HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Just a quick update for everyone. Our retrofit kits on our website (fastheadlights.com) will be updated this evening. The Morimoto D2S 4.0 is now replaced with the 5.0. Some improved performance and still the same easy install as the 4.0 using our retrofit brackets. Price point remains the same.
Changes to the new projector are:
AR (anti reflective coating). This will give a blue tint to the lenses but also allows for a said 10% more light transmission.
New bulb holders. No more multi piece holders.
Flat shield. They ditched the stepped looking shield and now has a sloped shield. Simply places light differently.

d841abb733dbf999c27ce44a69e3c5d0.jpg8e1873da974aadaa29108c422a5ca2dc.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, FastWS6TA said:

Just a quick update for everyone. Our retrofit kits on our website (fastheadlights.com) will be updated this evening. The Morimoto D2S 4.0 is now replaced with the 5.0. Some improved performance and still the same easy install as the 4.0 using our retrofit brackets. Price point remains the same.
Changes to the new projector are:
AR (anti reflective coating). This will give a blue tint to the lenses but also allows for a said 10% more light transmission.
New bulb holders. No more multi piece holders.
Flat shield. They ditched the stepped looking shield and now has a sloped shield. Simply places light differently.

d841abb733dbf999c27ce44a69e3c5d0.jpg8e1873da974aadaa29108c422a5ca2dc.jpg

Awesome.  Do you have any pics of just the brackets, can the brackets be purchased seperately if the 5.0's are already in hand?  Would like to see some shots from the front to see that gap.  Please post!

Awesome.  Do you have any pics of just the brackets, can the brackets be purchased seperately if the 5.0's are already in hand?  Would like to see some shots from the front to see that gap.  Please post!
Hey there. I'll get some pics for you. But yes, the brackets can be purchased separately. I charge $25 for them. I am updating the product page for them.54fe04175cd9d25692982982a2474113.jpg

• Like 1

Installed my d2s 4.0 kit from Phil at fast headlights.  Nice clean kit took about an hour and a half to install.  The light output is unbelievable even after having hids in my stock projectors. Only picture I have so far. For comparison they are 5500 bulbs and I have morimoto led fog lights. 

DSC_0230.JPG

• Like 2

So I don’t think I did a hood job of sealing this headlight up when I did my projector retrofit.

Any easy way to get the moisture out without taking the headlight out?

Also Phil, whats the black glue/sealant you spec’d for the retrofit? so I can buy another tube.

96B5096B-BEE9-4F8E-A3C0-043F4691A89D.jpeg

I had my first good night drive since installing my Morimoto D2S 4.0 kit from fastheadlights. 

Combined with the Rigid fogs this setup absolutely rocks! I knew the stock headlights sucked but wow what an improvement. I could see far enough to maintain a good speed and could see the ditches and wider to watch for wildlife.

Than you fastheadlights!

I had my first good night drive since installing my Morimoto D2S 4.0 kit from fastheadlights. 
Combined with the Rigid fogs this setup absolutely rocks! I knew the stock headlights sucked but wow what an improvement. I could see far enough to maintain a good speed and could see the ditches and wider to watch for wildlife.
Than you fastheadlights!
That is great to hear! Thank you for the feedback in here as well.

So I don’t think I did a hood job of sealing this headlight up when I did my projector retrofit.

Any easy way to get the moisture out without taking the headlight out?

Also Phil, whats the black glue/sealant you spec’d for the retrofit? so I can buy another tube.
96B5096B-BEE9-4F8E-A3C0-043F4691A89D.thumb.jpeg.d9270457103ce4a1596d7443bd6cbd26.jpeg
Give that a few days to clear up. It might just be humidity forming condensation inside the light and not an active leak. Maybe.... Where are you located? In SC it was humid as shit and relatively warm about a week and a half ago. I had two sets of lights in the shop on a Saturday. As soon as they installed them the temps dropped. That night both of them fogged up instantly. No leaks, just the humidity in the air when I sealed them up was trapped in the lights. After a few days the lights cleared up as they had some time to "exhale" the moist air through the breather vents. But nobody likes to see this happen for sure. So like I said, give it a chance to clear up. Park it facing the sun so it can heat up. If you start to see water pooling along the bottom of the light then this is a sign of a leak.
Permatex black silicone adhesive to seal the back or Retrorubber if you removed the lenses to do the install.

14 hours ago, FastWS6TA said:

Give that a few days to clear up. It might just be humidity forming condensation inside the light and not an active leak. Maybe.... Where are you located? In SC it was humid as shit and relatively warm about a week and a half ago. I had two sets of lights in the shop on a Saturday. As soon as they installed them the temps dropped. That night both of them fogged up instantly. No leaks, just the humidity in the air when I sealed them up was trapped in the lights. After a few days the lights cleared up as they had some time to "exhale" the moist air through the breather vents. But nobody likes to see this happen for sure. So like I said, give it a chance to clear up. Park it facing the sun so it can heat up. If you start to see water pooling along the bottom of the light then this is a sign of a leak.
Permatex black silicone adhesive to seal the back or Retrorubber if you removed the lenses to do the install.

NJ

They’ve had no moisture for like a year, all of a sudden it was raining hard one night and I drove in it, next day I see the condensation.

It’s been well over a week with seemingly no change in the amount of water inside so I’m thinking I need to some how let it breathe and warm it up.

I cut the back off I didn’t bake the headlight. Thinking maybe I missed a spot with the adhesive. I also think I only installed one of those 3d printed support bracket things, when your directions say to install 2, so it may have seperated.

On 7/7/2013 at 2:46 PM, MotoMedic said:

Bulbs - This should go without saying but never touch the glass part of the headlight bulbs, HID or Halogen! The oils on your fingers may cause them to shatter when they head up.

Many HID kits include additional O-rings, so that you can adjust the fit of the bulb in the socket. If your kit did not include any, and you feel the bulb isn't seating correctly, you can pick up spares at any parts store. Keep in mind however, the majority of HID bulbs will never fit as tight/snugly as the stock halogen bulbs, so don't fret too much.

It's important to note there is a certain orientation in which the bulbs must be positioned when inserting into the stock housing. I can't remember the exact was to insert them as it's been a good while since I did mine, but there's a simple way to check if your are correct. When parked about 10 feet from a wall, if you notice little diamonds of light above the cut-off line, it means you need to rotate the bulbs' orientation slightly (if you thumb is at the 9 o'clock position when removing, without changing grip, try inserting the bulb with your thumb at 12 or 1 o'clock).

rotate.jpg

OMG thanks for this.  I was wondering if that was the deal because my cutoff on my sierra morimoto HID kit looks like ass.  Great, now I get to pull the GD airbox again!  :)

• 1 month later...

I forgot all about this thread. I just ordered my kit from Phil tonight. I went with the md2s 5.0’s and the 5500k bulbs. I’ve had PnP HIDs for years in all my vehicles and finally got a great deal on some High Country lights. I talked the wife into letting me retro them too. 12586fe7d0d98a44e364235780a73b6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 7:42 PM, cbrsilv15 said:

I forgot all about this thread. I just ordered my kit from Phil tonight. I went with the md2s 5.0’s and the 5500k bulbs. I’ve had PnP HIDs for years in all my vehicles and finally got a great deal on some High Country lights. I talked the wife into letting me retro them too. 12586fe7d0d98a44e364235780a73b6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome.  Take lots of pics, I want to see how far back the projector sits from the stock bezel compared to the stock projectors with his brackets.  I still have plans to get some, still trying to figure out what to do with the gap.  You can clearly see the stock gap in your pic which is small.

• Like 1

I have been reading this thread and doing some research. As of this morning I was ready to pull the trigger and order the retro kit from lightwerkz until I saw the kit from fastheadlights and noticed there is not a relay harness. Can anyone tell me why that is. I really want to do a retro fit with hid lights but want it to be right. Also is it worth doing 50watt ballasts over 35watt