HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

I thought I'd better get going on my HID retrofit and make some progress during the holidays I have off work. I coordinate measured the two projectors (OEM and RX-350 BiX) and started hand making a plate. With these plates, I hope to not have to get into the housing and modify the mount like others had to do to fit the FX-R. I'm planning for a straight bolt it fit.

DSC_2804_zps8930aecd.jpg

Hey bud. The only issue you are going to run into is that you can not get the oem projector out the back of the headlights. ...........Your bracket looks good so far. I would be happy to sell you some of the FXR brackets I have made up. I have a 3d printer in my shop and can make other parts if you need. I am not a registered vendor on here so I don't want to come off like I am trying to sell stuff. So i will leave it at that. Lol.

4.478" is the outter of the inner ring

Jus lookin for the inside diameter of the skirt of the cap, not the outside of the cap. What I'm suggesting is a possible glueing of a cup into the skirt to make a deeper cap.

Hey bud. The only issue you are going to run into is that you can not get the oem projector out the back of the headlights. ...........Your bracket looks good so far. I would be happy to sell you some of the FXR brackets I have made up. I have a 3d printer in my shop and can make other parts if you need. I am not a registered vendor on here so I don't want to come off like I am trying to sell stuff. So i will leave it at that. Lol.

I'm planning on cutting the rear of the housing off without baking, then glueing it back on with 3m Scotch Weld 2216 flexible structural adhesive which is designed for this type of plastic, but is very pricey. I was a manufacturing engineer and machinist in a past life. I'm committed to doing a RX retrofit in my truck. I have access to full machining and laser cut equipment. Your FX-R brackets wouldn't be of any use for my retrofit, but some of the others here may be interested. I think the FX-R is a great projector, but it just isn't a great fit in the Sierra and it's just something I can't bring myself to do. I just can't bring myself to drill holes at angles and holes that breakout the edge, etc.. Just not in my DNA. Besides, the RX is looking like a great fit and we all know they are great performers, even if the cutoff isn't as straight as a FX-R. I'm doing this retrofit for a hunting rig that I want great lights for long road trips. I'm not concerned about the straightness of the cutoff. But I did install STi-R lenses and tuned them up.

I'm planning on cutting the rear of the housing off without baking, then glueing it back on with 3m Scotch Weld 2216 flexible structural adhesive which is designed for this type of plastic, but is very pricey. I was a manufacturing engineer and machinist in a past life. I'm committed to doing a RX retrofit in my truck. I have access to full machining and laser cut equipment. Your FX-R brackets wouldn't be of any use for my retrofit, but some of the others here may be interested. I think the FX-R is a great projector, but it just isn't a great fit in the Sierra and it's just something I can't bring myself to do. I just can't bring myself to drill holes at angles and holes that breakout the edge, etc.. Just not in my DNA. Besides, the RX is looking like a great fit and we all know they are great performers, even if the cutoff isn't as straight as a FX-R. I'm doing this retrofit for a hunting rig that I want great lights for long road trips. I'm not concerned about the straightness of the cutoff. But I did install STi-R lenses and tuned them up.

I knew you must have had a machinist background. Lol. My dad was a machinist for 42 years as well. He shared a lot with me and I guess that is where I get my itch to make parts too. Lol. Those RX projectors are a good choice. Be interested to see the fitment. The Fxr plates/kit I have don't require angle drilled or any for that matter. Just the cutting off of the mounting posts for the factory projector. Not sure if you will have to do that with the slimmer RX unit so that will be good. Just make sure u use a hot knife when you cut the back off. Obvious statement I know but thought I would say it anyhow. Lol. Getting black chips out of the light would be a nightmare.

Mike on here sent me a picture of the extended caps made for the GMC already. The Silverado is different and if it fits the stock one is more extended the the extended gmc caps. I'm trying to get mine to the printer today but don't know when he can run them yet.

Spur the measurement I took was of the part that slips into the headlight so the opening has to be a few thou larger to work with silverado caps.

I knew you must have had a machinist background. Lol. My dad was a machinist for 42 years as well. He shared a lot with me and I guess that is where I get my itch to make parts too. Lol. Those RX projectors are a good choice. Be interested to see the fitment. The Fxr plates/kit I have don't require angle drilled or any for that matter. Just the cutting off of the mounting posts for the factory projector. Not sure if you will have to do that with the slimmer RX unit so that will be good. Just make sure u use a hot knife when you cut the back off. Obvious statement I know but thought I would say it anyhow. Lol. Getting black chips out of the light would be a nightmare.

Phil,

I've followed your Sierra retrofits since I first bought my truck in March. The white Sierra owned by a GM-Truck forum member in CA looked great. I believe I called and spoke with you in the summer as well as a couple other shops. Everyone was doing the FX-R retrofit. But as I mentioned, I just wasn't happy with the fit of the FX-r. So, I studied the projectors until I was willing to chance a few dollars toward this. I'll post the details. I have some ideas, not only on the projectors, but on the overall installation, that I think the Sierra owners and possibly you, will like.

Regarding the posts on the gimble. They won't need to be cut down.

Edited by spurshot

I can't wait to see what some of you guys come up with as far as mounting solutions for a retro go so there's not all the crazy drilling and what not involved. My morimoto kit just got here this morning, but I have a feeling from looking at some of the pics in this thread that I'll want to do a retrofit sooner than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea a 1 inch hole though the dust cap. Put the grommet in and seat the bulb, connecting the bulk plug inside the light to the adapted in the grommet. You'll only connect that adapted on one side so don't worry about the dangling plug when you do the side without the wiring harness on it.

Other than that it's easy. Mount your ballasts and relay assembly upright to prevent water damage and dielectric grease your connections.

Test everything a dozen times before assembling lol