HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Has anyone seen the '15 Yukon ballasts? I was at the dealer today checking on other items and seeing a Yukon with HIDs peaked my interest. I'm curious about the wiring harness and ballasts. Perhaps it is something that could easier be converted to the Sierra? I'm guessing not, but it just made me wonder.

• Like 1

Has anyone seen the '15 Yukon ballasts? I was at the dealer today checking on other items and seeing a Yukon with HIDs peaked my interest. I'm curious about the wiring harness and ballasts. Perhaps it is something that could easier be converted to the Sierra? I'm guessing not, but it just made me wonder.

I did a quick search, not sure if I looked at everything you would need for the conversion or not. Ballasts were listed MSRP at $228.17 from GM or 177.97 online, HID bulbs are MSRP $240.00 from GM or $156 online. These were prices for a 2015 Yukon. It looked like those prices were per part, not for a pair of bulbs or ballasts. I didn't have time (or knowledge of what else would be needed) to look into any other parts (wiring harness etc.).

-Skeet

I did a quick search, not sure if I looked at everything you would need for the conversion or not. Ballasts were listed MSRP at $228.17 from GM or 177.97 online, HID bulbs are MSRP $240.00 from GM or $156 online. These were prices for a 2015 Yukon. It looked like those prices were per part, not for a pair of bulbs or ballasts. I didn't have time (or knowledge of what else would be needed) to look into any other parts (wiring harness etc.).

-Skeet

Do you have a part number you used to find the ballasts? I'm curious as to which one they are using.

Do you have a part number you used to find the ballasts? I'm curious as to which one they are using.

484632098a73a96cd8a7d77c67bffd00.jpg

I don't see anything that looks like part numbers I usually see, there is a code from each make and one for the ballast that look like RPO codes to me.

I just took that pic from my computer at work, it came from gmwholesaleparts.com. I picked a 2015 Yukon as my vehicle, they may not even be what I think they are lol.

Another site with a traditional part catalog layout may have more info, I just didn't see 2015 as an option to search for on most other sites yet when selecting your vehicle.

Edit* Since that pic is subpar, the codes it shows for the ballast when you click on it are: CK1(06) high intensity discharge headlamps(T4F), Chevrolet(X88), GMC(Z88).

It shows this ^^ same thing when you click on the bulbs too, don't think it will be much help.

-Skeet

Edited by SkeeterMcSkeet

It shows this ^^ same thing when you click on the bulbs too, don't think it will be much help.

-Skeet

Thanks. I sort of looks like it is using a D1S bulb type. If that's the case then I'm definitely going to ignore that setup all together. Thanks!

Finally installed the Sierra Spec HID kit from TRS and it exceeds everything I expected. I put in the 35w 5000k kit and although some people on this forum had me worried that they wouldn't be bright enough, it was the exact opposite. My wife has an Acura TL with HIDs and mine are much brighter. I'm sure that you can get even brighter if you change out the projectors and go for a custom 55w kit but the quality, simplicity and performance of this kit get the job done. For $200 and maybe an hours worth of work, I upgraded my headlights with the TRS HID kit and VLED 5000k fog lights and this trucks lights are now exactly what I would expect from a $50k truck!

Anyone looking for a simple upgrade that is reasonable priced, go with TRS!

I just got the same kit and installed it in my 2014 sierra all terrain. Sierra spec kit. But im having the same exact problem that i had with the cheaper kits that i had relays and error code eliminators on it. Well at night when i walk to the truck i unlock it and the lights turn. When u get in they cycle (turn off then back on) but thr passenger side does not refire. The driver side has always worked flawlessly in all 3 kits i have tried and set ups. The problem has always been the passenger side. Any ideas?

Did u purchase anything else with the install canbus harness, or did u just strickly use the sierra spec kit? Also what did u ground to on the passenger side? Thanks

I just got the same kit and installed it in my 2014 sierra all terrain. Sierra spec kit. But im having the same exact problem that i had with the cheaper kits that i had relays and error code eliminators on it. Well at night when i walk to the truck i unlock it and the lights turn. When u get in they cycle (turn off then back on) but thr passenger side does not refire. The driver side has always worked flawlessly in all 3 kits i have tried and set ups. The problem has always been the passenger side. Any ideas?

Sounds like a problem with a relay tripping when you turn the Truck on (AC power kicking in, since only DC power is available from the battery). My first guess is that you might just need a better ground location if your using the negative post on the battery or just better ground contact, meaning that you just need to scrape more paint off so the wire connection is better. Thats just a guess though since I'm not completely sure how you hooked your system up.

The guys from TRS are great too. Just give them a call. I had a ground issue on my first go around because I didn't scrape off enough paint. The guy on the phone walked me through the whole process.

Did u purchase anything else with the install canbus harness, or did u just strickly use the sierra spec kit? Also what did u ground to on the passenger side? Thanks

Nope, all I purchased was the Sierra Kit. I did purchase some extra bulbs but haven't needed them. I used the same ground on both sides. Its the small cross beam from the side panel to the grill. Just un-screwed the bolt, scraped off the paint and screwed the bolt back in with the wire in-between.

Ya thats what i used the cross suppport that goes to the front but i didnt srcape ill have to try that thanks

Make sure you scrape until it gets "shiny" the paint is pretty thing and has a grey primer that can fool you. Gotta have a good ground to make sure you don't short out the ballasts.

So i called TRS today and the guy said that my case was only the 2nd time he has heard of the problem. I tried some recommendations i scrapped the paint and tried it. I used what they use for a ground the radiator bolt. I made a jumper wire for the heck of it and tried the ground on the firewall. I swapped the ballasts around like he siggested. All that and it wont fire up the morimoto hid bulb at all, ans barely fires up the cheaper hid bulb. Thinking about tring to swap the harness around and get my power from the driverside and use that side as the source of the signal for the relays. At least if i have the same problem and its on the driver side i do t have to remover the entire air box to mess with it this sucks!

I am gonna call them back tomorrow with my finding i called them like 15 min before they closed so i didnt wanna hold him up.