Edmunds.com wrote

WASHINGTON General Motors is recalling 477 2014 Chevrolet Silverado andGMC Sierra pickup trucks

I think they are actually recalling only 476 and 1/2 trucks because the last one has only one bad tie rod. :lol:

Updates on mine. Quick recap so everyone doesnt have to go back and read through this thread.

2014 GMC 4x4 Z71 SLT Crew Build date 9/13. I dropped it off April 8th due to a vibration at all speeds in the steering wheel, once reaching 70mph a seat vibration started to become really noticable and extremely noticeable as speed increase past 70. In conjuction an audible noise inside the cab developed at 75 that sounding like a metal on metal vibration at a high frequency and the cab was much louder. Became really noticible at 80 and beyond.

Things that have been done on my truck with no change.

Multiple sets of tires and rims of all different sizes from other trucks on the lot, several rebalances and road force balances of my tires.

Driveshaft swap from other trucks on the lot, a new driveshaft design ordered and installed.

Motor mounts all checked several times

All rear end components measured and tolerances checked including gears

Complete rear end assembly installed.

New exhaust system ordered and installed.

Tires rebalanced and alignment done at an independent shop and all dealer machines double checked.

They called me and said they believe they got the noise under control but the vibration is still there. The service manager also spent a lot of time driving my truck and 5 other new trucks on the lot including a 2015. He said 3 of those including the 2015 all vibrate similar to mine and 2 didnt vibrate. He also told me GM is telling him to tell me its just how the trucks are and they they all vibrate to some extent.

I went over yesterday to drive my truck for the first time in about 5 weeks and kept it overnight. The vibration is still the same as I remeber it, however the high frequency metal on metal sound is gone (presumably the exhuast flapper) and instead a sound that I can only describe as a drone is there at the same speeds, starts to become audbile at 75, you know its there at 80 and gets slightly louder beyond. The vibration seems to correspond with the sound and it seems they are connected. The best analogy i can make is when you are on an airplane and you can here the slight drone of the engines from inside the cabin while at altitude. I think this noise was always there but masked by the vibration of the exhuast flapper and probably what was causing the flapper to make noise, now the flapper is silent you can hear the drone clearly.

I also asked to drive a brand new truck of the lot with the same specs. I took it down the highway with the assistant service manager. It vibrated nearly identical to mine, however there was no noise or drone sound inside the cab. I took him on the same stretch of highway in my truck to show him the difference, he also agreed both trucks vibrate very similarly, but the noise was there and that I leave it with them while they try to isolate it. According to him they havent been test driving it at those speeds to hear that noise, and that it sounds like a front wheel bearing issue.

I have my truck now and am bringing it back Monday for them to look at the front wheel bearings. As far as the vibration issue they state they have done all they can do, and I agree that the new truck I drove vibrates just like mine.

I'm hoping once they fix the droning noise it will improve the vibration even more becuase the increase of the vibration and the noise feel like they are related. I havent decided what to do or if I can even ask for them to buy it back if the new trucks on the lot vibrate the same. Im holding my judgment and decision until the noise is gone and will go from there.

Edited by Aboothlsu

Thanks for the recap and going out of you way to give us all the details! The question is, why do some vibrate and some don't? If it was inherit in the design, all of them would do it not just a handful. It has to be bad parts etc. I still think the driveshaft is culprit and would like to see the results of going to a driveline shot and having then balance it and/or check the run out and yokes etc.

Edited by hotrodz37

Thanks for the recap and going out of you way to give us all the details! The question is, why do some vibrate and some don't? If it was inherit in the design all of them would do it not just a handful. It has to be bad parts etc. i still think the driveshaft is culprit and would like to see the results of going to a driveline shot and having then balance it and/or check the run out and yokes etc.

Yep! Test the driveline. Do not replace it with one from another infected truck.

I have been trying to stay up with this tread. But here is my question: Are the 6.2 1500s having the same Vib and noise issue. And Good luck to all with the issue.

I have been trying to stay up with this tread. But here is my question: Are the 6.2 1500s having the same Vib and noise issue. And Good luck to all with the issue.

Mine has the 6.2 and it doesn't vib at any speed but I get a vibration on hard take offs while tranny is in first gear and it only does it in the lower RPM, once it gets up around 4-4500rpm it starts going away.