HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Just installed my 55w DDM kit in place of my 35 hylux kit.

The hylux kit did not require a harness at all, but it has a built in capacitor to maintain the power to a constant power.

You may be able to get away with a capacitor inline between the OEM plug to the ballast, but you might get decreased performance.

Huge difference coming from no relay required 35w to DDM 55w (I dont have a capacitor installed for my 55w, just reverse the connector from the relay to the ballasts)

My TRS 50 watt kit has a capacitor built into the harness ans I thought that was why it didn't need the error corectors.

My TRS 50 watt kit has a capacitor built into the harness ans I thought that was why it didn't need the error corectors.

Did more driving this morning, thought i'd test out if the HIDs will stay on until I get to the car wash.... Nope! They were both off when I got there. Switching it off and back on kicks them on again but they started flickering again.

When to the hardware store and got a 16v 4700uF capacitor, installed it inline with the harness between stock signal and the harness relay. Looks like it is working now. I have only used 1 capacitor, i bought it in a pack of 5

Will try to drive more tonight, see if they hold up!

Hope it keeps working, that would be great.

I will certainly be testing the extended cap tomorrow unless some unforeseen major issue happens and even then I'll still try to make it happen. I want to get this going already and I need to know this is ready for the next step.

• Like 1

Hope it keeps working, that would be great.

I will certainly be testing the extended cap tomorrow unless some unforeseen major issue happens and even then I'll still try to make it happen. I want to get this going already and I need to know this is ready for the next step.

Didnt hold, the passenger side was cutting in and out before I installed the capacitor. Now it is pretty much a solid brick. It would flash when I try to turn it on, then nothing. Swapped sides, definitely the ballast, so I went back to my 35w hylux ones for now until i get the replacement :(

Had anyome used a rectifier to maintain the 12v to keep the hids from flashing?

this would be used instead of the harness, simpler install, less parts and technically more reliable based on qualiy.

So the truck put a chopped up 12 v signal to the DRL which shows as 6 to 8 volts generally. And i

My understandimg is the rectifier smooths it out and you get a steady 12 to 14 volts.

If anyomen is running them where did you order them?

Had anyome used a rectifier to maintain the 12v to keep the hids from flashing?

this would be used instead of the harness, simpler install, less parts and technically more reliable based on qualiy.

So the truck put a chopped up 12 v signal to the DRL which shows as 6 to 8 volts generally. And i

My understandimg is the rectifier smooths it out and you get a steady 12 to 14 volts.

If anyomen is running them where did you order them?

Yes you can, my 35w kit has a capacitor built in the ballasts, no relays to the battery at all. I am sure you suffer performance loss from this though...

I got my 55w working, found a local shop that sells 55w ballasts too.

I am using one capacitor inline to the signal of the driver side so it retains the relay connection. Working fine for 2 days now.

Coming from both kits, I would recommend the relay and capacitor, HIDs are not going off and on as much as it keeps it on for close to half a second when signal goes off

Edited by morrislee

Hi all.....I'm new to the forum and have been reading through pages and pages of posts but I haven't seen anyone post about the 2.5" FX-R. I talked to Carlos at TRS and he said I needed the 2.5" lens for the 2015 Silverado 2500. Against my better judgement I went with his recommendation and ordered the 2.5" but now I think the 3" might have been the right call. I measured mine today and it looks like the opening is at least 2.75". Do you think the 2.5" will be too small?

Hi all.....I'm new to the forum and have been reading through pages and pages of posts but I haven't seen anyone post about the 2.5" FX-R. I talked to Carlos at TRS and he said I needed the 2.5" lens for the 2015 Silverado 2500. Against my better judgement I went with his recommendation and ordered the 2.5" but now I think the 3" might have been the right call. I measured mine today and it looks like the opening is at least 2.75". Do you think the 2.5" will be too small?

3.0" fits perfect. That is what Phil from Fastheadlights uses. Not sure if he has done a 2015 2500 headlight nor have I seen anyone with a 2015 2500 do a retrofit yet but I can't imagine that GM would've used something different than what they used in the 1500s.

I was told at TRS to order the 3.0" and in the beginning pages like 1-4 all said 3" I got the 3 and it fits like a charm !

That blows, hopefully I can get them to swap them out and pay for the return shipping since they were wrong.

I even pointed TRS to this forum and asked him to double check since users were saying 3". He said they do a lot of them and 2.5" was the right size and 3.0" was too big. I guess I got the noob :(

I already did the FXR retrofit and I have a 2015.5 2500 hd

It's not like a perfect swap there is a gap between where the hole for the housing begins and where the hole on the projector starts. So it doesn't fit flush.... other then that you still have to drill the bottom two holes out of the projector..... and you still have to cut a hole out of the back of the cap ....... I went with the amp to ds2 adaptors instead of the 90 degree ds2 and go the rubber housing seals to seal the hole. Other then that idk everything else seemed to be ok wiring went like a breeze

Edited by Evolution4935
  • Like 1