HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Finished doing the FX-r retro for my fathers truck. I am amazed at how much FX-rs blow away my Mini h1 retro on my Avalanche, the foreground on the FX-r looks nasty but still drown out minis. Got to thank block8head for the help, was confused on if the d2s socket fit without major cutting to the cap but it turns out the back of it needs to be cut out, I cut out more than what was needed just so that the wire was not strained, I sealed the hole up with AC aluminum tape. Not pretty but the tape holds to the elements.

I used 3.0 FXrs, Phillips 85122 bulbs, Morimoto D2s long cord ballasts, Morimoto CanBUS and HD relay harness. I still have to install a delay relay that I made today to prevent lights from turning on before engine crank.

2013-12-22172207_zpsd4d8c91a.jpg

2013-12-22130908_zps5763f731.jpg

2013-12-22133420_zps5b35a09d.jpg

Now I am praying that the 2.5 inch lens FXrs I have sitting in the garage will fit the Avy since their isn't a lot of room behind the light. Got to love how mods always leaves to other mods.

My Silverado rear cover had to be cut just like this one to clear the new 3" FX-R projector. Does it clear on the Sierra? I have never seen the back of the Sierra lights. I even have asked people to post photos, but no one ever does. It's like they are ashamed of their lights or something.

i just ordered fxr projectors and the morimoto hid set from what i am reading the back cap will not fit back on with this installed? what are people doing for this has anyone made an aftermarket cap to fit?

Yeah the XB35 kit just hits the rear of the dust cap not allowing you to screw it on. I ended up cutting a square hole in the back of the DC. I then cut some rubber gasket material and siliconed it from the inside of the DC. I then made a small slit in the rubber, pulled the wires through and then siliconed around where the wires exit. They would fit just fine except that the harness comes straight off the bulb where stock bulbs have that L shape pointing down.

I don't know what is going on with TRS and Morimoto kits, but I've had 2 ballast fail within three months. I ordered a spare ballast for the justin-case another ballast fails... and TRS sends me the wrong ballast. I didn't open the package until 2 months later because I didn't need it. When I went to install, is when I found out. I contacted TRS and asked them to pay for shipping because they messed up, I was told I need to cover shipping due to it being longer than 30 days. I don't remember the guys name, but he told me, "it's not that expensive to ship back to them". I understand its not that much money to return, but now its the principle. I didn't get what I ordered, your parts continue to fail, and now... customer service sucks. I told TRS, either cover the shipping or lose a customer. I guess they are going to cover the shipping now. But at this point, it's been about 2 weeks. I need recommendations for a new HID kit.

I installed the FX-R kit

Edited by JaronM3

I guess I should have made it public since the private messages we did after the posts didn't do it for you. Wait it was all public and I even told you in private message. My plan is not to get rich from this, but since I came with an idea to help the other owners and no one jumped up with the resources to do it when I posted about it, I made sure I could get it done and started moving forward. I plan to offer them to the others to help them as well and is the reason I made it public. Now, it might cost $50 to make a set when they are final (Just a number to work with at this point as I don't know), but I've already spent that to get this started and if the first set are not a go I could be in my first set at $300 (Just another guess, like my time frame as this is not a business I'm running). So, I do plan to add $1 or 2 to each cap after the costs. If I sell enough that mine get to the same prices as others great. If not and I sell 3 sets whatever. I would have made my set either way. If they take off and hundreds are sold and I make a tiny profit, awesome. In your statement your amazed no one has done anything about it, I am and have been and despite telling you directly you still just jump in. Now I'm done with this and will keep everyone posted on my progress in this post. Good bye, Silverado2015.

Crf450r420, on 21 Dec 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:snapback.png

Check my pictures. I have the factory projectors still out so I can take pictures of that from any angle if it helps. I'd like to see the back cover on the GMC to see if it's anything like the Chevy. I'm working on a cover for the rear of the Chevy that will allow us to put the extended cover right over the new projector with room for grommets to make it a more professional install. I'm going to do some measurements today, so we can draw it up and make the prototype in January.

silverado2015, on 05 Jan 2015 - 6:52 PM, said:snapback.png

im not here to piss anyone off, was going to do it at cost to benefit other members. I didn't have time to wait for someone to do it considering these trucks have been like this since 2014 i believe. I just bought the truck looked into hids seen other people having the problem with the cap and was surprised no one did anything about it. I know you have been working on one im not here to undercut you if youre trying to turn a profit or something. Just was trying to help thats all sorry about that.

Im sure if yours comes out awesome ill check them out for sure