Iridium Metallic paint review

Nice it appears your is the short bed (5ft 8)?

Let me suggest a good wax to use (on top of a good sealant)

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical_Guys_WAC_300_Pete_s_53_Paste_Wax_p/wac_300.htm

I just put some on my ashen gray and man it looks great

I went to the dealership this evening and looked at all the colors. I was really focused on the Summit white, quicksilver metallic, and Iridium Metallic. I must say all looked great, but for me (One who keeps a vehicle for 8+ years) I really want to get the color I can live with the longest. That led me to going with the Summit White. The Fire Red, looked amazing too, but I may get tired of that red. Iridium would look the best clean IMO, but for me keeping it clean would be tough. I currently own Silver, so I won't go back for fact I wanna try something new.

I use to have a white 2 Dr. Chevy blazer with chrome wheels and I loved it.

I'm waiting to pull the trigger on the 2014 Sierra, SLT, 4WD, White, Standard bed, with dark interior, 20"Chrome wheels, and power sunroof.

Edited by WhiteMike

I went to the dealership this evening and looked at all the colors. I was really focused on the Summit white, quicksilver metallic, and Iridium Metallic. I must say all looked great, but for me (One who keeps a vehicle for 8+ years) I really want to get the color I can live with the longest. That led me to going with the Summit White. The Fire Red, looked amazing too, but I may get tired of that red. Iridium would look the best clean IMO, but for me keeping it clean would be tough. I currently own Silver, so I won't go back for fact I wanna try something new.

I use to have a white 2 Dr. Chevy blazer with chrome wheels and I loved it.

I'm waiting to pull the trigger on the 2014 Sierra, SLT, 4WD, White, Standard bed, with dark interior, 20"Chrome wheels, and power sunroof.

Hi WhiteMike,

You can't go wrong with white, its easier to keep clean, hides dirt better than dark colors, and seems to last better in the sun compared to darker colors. Don't get me wrong, i like dark colors but hate trying to keep them clean and free of superficial scratches. Hell, when I buy a '15 (6.2 & 8-speed) :fingersx: I will be keeping it for a loooooonnnnnng time.

Yep, I second the feelings on white. My first truck was a '95 Chevy K1500 Z71 in white...with a blue interior. Had a white '03 Trailblazer after that, '08 Silver Birch Silvy, then most recently a '11 white Camaro. Honestly, I almost bought a white LTZ Z71 loaded '14 Silvy then really took a shine to the truck I bought. But...I decided to lease this go-round as I'm afraid the dark color may wear on me allowing me to get back into something white in a few years.

I keep going back and forth on Quicksliver and Iridium Metallic .. Pro's and Con's ... darker always looks better clean. Lighter colors will hide everything. I figured Iridium Metallic... I don't drive that much, have no kids beating the hell out of it, etc.. pretty sure it will stay somewhat clean.

I keep going back and forth on Quicksliver and Iridium Metallic .. Pro's and Con's ... darker always looks better clean. Lighter colors will hide everything. I figured Iridium Metallic... I don't drive that much, have no kids beating the hell out of it, etc.. pretty sure it will stay somewhat clean.

Iridium metallic by far probably looks the best clean, but my silver hides alot. Not near as much time trying to get rid of water spots and swirls.

• 2 months later...

RHTSooner & 07-Z71 - thanks for the great pics and info!

I just placed my own order for a double cab SLT AT w/chrome bumpers in Iridium. Now i find myself agonizing over whether i should have gone for the body colored bumpers. As you've each had yours for a little while, I wanted to ask your thoughts.

RHT - any regrets on getting the chrome bumpers over the body color?

7Z71 - any regrets on getting the body colored bumpers over the chrome?

If you had it to do over, would you do it differently?

RHTSooner & 07-Z71 - thanks for the great pics and info!

I just placed my own order for a double cab SLT AT w/chrome bumpers in Iridium. Now i find myself agonizing over whether i should have gone for the body colored bumpers. As you've each had yours for a little while, I wanted to ask your thoughts.

RHT - any regrets on getting the chrome bumpers over the body color?

7Z71 - any regrets on getting the body colored bumpers over the chrome?

If you had it to do over, would you do it differently?

No regrets, whatsoever, but I specifically wanted chrome bumpers. There was simply no way I would want to deal with the road rash on a painted bumper and I've made use of the steps in the rear more times than I can count now....okay, 36. :)

I have the Iridium Double Cab All Terrain with colored bumpers - (same truck in the pics above)

My thoughts -

The colored bumpers / grill looks better especially in the darker colors like Iridium. However, you will get more rocks chips, etc with everything being painted up front vs having chrome.

For the all terrain - I think if you have the color all terrain grill... the colored matched bumpers just look better.

Obviously GMC-AT and I look at things a bit differently but there's some mutual respect between the chrome/no chrome camps. GMC...I think you had tried the 3M paint defender with similar results as me. Utter junk. You may be well served in the long run going with some paint protection film. I've had it on my last three vehicles and just got the entire front end, sans-lower bumper, covered last week. That'll really help with road rash on your painted surfaces. I would estimate around $800 for your hood, fenders, upper and lower bumper. If you go that try to get them to throw in the door cups and door edge guards. Usually they'll have enough excess to fit those in to the sheet. I haven't been able to get the painted grille surround done yet but my guy said the template should be updated in the next couple of weeks to include that piece.