LED 921 Reverse & Cargo Bulbs

okay so this may be a stupid question, but I already know that several people that are part of this thread are not against the use of HIDs. So my question is what do you guys think of using low powered, 15watt 921 HIDs in the reverse lights? I know the housing is different on the 2014s than in previous years, but would HID reverse lights be effective? Found some earlier than made me wonder.

Link to the reverse HIDs I found:

http://hidkitpros.com/shop/hid-reverse-lights/

ps. I just noticed those while searching for 921 LED reverse lights and those were the only HID reverse lights I saw. Just wanted to post to here to see what kind of response they get. My night vision is bad and so I am looking to get the most light I can in any direction I may have to drive in

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no real reason HIDs would not work, but using them might have a couple drawbacks.

1st) Speed. HIDs take several seconds to warm up & reach full intensity, so you might have to wait a few seconds between putting in reverse & actually backing up, depending on the circumstances.

2nd) Heat. You'd have to make sure they don't run too hot, though probably not a huge issue b/c reverse lights usually don't stay on long.

3rd) Fitment. You might have issues getting them to seat in housing, since stock plug into base which is the attached to housing. Some custom fab might be required.

So considering the possible issues above, it still shouldn't be that difficult of an install. I say give the HIDs a try. It sucks being the guinea pig but sometimes it's the only way you can find out. Let me know if you need any help/input. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

anyone have a good nighttime picture of the VLEDs in reverse housing? If so please post. Debating on whether I want to order those and drop $80 so I can put them in both the cargo lamp and reverse housings or use another LED for cargo and try the HIDs for reverse.

It appears we have cleaned out there stock, time to make someone else wealthy.

Yeah I want to order them all but they're all out of stock.. any other companies with similar quality leds?

Ok I'm slowly replacing my bbs with VLEDs. I already got the reverse, cargo and license plate bulbs. Now I want to do the turn signals and running lights. They have red and amber colored led bulbs. Would I just be better off getting the regular white ones vs the red/amber?

Ok I'm slowly replacing my bbs with VLEDs. I already got the reverse, cargo and license plate bulbs. Now I want to do the turn signals and running lights. They have red and amber colored led bulbs. Would I just be better off getting the regular white ones vs the red/amber?

You should always match the LED color to the lens color :thumbs:

You should always match the LED color to the lens color :thumbs:

Thanks, that helps. I just figured the white might be brighter then the colored bulbs.

Anyone have any experience with these bulbs by some chance? If not, Moto, do you have any input on whether these bulbs could be effective in the K2 reverse and cargo housings? They have 10LEDs rated at 5W each. Also it has a higher Lumen rating than the Vleds. 450LM vs Vled's 370LM.

Any input would help! Thinking of giving these a shot since they should be brighter and have a larger amount of LEDs on them all around so I would think they would still be effective in the K2 housings, however I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, forgot to post picture and link. Here they are:

4uhuputy.jpg

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=271416916519

^^^i bought some of these earlier this week and i installed them yesterday..they were 50w as well..paid about the same price...super brightttt!

I also bought a extra set for my cargo light but for some reason those bulbs are suppose to fit and work the same as reversed..i did notice when i tried the bulb in the cargo light socket it didn't have a snugged fit..

U ordered them earlier this week and already recieved them? Where did you get them from if you don't mind me askin. This guy is saying I won't see them until April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have any experience with these bulbs by some chance? If not, Moto, do you have any input on whether these bulbs could be effective in the K2 reverse and cargo housings? They have 10LEDs rated at 5W each. Also it has a higher Lumen rating than the Vleds. 450LM vs Vled's 370LM. Any input would help! Thinking of giving these a shot since they should be brighter and have a larger amount of LEDs on them all around so I would think they would still be effective in the K2 housings, however I could be wrong. Thanks in advance.

They definitely could be awesome... I know Cree 5w are bright little LEDs and ten should be really bright.

To those planning on taking/posting pics...

If you point the camera at the LED's, it doesn't give an accurate representation of the brightness/intensity. To really demonstrate the difference, swap one stock bulb for a LED bulb and then back up to a plain wall (white if possible). Take pics of how the LED light illuminates the wall on one side versus the stock bulb on the other.

Archived