HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Finally installed the Sierra Spec HID kit from TRS and it exceeds everything I expected. I put in the 35w 5000k kit and although some people on this forum had me worried that they wouldn't be bright enough, it was the exact opposite. My wife has an Acura TL with HIDs and mine are much brighter. I'm sure that you can get even brighter if you change out the projectors and go for a custom 55w kit but the quality, simplicity and performance of this kit get the job done. For $200 and maybe an hours worth of work, I upgraded my headlights with the TRS HID kit and VLED 5000k fog lights and this trucks lights are now exactly what I would expect from a $50k truck!

Anyone looking for a simple upgrade that is reasonable priced, go with TRS!

• Like 1

Finally installed the Sierra Spec HID kit from TRS and it exceeds everything I expected. I put in the 35w 5000k kit and although some people on this forum had me worried that they wouldn't be bright enough, it was the exact opposite. My wife has an Acura TL with HIDs and mine are much brighter. I'm sure that you can get even brighter if you change out the projectors and go for a custom 55w kit but the quality, simplicity and performance of this kit get the job done. For $200 and maybe an hours worth of work, I upgraded my headlights with the TRS HID kit and VLED 5000k fog lights and this trucks lights are now exactly what I would expect from a $50k truck!

Anyone looking for a simple upgrade that is reasonable priced, go with TRS!

Everyone agrees about the functionality of the kit, its the problems that come with it that are the issues. I hope yours work flawlessly for a long time!

Hi everyone. With the issues people have had with the Morimoto ballasts, I was wondering if anyone has tried taking one apart and potting it like one would with a Denso to keep the moisture out?

Hi everyone. With the issues people have had with the Morimoto ballasts, I was wondering if anyone has tried taking one apart and potting it like one would with a Denso to keep the moisture out?

I think they are waterproof to begin with. The potting shouldn't make any improvements
  • Like 1

Okay, I was just wondering with how a lot of people complain that they don't last long, and hearing about moisture problems. I'm thinking about doing the amp oem denso hid kit with the ballast potted, hope that it will last longer than a year, or two.

So for those who have done a projector retrofit in a Sierra, where did you hook the 2 red wires coming from the FXR projector? I believe it's to pull the shield down to activate the high beams. I'm sure it's self explanatory once you are in the housing but I'd like to make sure I have all info I can before I open my headlights

11bce0b844523b03add887864eb4af9d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike

On the side of the OEM projector, there is a plug for the same function. Tap into those.

DSC_2852_zpskiruaww7.jpg

Heres a link to a Mini projector retrofit in a Sierra.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?62319-Retrofitted-2015-GMC-Sierra&highlight=sierra

Edited by spurshot
  • Like 1

Mike

On the side of the OEM projector, there is a plug for the same function. Tap into those.

DSC_2852_zpskiruaww7.jpg

Heres a link to a Mini projector retrofit in a Sierra.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?62319-Retrofitted-2015-GMC-Sierra&highlight=sierra

Thanks Spurshot! [emoji4]

So for those who have done a projector retrofit in a Sierra, where did you hook the 2 red wires coming from the FXR projector? I believe it's to pull the shield down to activate the high beams. I'm sure it's self explanatory once you are in the housing but I'd like to make sure I have all info I can before I open my headlights

11bce0b844523b03add887864eb4af9d.jpg

Those pins will shove right into the oem projector plug. Wrap on heat shrink or some electeic tape though.
  • Like 1

Potting? do you mean putting the whole thing in a water tight enclosure?